Bethesda Announces Prey 2 For Release In 2012

• 89 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
3D Realms’ and Human Head Studios’ first-person shooter Prey will live on via a new publisher. Earlier this morning, Bethesda Softworks announced a proper follow-up to Prey simply called--wait for it--Prey 2. The game is being developed by the series’ original creator, Human Head Studios, and will see a release in 2012 across the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

As is customary with these exceedingly early announcements, meaningful details are being held for upcoming magazine spreads. Prey 2 will be featured in the May issues of both PlayStation: The Official Magazine and Official Xbox Magazine and "magazines throughout Europe," though news of this sequel has already leaked from French mag Joystick.  

The original Prey in all its glory.

If you’re hankering for something, anything, of substance about Prey 2, feel free to pick apart these words included in today’s press release: “We are thrilled to be working with Bethesda on Prey 2,” Human Head’s Chris Rhinehart said in a statement. “Prey 2 will provide gamers the opportunity to explore a new facet of the Prey universe, one that offers fast-paced action in an open, alien world. We’re excited to show gamers the title we have been working on and hope they will be as excited by this title as we are.”

Prey 2 is being built “on the cutting edge id tech engine,” which I think means id tech 5, the same engine that’s powering titles like id Software’s Rage. Normally, I’d say the game would at least look pretty as a result, but if this indeed a true sequel to 2006’s Prey, expect to see a lot of brown tones and yawning caverns lined with glistening grease and bulbous bits.     

UPDATE: Bethesda's director of marketing, Pete Hines, has confirmed that Prey 2 will not be using id tech 5. In a statement given to IGN UK he said, "This game has been in development for quite a while and id tech 5 is still in progress (until Rage ships, and probably even after). So it really wasn't an option,"
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
3D Realms’ and Human Head Studios’ first-person shooter Prey will live on via a new publisher. Earlier this morning, Bethesda Softworks announced a proper follow-up to Prey simply called--wait for it--Prey 2. The game is being developed by the series’ original creator, Human Head Studios, and will see a release in 2012 across the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

As is customary with these exceedingly early announcements, meaningful details are being held for upcoming magazine spreads. Prey 2 will be featured in the May issues of both PlayStation: The Official Magazine and Official Xbox Magazine and "magazines throughout Europe," though news of this sequel has already leaked from French mag Joystick.  

The original Prey in all its glory.

If you’re hankering for something, anything, of substance about Prey 2, feel free to pick apart these words included in today’s press release: “We are thrilled to be working with Bethesda on Prey 2,” Human Head’s Chris Rhinehart said in a statement. “Prey 2 will provide gamers the opportunity to explore a new facet of the Prey universe, one that offers fast-paced action in an open, alien world. We’re excited to show gamers the title we have been working on and hope they will be as excited by this title as we are.”

Prey 2 is being built “on the cutting edge id tech engine,” which I think means id tech 5, the same engine that’s powering titles like id Software’s Rage. Normally, I’d say the game would at least look pretty as a result, but if this indeed a true sequel to 2006’s Prey, expect to see a lot of brown tones and yawning caverns lined with glistening grease and bulbous bits.     

UPDATE: Bethesda's director of marketing, Pete Hines, has confirmed that Prey 2 will not be using id tech 5. In a statement given to IGN UK he said, "This game has been in development for quite a while and id tech 5 is still in progress (until Rage ships, and probably even after). So it really wasn't an option,"
#2 Posted by Skooky (479 posts) -

This is surprising.

#3 Edited by Chokomofo (57 posts) -

Fantastic.

@TheSmie: No.

#4 Posted by TheSmie (41 posts) -

do we really need prey 2?

#5 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

More Glory
#6 Posted by Aas (604 posts) -

hepp

#7 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
"
 More Glory
"
yum
#8 Posted by SSully (4324 posts) -

So many suggestive images........

#9 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@TheSmie said:
" do we really need prey 2? "

Early signs point to no, unless you want Tommy to become a generic CODBLOPS reject.
#10 Posted by teh_destroyer (3574 posts) -

You meen that Indian guy that could create portals? It will at least be interesting to see what Bethesda will do with it.

#11 Posted by Rolento (265 posts) -

I had no idea this game sold enough to warrant a sequel.  How very strange. 

That said, wow, finally a new something on the site.

#12 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

But who wants... whatever.

#13 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I like Rune, Dead Man's Hand, and the first Prey, so I'm glad HumanHead are doing the sequel. 

And glad to see it's doing what the original did too, using the current id Tech as an engine.

#14 Posted by Undeadpool (4997 posts) -

More protein for Mother.

#15 Posted by AlexW00d (6435 posts) -
@teh_destroyer said:
" You meen that Indian guy that could create portals? It will at least be interesting to see what Bethesda will do with it. "
I doubt much as they are publishing it, not developing it.
#16 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

The first Prey was a really good game, but from what I've seen so far Prey 2 looks nothing like the original... I haven't even seen any sign of Tommy coming back as the protagonist-- unless the generic guy on that magazine IS somehow Tommy, in which case I don't care about the sequel.

#17 Posted by Tesla (1944 posts) -

I'll be willing to give it a try if they take that damn ethnic out of the game and put in a red blooded American soldier....oh wait. 

Lame.

#18 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4987 posts) -

I don't know how to feel about this... so I shall eat this sandwich in silence and nod my head.

#19 Posted by Mento (2808 posts) -

Awesome, more swearing Injuns and vagina doors. Pass.

#20 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

NATIVE AMERICAN BLACK OPS WITH PUSSY GATES

#21 Edited by bybeach (4996 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

"More protein for Mother. "

yes that could be a bit hardcore 

and sphincters and vaginas, they were good for that and other organic effects. Prey had a lot of promise to it, and I personally liked it.  Even though it well, was a bit yucko. I mean tommy is literally shat upon if he didn't watch where he stood. Lost health too... 

I didn,t mind the spiritual side to it but the game made it all silly. Ones beliefs are often best alluded to. I did like the Hawk in concept. 

So much more could be done with this franchise that yes, I understand a sequel, and I understand it being different...in some ways.
#22 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

Prey 2? Really?

#23 Posted by Siphillis (1298 posts) -

Any word on the main character remaining an emotional little bitch?

#24 Posted by 1337W422102 (1020 posts) -

Hell yes.  New Duke this year, new Prey next year...  Is there a new Commander Keen coming out soon, too?

#25 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Thought that the first one wasn't all that bad (or great) but it did have some interesting moments, that being said maybe another look into that game world done better could be entertaining.

#26 Posted by Pop (2651 posts) -

I really liked prey until the spirit world or w\e then I was like I'm not going to finish it. I didn't know it did so good that a sequel would be made.

#27 Posted by Soap (3642 posts) -

um... why? Prey sucked :/

#28 Posted by Darkraven (170 posts) -

3d realms? :O

#29 Posted by oysteinBrenne (281 posts) -
@Soap: it has a metacritic of 83 so yeah you just look dumb for saying that 
#30 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" NATIVE AMERICAN BLACK OPS WITH PUSSY GATES "
#31 Posted by TwoLines (2841 posts) -

I really really liked prey, so yeah, that's awesome!

#32 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

why?

#33 Posted by Darkstorn (472 posts) -

Liked the first one...however if the sequel goes in more of a postmodern, 'spec-ops' military-esque direction I'd be skeptical if it could have the same degree of charm as its predecessor.

#34 Posted by ManMadeGod (1585 posts) -

I have good memories of playing Prey. Can't wait for the second.

#35 Posted by Soap (3642 posts) -
@oysteinBrenne said:
" @Soap: it has a metacritic of 83 so yeah you just look dumb for saying that  "
OH GOD NO! HOW COULD MY OPINION DIFFER TO THE ALL KNOWING METACRITIC!! 

P.S I don't care. 
#36 Posted by tim (37 posts) -

I can never understand how good studios that have a proven track record of making solid games go out of business, and then you have Human Head Studios coming out of know where to make a sequel to a game i am sure most people have long forgotten about or even care about. 

#37 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -

I really liked the original, I thought the atmosphere really came from an original place. Hearing Art Bell, on a fake Coast to Coast AM, was probably one of the biggest "oh man no fucking way" moments I've ever had in a game. That alone was reason enough to love Prey for me. 

Also, the game's heritage as a 3D Realms project, way back on the BUILD engine shined through too. Tons of useless shit was interactable in a really cool way that added a unique touch. Besides maybe The Darkness, I think Duke Nukem Forever might be the only other game since to include totally useless but cool side content like that. 

I don't really have any expectations for the sequel as of yet though, as there are no actual details of what to expect.

#38 Posted by JuggertrainUK (211 posts) -

I have been listening to some of the old bomcasts an PREY 2 was first announced on the 4th bombcast back in march 2008 so i dont know what has took so long.
#39 Posted by Psykhophear (944 posts) -

I'm psyched. I've been waiting for Prey 2.

#40 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@1337W422102 said:
" Is there a new Commander Keen coming out soon, too? "
I should hope so.
#41 Posted by 1337W422102 (1020 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @1337W422102 said:
I should hope so. "
With Cover System and Regenerating Health!
#42 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -
#43 Posted by Psykhophear (944 posts) -
@1337W422102 said:

They should make it into a platform game for the 3DS or NGP. That would be awesome.
#44 Posted by Ronald (1391 posts) -

I hope this game gets delayed for a decade or there's no way it can live up to the masterpiece of the original.

#45 Posted by 1337W422102 (1020 posts) -
@Psykhophear said:
" @1337W422102 said:
 They should make it into a platform game for the 3DS or NGP. That would be awesome. "
That would kick so much ass.  Also, DOPEFISH LIVES !
#46 Posted by Ronald (1391 posts) -
@IkariNoTekken said:
"  Will wait for some more information, in the mean time...

Here's Jeff's review of the original. "
"The development team shifted focus to go work on Duke Nukem Forever" Yeah, and how did that work out?
#47 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

So this game is still a thing?

#48 Posted by xCharlieSheen (75 posts) -

Everyone remembers their first. I bought an xbox 360 in the Summer of '06; and Prey was the first game I bought. It is a solid FPS with some Portal elements mixed in, interesting plot twists, and great atmosphere. I haven't played it in over 4 years, but I still remember seeing the main characters old, frail, grandfather getting smashed into bit's aboard the alien craft. I'll check out a sequel.

#49 Posted by Killroycantkill (1423 posts) -

I don't think anyone really wanted a new Prey. I see PC copies for the first one for 4 bucks and I still don't want to buy it.
#50 Posted by ch3burashka (5247 posts) -

Wait what? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.