Sweden is a Nordic country located on the Scandinavian Peninsula in Northern Europe. It borders with Norway to the west and Finland to northeast, and is connected to Denmark in the south by the Öresund Bridge.
Sweden is the third largest country in EU by area and has a total population of approximately 9.3 million.
The capital of Sweden is Stockholm, which is also the largest city in the country.
Sweden is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary democracy form of government and a highly developed .
It is not known when and how The Kingdom of Sweden was formed.
In the 17th century it expanded its territories to form The Swedish Empire. Most of its conquered territories were lost in the 18th and 19th century. Finland, then under Swedish rule was lost to the Russian Empire in 1809. The last war in which Sweden was directly involved in warfare was in 1814, when Sweden forced Norway into a union as a compensation for the loss of Finland. Since then, Sweden has been a relatively peaceful country with neutrality in wartimes, only officially participating in peacekeeping operations, even though it was caught multiple times throughout the cold war aiding NATO in spy operations against the Soviet Union.
The first known commercial video game developed in Sweden was Space Action for the Commodore 64, released in 1983.
Sweden is the home of Djungelvrål and "Hockey powder" (also known as "demon candy from hell"). The pop sensation ABBA is also one of Sweden's biggest cultural exports to the world.
Rally sport is very popular in Sweden and many Rally games feature Swedish racetracks.
Also, Swedish teams and arenas/stadiums are often featured in NHL and FIFA games as ice hockey and football are the two most popular sports in the country. FIFA 09 offered Swedish play-by-play commentary in free DLC.
Thanks to it's early adoption of computers and the Internet, Sweden is home to many developers, many of them starting out in the Commodore 64 and Amiga demoscene. Current Swedish developers are:
- DICE - Creators of the Battlefield series, Mirror's Edge, Motorhead and Pinball fantasies (as Refraction Games: Codename: Eagle)
- Paradox Interactive - Responsible for the Europa Universalis games and its derivatives such as Hearts of Iron and Victoria
- Avalanche - Creators of Just Cause and Just Cause 2, Renegade Ops
- Starbreeze Studios - Creators of Chronicles of Riddick, The Darkness, Syndicate and Payday 2 with Overkill Software (as O3 Games: The Outforce)
- SimBin Studios - Creators of driving sims like Race Pro and GTR
- Ubisoft Massive - Creators of Ground Control, World in Conflict, Tom Clancy's The Division and they also contribute to Ubisoft games
- Legendo - Dink Smallwood and various children's games
- Fatshark - Lead and Gold, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, Hamilton's Great Adventure, Krater, War of the Roses
- Frictional Games - Creators of the Penumbra series and Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Arrowhead Game Studio - Creators of Magicka and The Showdown Effect
- Might and Delight - Creators of Pid, Shelter
- MindArk - Creators of Entropia Universe
- Mojang - made famous by Minecraft and 0x10c
- Machine Games - ex Starbreeze employees, bought by Zenimax and released their first game Wolfenstein: The New Order in 2014.
- Overkill Software - Creators of the Payday series, recently bought by Starbreeze Studios
- Bitsquid AB - Ex Grin employees, creators of the Bitsquid Tech game engine, used by Fatshark
- Levande Böcker - Publisher of many historical edutainment titles and kids' games, such as the Mulle Meck franchise
- Dennaton - Creators of Hotline Miami and Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
There are also several companies creating casual games for the iPhone, Xbox Live etc., including SouthEnd Interactive, the makers of ilomilo.