• 88 results
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gunraidan

We all have our own cult classics when it comes to movies, books, TV, etc. But what about games?

Well I'll start off by listing my cult classics:

Digimon World (Playstation)

Digimon World
Digimon World

Digimon World at the time (and possibly even now) was the ultimate monster raising game. The game started off by getting transported to some strange world inside of your Digimon battle toy. Inside you find out that the previous capital city is all but abandoned and strange things have been going on throughout the world.  You are given a "Digimon" in which you can raise and care for as well as have it go to battle. This game took the little portable monster raising games to another whole level. It took you to a free-roaming world and a RPG like story and stat system. Besides the horrible/almost impossible evolution system this game was almost flawless. Truly a classic gem.

Snatcher (SEGA CD)
Snatcher
Snatcher

Kojima's hidden gem. Before the epic "Metal Gear Solid" he worked on some legendary adventure games being Snatcher and Policenauts, in which the latter I've (sadly) never played. However I have played the former and it lives up to his quality and ego in every form. Obviously borrowing from Bladerunner and The Teriminator as well the game leads you onto a stunning Adventure/Light-Gun hybrid.

Touhou Project 8: Imperishable Night (PC)

Touhou Project 8: Imperishable Night
Touhou Project 8: Imperishable Night

When asking one what there favorite shoot-em-up is, they often respond with games like "Radiant Silvergun", "Ikaruga", "DoDonPachi", and what not. However I differ. My favorite shoot-em-up is "Touhou Project 8: Imperishable Night" a freeware (in the United States at least) doujin shoot-em-up. Tight feel, tight controls, excellent level design, and epic music this game has it all.

Now that I have listed mine, what are some of your cult classics?

Rules: - The game has to be at least 3 years old.
             - It has to be a "lesser" known game. So you can't list games like Halo or even Skies of Arcadia or Ikaruga.
joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By joey

Mickey's Racing Adventure for the GBC.  Best Game Boy racing game EVER.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By trulyalive

Starsky and Hutch.
God I loved that game.
Also going back through the years, does anyone remember that old arcade Star Wars Trilogy game?
That was fucking intense ^_^
And now that I think of it, Die Hard Trilogy for PSOne. I never knew anyone else who owned it, but it was a firm favourite of mine for many years.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gunraidan
Bo17 said:
"Starsky and Hutch.
God I loved that game.
Also going back through the years, does anyone remember that old arcade Star Wars Trilogy game?
That was fucking intense ^_^
And now that I think of it, Die Hard Trilogy for PSOne. I never knew anyone else who owned it, but it was a firm favourite of mine for many years."
Ahh I remember Star Wars Trilogy. Was fun aside from the horrid lightsaber control.
trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By trulyalive

I came across it a few weeks back and I was wondering whether the lightsabers were always that bad, or if i was just used to smoother gaming...

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheFreeMan

I remember that Digimon game. I could never get the right evolution :(

Lost Kingdoms (Gamecube)

caption
caption

At the time of my experience with this game, I had played no previous card-based RPGs. So, I was very sketchy on playing this since I thought it would a boring affair similar to the (somewhat enjoyable) Final Fantasy card-games. Boy, was I wrong. There wasn't much cooler to me (at the time) than seeing a big, mean looking lizardman get messed up by a huge werewolf that I summoned. The story caught my attention somehow, and going around wasting monsters with other monsters while customizing decks was a great way to kill some time. The sequel I didn't enjoy so much (I think it was because of the lack of random-esque battles). A hidden gem.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By weltal

Ghost Master. I've never heard anybody talk about it but it was alot of fun.

caption
caption
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Black_Rose

Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense

The most fun i ever had with any PSone game, i still play it to this very day.

Star fox Assault

Alongside Adventures, this is the most hated Starfox game ever. I really loved it, even though it was really short, i beat it at least once a year ever since it was released, multiplayer almost every weekend with my bro and sis. And yes i loved the on-foot missions.

Pepsiman

Seriously, what's not to like about this awesome on-rails adventure game?

Wave Race: Blue Storm

Everyone who got a gamecube on day one probably played this game, but it was soon forgotten once Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine and others appeared. Best racing game ive played, it was impressive the first day and it still is impressive today.

Endless Ocean
      I was pretty much the only person in the world who was hyped for this game, i love it, beautiful, relaxing, amazing.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheFreeMan
Black_Rose said:
"

Star fox Assault

Alongside Adventures, this is the most hated Starfox game ever. I really loved it, even though it was really short, i beat it at least once a year ever since it was released, multiplayer almost every weekend with my bro and sis. And yes i loved the on-foot missions.

Pepsiman

Everyone who got a gamecube on day one probably played this game, but it was soon forgotten once Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine and others appeared. Best racing game ive played, it was impressive the first day and it still is impressive today.

Endless Ocean
      I was pretty much the only person in the world who was hyped for this game, i love it, beautiful, relaxing, amazing.

"
Agreed on Star Fox Assault. I love/loved that game, and still play it every once and a while.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gunraidan
Weltal said:
"Ghost Master. I've never heard anybody talk about it but it was alot of fun.
caption
caption
"
Looks interesting.

Black_Rose
said:

Star fox Assault

Pepsiman

Endless Ocean

"
A lot of people enjoy Endless Ocean at Insert Coin. You know that site you should register for and post in. ;)
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By kush
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Black_Rose
Gunraidan said:
A lot of people enjoy Endless Ocean at Insert Coin. You know that site you should register for and post in. ;)"
Oh dont worry, im going to.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Gregory Horror Show is immensely under appreciated. I could never get past that fish guy in the basement though. At least, I think it was a fish guy.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Rose

Completely forgot about:

Apocalypse

Awesome, badass game

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Pibo47

killer clowns from outerspace.

Luffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Luffy

Dude, Digimon World was great, but I played the hell out of Digimon World 2.  Without even having beaten the game first, I am one of the only people in the world who can attest first hand that the gameplay timer stops at 99:99

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer
Strider 2 (PS1)
Strider 2
Strider 2

Both the sequel to one of my favorite Genesis games AND the original?!?  Kinda like the "Orange Box" of back in the day.  If you like action/platform games, get this game.  Too awesome.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX (PS1)
Dave Mira Freestyle BMX
Dave Mira Freestyle BMX

Tony Hawk - skateboards + bikes = this game.  I don't know why this series didn't take off like Tony Hawk and SSX did, but I think it deserved to.
Luffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Luffy
TheFreeMan said:
"I remember that Digimon game. I could never get the right evolution :(

Lost Kingdoms (Gamecube)

caption
caption

At the time of my experience with this game, I had played no previous card-based RPGs. So, I was very sketchy on playing this since I thought it would a boring affair similar to the (somewhat enjoyable) Final Fantasy card-games. Boy, was I wrong. There wasn't much cooler to me (at the time) than seeing a big, mean looking lizardman get messed up by a huge werewolf that I summoned. The story caught my attention somehow, and going around wasting monsters with other monsters while customizing decks was a great way to kill some time. The sequel I didn't enjoy so much (I think it was because of the lack of random-esque battles). A hidden gem."

dude, yes!  Back in the day, I summoned the hell out of some Zombie Dragon.  Toxic breath ftw!  The Lich was the most useful, but the purple dragon crawling out of he ground was always awesome to me.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gunraidan
SoulEdgeSlayer said:

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX (PS1)
Dave Mira Freestyle BMX
Dave Mira Freestyle BMX

Tony Hawk - skateboards + bikes = this game.  I don't know why this series didn't take off like Tony Hawk and SSX did, but I think it deserved to.
"
I remember the whole extreme sports craze of the late 90's/early 00's.
Robocop111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Robocop111
caption
caption
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Black_Rose
Gunraidan said:
"I remember the whole extreme sports craze of the late 90's/early 00's."
Yeah me too, i also remember the Matt Hofman and Kelly Slater games
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gunraidan
Black_Rose said:
"Gunraidan said:
"I remember the whole extreme sports craze of the late 90's/early 00's."
Yeah me too, i also remember the Matt Hofman and Kelly Slater games"
Nothing was as bad as last years shooter phase. NOTHING. Seriously the market has never been so saturated since the platformer craze of the early 90's.

P.S. You should post in GG Weekly not in the Blogs :P
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Black_Rose
Gunraidan said:
"Nothing was as bad as last years shooter phase. NOTHING. Seriously the market has never been so saturated since the platformer craze of the early 90's.

P.S. You should post in GG Weekly not in the Blogs :P"
  Didn't find any of the news interesting so far :P
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Emilio
Pibo47 said:
"killer clowns from outerspace."
Luls, that's a movie not a game.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gunraidan
Black_Rose said:
"Gunraidan said:
"Nothing was as bad as last years shooter phase. NOTHING. Seriously the market has never been so saturated since the platformer craze of the early 90's.

P.S. You should post in GG Weekly not in the Blogs :P"
  Didn't find any of the news interesting so far :P"
You have to post in the noon/afternoon that's when it is active.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By hazelnutman
Pocky and Rocky.
Awesome co-op for the SNES. I played it with my friends all the time. Hilariously translated text too. Loved it.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Johnny5

Sorry if it's a little long.

Secret of Mana

caption
caption

The game that got me into rpgs. Although Im not a fan of the general turn based japanese rpg today.

Secret of Evermore
caption
caption

Another rpg I adore.

Mechwarrior Series
caption
caption

Giant battlemechs, what else is there?

Harvest Moon
caption
caption

Farming is surprisingly addictive...

Age of Empires 2
caption
caption

This game got me hooked into RTSs, along with Command and Conquer on the N64.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kush

Another few I'd add to my list would be:

• Extermination
  • Aggressive Inline
  • Way of the Samurai
  • Mafia
krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By krazychris
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Shogo (PC,) 1998
Someone made a killer page for it here on GB
Awesome FPS that featured on foot levels as well as levels that allowed you to control giant mechs (of your choosing, and they'd all have different attributes.) It's odd to find such an entertaining FPS with such interesting mechanics (on foot / mech) and such an off-beat Japanese feel. This made made seamless vehicle control as we know it in modern day FPS games look like child's play. One moment you were on foot, the next you were in an enormous MCA batlling other mechs and squishing tiny human enemies underfoot - it all controlled flawlessly, and felt incredible.
On Foot:

In Mech:

Blood II (PC,) 1998
Dark and gritty FPS with insanely fun weapons and a sense of humor that blended prefectly into the atmosphere. One of the earliest FPS's (if not THE earliest) I remember playing that featured dual wielding of non-standard (non pistol) arms. Forget your standard SMG dual wield (which this game has, of course) there's nothing better than dual wielding two sawed-off, double-barreled shotties and blowing enemies into a haze of red goo, or dual wielding flare guns and setting them ablaze. The Orb and the Life Leech remain two of my favorite weapons ever to see the light of day in the FPS genre.

Those two are must plays. At least, they were at one time... and to me remain so to this day.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By ZenaxPure

Hmm, I have a few of these I guess:

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - This is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, video games ever. I loved the graphics, the story, the combat. Everything about the game was near perfect for me. My only complaint was the save system requiring tokens for you to save. That is NOT something that neds to be in RPGs for the love of god, I only got to save 3 times my original play through of the game.

Clash at Demonhead - Out of all the NES games I remember playing as a kid this one sticks out the most. It actually went the extra mile for a NES game and tried to include a compelling story and the route system used for levels was amazing. If I ever get one of my NESes working again I am going to try and beat it.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - I actually just got this game a few years back. The story was really a huge let down but the game had a really solid battle system, something I was surprised by in a PS1 RPG. I really liked the graphic style, really nice 2D look.

That is it for now I guess....
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Disgaeamad

Digimon World was amazing, although I could never beat it as I played the Spanish version (since I was living in Spain at the time), which had a glitch where you couldn't progress further than the 2nd floor of the last area.

Also, Touhou is not freeware, despite the fact that they haven't been released outside of Japan, although I would agree that they are a "cult classic" amongst the fans who don't live in Japan (as it's pretty damn huge series there). The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil would have to be my favourite, though, as I really enjoyed the characters, music and spell card patterns (which I believe to be the most entertaining in the series). That, and the fact that EoSD is the only one that's made me see bullets whenever I closed my eyes after a couple of hours worth of playing.

Edit: I just realised, you posted a screenshot of Perfect Cherry Blossom when referring to Imperishable Night.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#35  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm an old school PC gamer, and a lot of the games I think of as being cult classics were actually big sellers then.  However, given their relative rarity in conversation on GB, I'll throw a few into the mix.

PC:
Quest for Glory/Police Quest/Leisure Suit Larry/Space Quest adventure series
Freddy Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist
Shadow Warrior
Rise of the Triad
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Syndicate
Jagged Alliance series
Silent Storm

CONSOLES:
Disgaea (really, most of Nippon Ichi's strategy RPG's)
Dark Cloud
Rogue Galaxy
Vigilante 8 series
Suikoden
Discworld

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Randolph

The one and only.  The peak of gaming for me, the last game I was truly and absolutely excited to get my hands on.

Ladies and gents.

Shenmue

caption
caption
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Randolph - I freakin' loved Shenmue 2.  Still do love it.  Does anyone know if it's on the BC list for the Xbox 360?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Randolph
Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
"Randolph - I freakin' loved Shenmue 2.  Still do love it.  Does anyone know if it's on the BC list for the Xbox 360?"
It is indeed fully BC on the 360.  I loved Shenmue 2 as well, but on the whole prefer the environments and characters of the first game.  I can still, to this day, get lost in the original Shenmue.  Hell, I still feed the cat and get the chinese guy a soda.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Rock!  If I didn't have a to-be-played list a mile long, I'd go back this weekend and start it again.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By BoG

First, this is a great idea for a discussion.

Astro Boy: Omega Factor - This GBA title should have been much more popular then it actually was. A shooter co-developed by Treasure? What isn't to love. Unfortunately, nobody played it. The game featured a number of levels through which you progressed, each with a fast paced blend of shooting, platforming, and beat-em-up gameplay. In between were flying shooter levels resembling R-Type, and tons of huge, awesome bosses. Once you played through each level, the story made you play through again, looking for hidden things in each level, and there were many. As you progressed the first and second times, these hidden things would also increase the stat of your choice. The game had a huge variety of gameplay sequences enhancing how good it was, but unfortunately, nobody cared to play it.

Front Mission - Front Mission was originally released for the SNES exclusively in Japan, but last year, Squenix brought it to the US on the DS. The release was very quiet, and nobody noticed when one of the best turn based strategy games ever was released. No one reviewed it, almost no advertising was done, and it is a shame, because the game is a true gem. You can customize each piece of your wanzers (FM's name for mech) and you have plenty to customize. You can name them, color them, and choose from tons of optons regarding parts. Each mission provides a variety of creative objectives to carry out, and all are fun. Finally, the game offers not one, but TWO full length campaign sequences, providing for tons of gameplay.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By randiolo
  • Wipeout 2097
  • Soul Reaver
  • Donkey Kong Country (snes)
  • Tekken 3
  • Odd world abes oddysee
  • Die hard trilogy
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gunraidan
Johnny5 said:

Mechwarrior Series
caption
caption

Giant battlemechs, what else is there?

Nostalgia flowing through. This was my first PC game ever. I remember dropping my jaw over how advanced the game was for its time.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
randiolo said:
"
  • Wipeout 2097
  • Soul Reaver
  • Donkey Kong Country (snes)
  • Tekken 3
  • Odd world abes oddysee
  • Die hard trilogy
"
I just bought a Wii, four or five amazing games, and a points card so I could buy games on the Virtual Console.  What do I end up laying?  Donkey Kong Country.  I can't get enough of it.  It's not that the other games are terrible - I'm just a huge retro gamer and I never really got a chance to play a great many SNES games.  Holy crap, that second set of levels was tough!

BoG - I really liked Front Mission 4 for the PS2, despite its horrid presentation.  The combat was just plain addictive.  I'd love to see a new Front Mission on one of the consoles.
Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bear

Threads of Fate - I have probably played the demo for this game over 25 time's before I went an rented the actual game. I regret not buying it now.

Legend of Dragoon - I though it was pretty awesome back when I was like 9, so awesome that when I forgot to bring it to a house I was staying at for a weekend, I bought another copy to be able to play it. (maybe this isn't the best example since it was a PS1 Greatest Hits)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By jakob187

I think you folks all need the definition of "cult classics" explained to you:

A work of fiction that is extremely popular with a select audience but may or may not be successful at the time of the work's original publication 

Therefore, any game at all can be considered a "cult classic".  I can't remember who it was, but a few days ago, someone posted up a thread that was a series of videos about neglected 8-bit Nintendo games, and he made a strong point on there.  With the availability of the internet, opinion is too easily thrown around and criticism is next to worthless nowadays, but it also means that with so many opinions flying around, anything can be considered a classic or "underrated" or "neglected" or a "cult classic".

I honestly think that the only two games I've seen on this list so far that deserves to be considered "cult classics" are Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense and Dark Cloud.  Other than that, eh.

I'll add a third and fourth one on here, because yes, I'm that full of myself and that sure of my opinion:

Freedom Fighters by Io Interactive
Beyond Good and Evil by Ubisoft and Michel Ancel
By large, these two games are probably the two most recognizable "cult classics" of the last generation of console games.  While I could easily post up games like Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, Project Snowblind, or even something as lucrative as Vagrant Story (which is my favorite game of all time), these remain to be the only two games in my collection from the last console generation that were bought and NEVER resold to a store again.

Beyond Good and Evil featured stealth gameplay that, personally, was much more satisfying and smoother than Metal Gear Solid while offering a photo-taking element that kept you engrossed and actually had you interacting with the world around you.  Mix in lovable characters, a grand and epic story, and one hell of a staff to fight with, and you got one of the greatest "cult classics" to ever exist.

Freedom Fighters was an easily overlooked third-person squad-based shooter for consoles that grabbed me by the balls and refused to let go.  This game features one of the best, if not simply THE best, squad-management mechanics to ever be featured in a game.  The story was topical, funny, and at the same time, it really made sure you were into your environments.  To think that people complain about EA never putting out any type of original IPs...and the one time they did...no one paid attention to its brilliance.  Tsk tsk...

So, chalk those two up on the list.

**EDIT**  Oop, didn't see the second page.  Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee is an EXCELLENT choice, as is Front Mission.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:
"I think you folks all need the definition of "cult classics" explained to you:
A work of fiction that is extremely popular with a select audience but may or may not be successful at the time of the work's original publication 

Therefore, any game at all can be considered a "cult classic".  I can't remember who it was, but a few days ago, someone posted up a thread that was a series of videos about neglected 8-bit Nintendo games, and he made a strong point on there.  With the availability of the internet, opinion is too easily thrown around and criticism is next to worthless nowadays, but it also means that with so many opinions flying around, anything can be considered a classic or "underrated" or "neglected" or a "cult classic".

I honestly think that the only two games I've seen on this list so far that deserves to be considered "cult classics" are Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense and Dark Cloud.  Other than that, eh.

I'll add a third and fourth one on here, because yes, I'm that full of myself and that sure of my opinion:

By large, these two games are probably the two most recognizable "cult classics" of the last generation of console games.  While I could easily post up games like Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, Project Snowblind, or even something as lucrative as Vagrant Story (which is my favorite game of all time), these remain to be the only two games in my collection from the last console generation that were bought and NEVER resold to a store again.

Beyond Good and Evil featured stealth gameplay that, personally, was much more satisfying and smoother than Metal Gear Solid while offering a photo-taking element that kept you engrossed and actually had you interacting with the world around you.  Mix in lovable characters, a grand and epic story, and one hell of a staff to fight with, and you got one of the greatest "cult classics" to ever exist.

Freedom Fighters was an easily overlooked third-person squad-based shooter for consoles that grabbed me by the balls and refused to let go.  This game features one of the best, if not simply THE best, squad-management mechanics to ever be featured in a game.  The story was topical, funny, and at the same time, it really made sure you were into your environments.  To think that people complain about EA never putting out any type of original IPs...and the one time they did...no one paid attention to its brilliance.  Tsk tsk...

So, chalk those two up on the list.
"

Beyond Good and Evil's appeal has always amused me. BG&E is widely haled as an underrated game.

Let me say that again Beyond Good and Evil is widely haled as an underrated game. Everyone who ever mentions BG&E tells of how this great game is immensely underrated. The irony in all this, for those who have unfortunately not grasped where I am going with this, is that everyone who plays BG&E likes it.

I have never heard anyone speak poorly of this game, yet for some reason everyone seems to think they are the only ones who enjoy it.

It's just something I thought I would point out. :P
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By jakob187

I know plenty of people that didn't like it.  Most didn't enjoy the graphics of the game, which was seen as kid-like to many of them.  They also didn't care much for the fact that there was very little combat in the game.  Aside from Ubisoft not knowing how to advertise the game at all to the open market, as well as the appeal at the time for more Mature games over anything, I could easily see how this ended up in bargain bins within two weeks time.

However, we're not talking about UNDERRATED games.  We're talking about CULT CLASSICS.  Very extreme difference.  An underrated game is one that was critically panned but found an audience...like, say, The Boondock Saints as a movie...yet it still doesn't have a HUGE audience to it.  Cult classics are like Wizard of Oz, which was a bomb when it first came out, but thanks to the increasing popularity of television, it ended up finding its audience and is now considered a classic...but still, it is a cult classic.

On an off-note...I fucking hate The Wizard of Oz.  L. Frank Baum must roll over his grave every time he hears about ruby slippers...

**EDIT**  Sorry, I'm at work and wasn't able to focus well on writing out those definitions.
ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By ColMustard

it may be too early but, Too Human is an excellent game that keeps on giving.  Sorry, I know thats not the popular opinion but the game was awesome fun.

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By epgpx
101 Dalmatians: Escape from DeVil Manor

caption
caption

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:
"I know plenty of people that didn't like it.  Most didn't enjoy the graphics of the game, which was seen as kid-like to many of them.  They also didn't care much for the fact that there was very little combat in the game.  Aside from Ubisoft not knowing how to advertise the game at all to the open market, as well as the appeal at the time for more Mature games over anything, I could easily see how this ended up in bargain bins within two weeks time.

However, we're not talking about UNDERRATED games.  We're talking about CULT CLASSICS.  Very extreme difference.  An underrated game is one that was critically panned but found an audience...like, say, The Boondock Saints as a movie...yet it still doesn't have a HUGE audience to it.  Cult classics are like Wizard of Oz, which was a bomb when it first came out, but thanks to the increasing popularity of television, it ended up finding its audience and is now considered a classic...but still, it is a cult classic.

On an off-note...I fucking hate The Wizard of Oz.  L. Frank Baum must roll over his grave every time he hears about ruby slippers...

**EDIT**  Sorry, I'm at work and wasn't able to focus well on writing out those definitions.
"

Oh, I wasn't applying this to you. I know what cult classics are, Morrowind and KOTOR are cult classics. One of my all time favorite movies, American Psycho, is a cult classic. My "thoughts came to mind" when you mentioned BG&E. Sorry for any confusion.