Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 04, 2014

An MMORPG set in the world of Nirn, focusing on the familiar continent of Tamriel, taking place a thousand years before The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

The Elder Scrolls Online Will Finally Bring The Elder Scrolls Online

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By SomeJerk
    @Karkarov said:

Wow this is awfully quick for an mmo release? In 2013? I hope they started the dev work on this game a long time before Skyrim because if they didn't this will not be a polished product.

There were rumors around 2006-2007 of people being assembled for an Elder Scrolls MMORPG, and in 2007 they bought a license to a certain game engine that wasn't GameBryo. Chances are those rumors were true - the only thing we have to worry about then is the game engine, if it holds up or if it feels like something from 2007-2008.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#202  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@sthusby said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@sthusby said:

Love how people are writing this off after all they've seen is the font of the title. People are dumb.

The reasons seem logical enough to me. The Elder Scrolls gameplay has always the exact opposite of what MMO's are, so it's not surprising people are resistant.

If it's first person, focused on exploring and still feels like the Elder Scrolls, I'm in.. but come on, it's going to be nothing more than a WoW clone. I'll care if/when that turns out not to be the case.

Well, people complain over Skyrim's combat being the weakest part of it. And why keep a first person view if it doesn't enhance the gameplay? I've been hoping for a mandatory third person view in ES since Daggerfall.

The first person view makes it much more immersive. Frankly, if it's third person, it's not the Elder Scrolls.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#203  Edited By Aviar

I'm interested in seeing what they are able to do with an MMO. The Elder Scroll series keeps getting better with each release.

Definitely going to keep my eyes on this.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By baconbutty

Oh for fucks sake.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#205  Edited By RVonE
    No Caption Provided
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#206  Edited By metal_mills
    @sthusby said:

Love how people are writing this off after all they've seen is the font of the title. People are dumb.

MMO. Using the Old Republic engine, not made by Bethesda, yep, sounds awesome.
    l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By l3illyl3ob

Three different factions vying over a large persistent province? Hmm, sounds familiar.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#208  Edited By JoeyRavn

@jesterroyal said:

Dont care about an elder MMO. Now if you told me they were making an elder scrolls with local/online multiplayer. This would be a different story.

This. So much of this. I couldn't care less about MMOs, but actual co-op would be great for Skyrim.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By sthusby

@WinterSnowblind said:

@sthusby said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@sthusby said:

The reasons seem logical enough to me. The Elder Scrolls gameplay has always the exact opposite of what MMO's are, so it's not surprising people are resistant.

If it's first person, focused on exploring and still feels like the Elder Scrolls, I'm in.. but come on, it's going to be nothing more than a WoW clone. I'll care if/when that turns out not to be the case.

Well, people complain over Skyrim's combat being the weakest part of it. And why keep a first person view if it doesn't enhance the gameplay? I've been hoping for a mandatory third person view in ES since Daggerfall.

The first person view makes it much more immersive. Frankly, if it's third person, it's not the Elder Scrolls.

I disagree. What makes or brakes Elder Scrolls is exploration, freedom, creativity and longievety. One shouldn't hold on to something just because of a misplaced sense of legacy. If it hinders gameplay, why keep it? For me first person is the only thing I'd really change about ES. I'd love to be able to see my character at all times and fight in third person, without it looking like complete poop.

Avatar image for wandering_idiot
    Wandering_Idiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Wandering_Idiot

Skyrim with crappier graphics and animations, badly scaled environments, terrible clipping issues, even more repetitive quests, and idiots spamming the chat? Sign me up!

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By deerokus

Good way to waste all the money they made on Skyrim and Fallout.

sl1ppyfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By sl1ppyfist

I loved TES and Fallout because I felt alone in a giant world. I don't need to hear "Crossroads Chat" in my Bethesda games. What I'm saying is, I'm out.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#213  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

They'll have to do something seriously baller to pull any of my attention away from GW2. Kind of disappointed that they're not just opening up the entire continent in a single-player game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I find it incredible how people still don't understand that Bethesda isn't just Todd Howard's studio.  As if this has anything to do with a Fallout 4/Elder Scrolls 6/New Thing coming from BGS.  Dumb dumb dumb.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#215  Edited By Spiritof

If I could play offline, or host my own server, I would be shitting my pants right now.

ApexDefect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By ApexDefect

I really hope this doesn't play out like a traditional MMO, I like elder scrolls but I don't want to play one where I need to get 5 items from a monster.

sl1ppyfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By sl1ppyfist

On the plus side, Dishonored sounds pretty cool...

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Chtasm

Just as long as it's not a clone of any other MMO.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By excast
    @CL60 said:

@Excast said:

When will single player RPG creators get the hint that the public just isn't interested in their poorly realized MMOs? And we certainly don't want MMOs from a series that can't even produce a single player game not riddled with bugs and game breaking issues. No thanks. Toss it on the pile with Final Fantasy 14..

I don't know if you know this, but it's being made by a different group of guys, and we have seen literally nothing about it.

My god GiantBomb... >.>

Name the last successful MMO other than WoW.

Star Trek Online couldn't to it.
    The Old Republic is floundering.
    Final Fantasy 14 flopped.
    Warhammer?  Blaaaah

I could go on and on and on.  They all fail.  And this certainly isn't the economy I would want to be entering and expecting millions of subscribers to pony up $15 a month long term.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By EXTomar

@Saganomics said:

@megalowho said:

@EXTomar said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Bethesda should go with a more Minecraft system where going full on MMO seems more and more a bad idea the longer I consider it.

A make your own fun, sandbox style MMO is probably the best fit for the series. Building homes, roleplaying NPC's and all that. If they're trying to hook players in with the tried and true quest/loot/level/grind system and archetype classes, they're taking the easy way out. That shit is just naturally addictive, not good game design.

Hrrrm, yes. The whole time I was wandering around Maar Gan in Morrowind, I couldn't help thinking, "Fuck, I wish I could be the dude responsible for hollowing out all of the giant bug carcasses these fools are living in. That would be way more rad than exploring tombs."

The important thing to note is that Bethesda/designers/etc need to avoid the trap of the endless tweaking and balance "Got to make sure this monsters does this much damage while this combination of players with these skills can only do this much damage back to it..." Just grab some friends and if it turns out you are overpowered then shrug and move on.

A common component to modern MMOs is team based combat against increasingly complex boss encounters. So far there hasn't been anything remotely close seen in any ES game that would be a challenge. Either Bethesda needs to increase their multiplayer design chops in a hurry or not try and focus on other aspects. I'm believe the later is the best way to go.

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By l3illyl3ob

As a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series ever since Daggerfall, I'm not really a fan in "that way". You know the way, the one that makes you a gibbering fanboy who hates change or any installment of the series that's in a different genre. I'll reserve judgement on this game until I actually see it with my own eyes. It might become a really good MMO, who knows? Who cares if it isn't "true" to the "elder scrolls way"? They've done big departures to the formula before, like in Redguard and Battlespire.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@sthusby: I don't think it hinders the gameplay at all.. sure, the combat doesn't look as fancy as it might otherwise.. but you'd really lose the sense of scale and "being the character" if it wasn't first person. It's not supposed to be an action game, it's supposed to be immersive and the first person view works perfectly for that. If they get rid of it for this, it just cements the fact they're trying to make a generic MMO and not an Elder Scrolls game.

Time will tell though.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#223  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Hmm, not sure this is what I want from The Elder Scrolls...

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Karkarov

@SomeJerk said:

@Karkarov said:

Wow this is awfully quick for an mmo release? In 2013? I hope they started the dev work on this game a long time before Skyrim because if they didn't this will not be a polished product.

There were rumors around 2006-2007 of people being assembled for an Elder Scrolls MMORPG, and in 2007 they bought a license to a certain game engine that wasn't GameBryo. Chances are those rumors were true - the only thing we have to worry about then is the game engine, if it holds up or if it feels like something from 2007-2008.

If it was 2007/2008 and an mmo capable engine.... I would hazard a guess at either the Unreal Engine or Hero Engine. Hero Engine is what TOR uses.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Pibo47

Mother fucker. Well...will it be on consoles?

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By sthusby

@WinterSnowblind said:

@sthusby: I don't think it hinders the gameplay at all.. sure, the combat doesn't look as fancy as it might otherwise.. but you'd really lose the sense of scale and "being the character" if it wasn't first person. It's not supposed to be an action game, it's supposed to be immersive and the first person view works perfectly for that. If they get rid of it for this, it just cements the fact they're trying to make a generic MMO and not an Elder Scrolls game.

Time will tell though.

Who cares if it doesn't look fancy, the problem is that fighting is no fun at all. The only reedeming thing about combat in Skyrim are decapitations. Fuck first person I say. When I play The Witcher, Gothic or Dragon Age, I don't lose any sense of "being the character". Even with Geralt of Rivia, I can still relate to that guy, even though he has a pre determined look and everything. First person needs to go, and I'm pretty sure it does.

Avatar image for zombie_shakespeare
    Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we know very little about this MMO.

But a lot of other people have said my exact feelings on it, which is that an MMO is just not what I want from TES. It wasn't what I wanted from KotOR, either, but that happened. I don't know. I have to wait and see. But I have a bad feeling about this.

SpiralEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By SpiralEye

@RVonE: Lol Nice! Batchild found in Skyrim..

Fiscaldeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Fiscaldeal

Am I the only one who's geeking out right now?

Nonentity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#230  Edited By Nonentity

@Karkarov: It uses the Hero Engine. They licensed it back in 2007 - the HeroEngine site lists as much.

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Saganomics

@l3illyl3ob said:

As a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series ever since Daggerfall, I'm not really a fan in "that way". You know the way, the one that makes you a gibbering fanboy who hates change or any installment of the series that's in a different genre. I'll reserve judgement on this game until I actually see it with my own eyes. It might become a really good MMO, who knows? Who cares if it isn't "true" to the "elder scrolls way"? They've done big departures to the formula before, like in Redguard and Battlespire.

Redguard owned and adventure games are (sort of) back, I like to think that deep in his heart Todd Howard knows what needs to be done.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#232  Edited By Dimsey

I could get behind a multiplayer Elder Scrolls, but a massively multiplayer Elder Scrolls I'm less enthused about.  
    Still it's far too early to judge either way. 

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#233  Edited By Johnny5

They finally broke huh? :/

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By l3illyl3ob

@Saganomics: Yes, Redguard was one of my favorite adventure games. It will be the example I use to illustrate why Elder Scrolls Online doesn't need to be the same genre or anything like other main-line Elder Scrolls games. Bethesda in the past have explored the Elder Scrolls universe in a multitude of genres and I hope they continue doing so in the future. An MMO isn't a bad thing and it doesn't have to resemble an Elder Scrolls game.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#235  Edited By zaccheus

MMOs are just not my thing. I hope Bethesda Softworks is working on Fallout 4.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#236  Edited By Deusoma
    @Dimsey said:
    I could get behind a multiplayer Elder Scrolls, but a massively multiplayer Elder Scrolls I'm less enthused about.  Still it's far too early to judge either way. 
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I'll wait to get a better feel for this game before I make a judgement one way or the other.
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By MarkWahlberg

That image just makes me want a Neverending Story game. Humph...

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#238  Edited By RVonE

@SpiralEye said:

@RVonE: Lol Nice! Batchild found in Skyrim..

:D

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#239  Edited By Hector

Oh yeah Mac support!!!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#240  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@Deusoma said:

@Dimsey said:
    I could get behind a multiplayer Elder Scrolls, but a massively multiplayer Elder Scrolls I'm less enthused about. Still it's far too early to judge either way.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I'll wait to get a better feel for this game before I make a judgement one way or the other.

Yeah, small scale co-op in the main line Elder Scrolls games would probably be amazing, a (probably WOW style?) MMO set in the world less so, unless they manage to bring the first person gameplay over fully, something like a modern day Meridian 59.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Klei

Make a game like Skyrim with co-op features, and i'm in. Make an Elder Scrolls like WoW, and i'm fucking out.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By YOUNGLINK

WOW, i'm about 7 pages into the comments and all I can say is damn! I've haven't seen such universal disdain for anything in a while. Well, I agree. If its a cookie cutter WoW/ToR type MMO then count me out! As for the resource drain, well, theres always more that you don't know than what you do. Just remember that, internet.

WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By WrathOfBanja

I knew it... I always thought Skyrim's quests mostly seemed like watered down MMO shit. Now I understand why.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#244  Edited By Chemin

I have no interest in this what so ever. For obvious reasons. MMOs are a fad that I hope will pass soon.

DaveC524

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By DaveC524

HERO ENGINE

HERO ENGINE

HERO ENGINE

HERO ENGINE

HERO ENGINE

HERO ENGINE

HERO ENGINE

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By GoofyGoober

Good news for people who actually wanted an MMO set in the elders scroll universe, which is a fantasy universe, which is what most MMOs are set in anyway. IDK, maybe I would be excited if it was Fallout getting the official MMO treatment instead or something.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By sirdesmond

The possibilities of this concept are staggering and could really be amazing, but it would need to be a game that is not designed for every player out there. If it sacrifices the things that makes Elder Scrolls such a great franchise or puts in too many MMO standards than it will come and go rather quickly. Now, if they make a massive Elder Scrolls world with fully open-combat (PvP everywhere), lots of great player-run things like hideouts, villages, etc. than it could really be amazing. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Also, if I have skills on a bar at the bottom of my screen, I'm out.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b35aff00bcb
    deactivated-58b35aff00bcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be SO broken..

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By prestonhedges

Welp, bye, Bethesda. Nice knowing you.

Askherserenity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Askherserenity

Woah. People are such fucking downers here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.