Sweden is a Nordic country located on the Scandinavian Peninsula in Northern Europe. It borders with Norway to the west and Finland to northeast, and is connected to Denmark in the south by the Öresund Bridge.
Sweden is the third largest country in EU by area and has a total population of approximately 9.3 million.
The capital of Sweden is Stockholm, which is also the largest city in the country.
Sweden is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary democracy form of government and a highly developed .
It is not known when and how The Kingdom of Sweden was formed.
In the 17th century it expanded its territories to form The Swedish Empire. Most of its conquered territories were lost in the 18th and 19th century. Finland, then under Swedish rule was lost to the Russian Empire in 1809. The last war in which Sweden was directly involved in warfare was in 1814, when Sweden forced Norway into a union as a compensation for the loss of Finland. Since then, Sweden has been a relatively peaceful country with neutrality in wartimes, only participating in peacekeeping operations.
Sweden is the home of Djungelvrål and "Hockey powder" (also known as "demon candy from hell"). The pop sensation ABBA is also one of Swedens biggest cultural exports to the world.
Rally sport is very popular in Sweden and many Rally games feature Swedish racetracks.
Also, Swedish teams and arenas/stadiums are often featured in NHL and FIFA games as ice hockey and football are the two most popular sports in the country. FIFA 09 offered Swedish play-by-play commentary in free DLC.
Sweden is home to many developers many of them starting out in the demo scene on the Amiga and the like. Current Swedish developers are:
- DICE - makers of the Battlefield series, Mirror's Edge, Motorhead and Pinball fantasies (as Refraction Games: Codename: Eagle)
- Paradox Interactive - Responsible for the Europa Universalis games and its derivatives such as Hearts of Iron and Victoria
- Avalanche - Made Just Cause and Just Cause 2, Renegade Ops
- Starbreeze Studios - Chronicles of Riddick, The Darkness and Syndicate (as O3 Games: The Outforce)
- SimBin Studios - makes driving sims like Race Pro and GTR
- Massive - Ground Control, World in Conflict and contribute to Ubisoft games
- Legendo - Dink Smallwood and various children's games
- Fatshark - Lead and Gold, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, Hamilton's Great Adventure, Krater, War of the Roses
- Frictional Games - The Penumbra series and Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Arrowhead Game Studio - makers of Magicka and The Showdown Effect
- MindArk - makers of Entropia Universe
- Mojang - made famous by Minecraft and 0x10c
- Machine Games - ex Starbreeze employees, bought by Zenimax, working on a secret idTech 5 game
- Overkill Software - creators of PayDay: The Heist, recently bought by Starbreeze Studios
- Bitsquid AB - ex Grin employees, creators of the Bitsquid Tech game engine, used by Fatshark
- Levande Böcker - publisher of the Swedish kids games Mulle Meck franchise
There are also several companies creating casual games for the iPhone, Xbox Live etc., including SouthEnd Interactive, the makers of ilomilo.