An Introduction To The Blogosphere

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Giantbomb hosts hundreds of great writers. So many so that it can perhaps be a little intimidating to new users. The blogs on Giantbomb are packed full of great content and each has a nice twang of individuality. If you are new here, or perhaps simply haven't given blogging a chance before - Here are some Blogs you might find interesting, a quick guide to the Elite members of the Blogosphere:

Dalai || Blog

Dalai is currently the king of Blogging on giantbomb, not only because what he writes is entertaining but because he manages to produce something entertaining every day. It's worth noting he became the first Giantbomber to reach 100 blogs (followed closely by some jerk called "Sweep"). Dalai tends to write about all sorts of stuff, ranging from games he's been playing to weird video's he found lying around online. If you scan through his list of posts you are bound to find something you like.

Supermooseman || Blog

Mr Mooseman is both an avid writer and political mastermind. If he's not dreaming up an insane crime-busting duo, chances are he's playing some creepy game nobody else has ever heard of. Or, Wallace And Grommit. His blogs are packed full of quirky personality and are easily the most professional looking blogs on the whole site. SuperMooseman tends to build up a decent list of junk to talk about before unleashing it in a torrent of blogospheric awesomeness.

Dankempster || Blog

Dank's blog gets a lot of respect and recognition because of the sincerity and reflection that can often be found within each post. More than any other writer here Dank manages to contextualize his video gaming experience within his life, each post you read is like getting to know him a little better. Dank is also one of the more reflective amongst us, his writing spans game designs, concepts and philosophies. Add to this a rare fluidity of writing and an unbound enthusiasm and Dankempster is easily one of the best writers on Giantbomb.

TrueEnglishGent || Blog

If you are looking for User Written reviews, go find the blog of TrueEnglishGent - his catalog of posts now spans dozens of titles from the past year, each with an enlightening amount of depth. TrueEnglishGent manages to articulate the flaws and mechanics of a game in a way which is entertaining and easy to read. If you need a second opinion, Dr Gent is probably your best bet.

Hamz || Blog

Your one stop mod shop, Hamz is the guy you with his finger on the giantbomb fuse. His MEGA-BLOG very nearly destroyed the Internet the first time it was dropped, and apparently a second is in the works. Despite our impending doom, If you want to know what's going on around the site, Hamz is your guy. If you poke him he squeals like a piggy. Don't mention swine flu though...

Coonce || Blog || Podcast

Giantbomb runs on Booze and Pancakes, and users just like you. If you read the smallprint you'll see it also works on the Blood, Sweat and Tears (all mixed together) of the Whiskey Media troop. Coonce tends to update his blog with explanations as to what shit is going down and where. If you are interested in how the website works or how to "make it with the ladies" then Coonce's blog is the place to be. He also runs a podcast with Snide about designing websites. Huzzah!

Tylea002 || Blog

Completely insane, tends to blog about things which barely even exist. Home of "WTF?", this blog houses the bizzare and the surreal. If you are shopping for something a little bit different then the Blog of Tylea002 is probably a good place to start.

Lies || Blog

The blog of Lies is a burrow of topical content, his thoughts on video game news from around the world. However when there's no wind in the sails, Lies tends to default to blogging about Halo. If you think that sounds great, go check it out. If you don't like/care about Teh Haloz, go check it out anyway, Lies is a great writer. His commitment is currently unparalleled, the author of several staggering guides. If you want depth, Lies is there in a scuba suit.

daniel_beck_90 || Blog

Mr Beck triumphs in analytical discussion, dissecting the workings of the industry with a Pachter like instinct. He eats pie-charts for breakfast lunch and dinner. If you want to know what the fuck is going on now, went on yesterday, or is likely to happen in the future, Daniel_Beck_90 could probably give you the answers. He's the giantbomb oracle of statistics. I suspect him of possessing a time machine.

Sweep || Blog

I'm not going to write about how awesome I am, that would be lame. I'm just going to say, if you enjoyed reading this blog, there are plenty more you can find at my profile right here on Giantbomb.

If you can think of any others worth noting, please feel free to post below and I will check them out.

LASTLY || IMPORTANTLY

Please remember to comment the blogs you read! Comments are the best reminder to writers that people are actually reading their stuff, and it's an incentive for them to write more. If you read a blog and you think it deserves some recognition, leave a comment. Support good writers on Giantbomb!

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Giantbomb hosts hundreds of great writers. So many so that it can perhaps be a little intimidating to new users. The blogs on Giantbomb are packed full of great content and each has a nice twang of individuality. If you are new here, or perhaps simply haven't given blogging a chance before - Here are some Blogs you might find interesting, a quick guide to the Elite members of the Blogosphere:

Dalai || Blog

Dalai is currently the king of Blogging on giantbomb, not only because what he writes is entertaining but because he manages to produce something entertaining every day. It's worth noting he became the first Giantbomber to reach 100 blogs (followed closely by some jerk called "Sweep"). Dalai tends to write about all sorts of stuff, ranging from games he's been playing to weird video's he found lying around online. If you scan through his list of posts you are bound to find something you like.

Supermooseman || Blog

Mr Mooseman is both an avid writer and political mastermind. If he's not dreaming up an insane crime-busting duo, chances are he's playing some creepy game nobody else has ever heard of. Or, Wallace And Grommit. His blogs are packed full of quirky personality and are easily the most professional looking blogs on the whole site. SuperMooseman tends to build up a decent list of junk to talk about before unleashing it in a torrent of blogospheric awesomeness.

Dankempster || Blog

Dank's blog gets a lot of respect and recognition because of the sincerity and reflection that can often be found within each post. More than any other writer here Dank manages to contextualize his video gaming experience within his life, each post you read is like getting to know him a little better. Dank is also one of the more reflective amongst us, his writing spans game designs, concepts and philosophies. Add to this a rare fluidity of writing and an unbound enthusiasm and Dankempster is easily one of the best writers on Giantbomb.

TrueEnglishGent || Blog

If you are looking for User Written reviews, go find the blog of TrueEnglishGent - his catalog of posts now spans dozens of titles from the past year, each with an enlightening amount of depth. TrueEnglishGent manages to articulate the flaws and mechanics of a game in a way which is entertaining and easy to read. If you need a second opinion, Dr Gent is probably your best bet.

Hamz || Blog

Your one stop mod shop, Hamz is the guy you with his finger on the giantbomb fuse. His MEGA-BLOG very nearly destroyed the Internet the first time it was dropped, and apparently a second is in the works. Despite our impending doom, If you want to know what's going on around the site, Hamz is your guy. If you poke him he squeals like a piggy. Don't mention swine flu though...

Coonce || Blog || Podcast

Giantbomb runs on Booze and Pancakes, and users just like you. If you read the smallprint you'll see it also works on the Blood, Sweat and Tears (all mixed together) of the Whiskey Media troop. Coonce tends to update his blog with explanations as to what shit is going down and where. If you are interested in how the website works or how to "make it with the ladies" then Coonce's blog is the place to be. He also runs a podcast with Snide about designing websites. Huzzah!

Tylea002 || Blog

Completely insane, tends to blog about things which barely even exist. Home of "WTF?", this blog houses the bizzare and the surreal. If you are shopping for something a little bit different then the Blog of Tylea002 is probably a good place to start.

Lies || Blog

The blog of Lies is a burrow of topical content, his thoughts on video game news from around the world. However when there's no wind in the sails, Lies tends to default to blogging about Halo. If you think that sounds great, go check it out. If you don't like/care about Teh Haloz, go check it out anyway, Lies is a great writer. His commitment is currently unparalleled, the author of several staggering guides. If you want depth, Lies is there in a scuba suit.

daniel_beck_90 || Blog

Mr Beck triumphs in analytical discussion, dissecting the workings of the industry with a Pachter like instinct. He eats pie-charts for breakfast lunch and dinner. If you want to know what the fuck is going on now, went on yesterday, or is likely to happen in the future, Daniel_Beck_90 could probably give you the answers. He's the giantbomb oracle of statistics. I suspect him of possessing a time machine.

Sweep || Blog

I'm not going to write about how awesome I am, that would be lame. I'm just going to say, if you enjoyed reading this blog, there are plenty more you can find at my profile right here on Giantbomb.

If you can think of any others worth noting, please feel free to post below and I will check them out.

LASTLY || IMPORTANTLY

Please remember to comment the blogs you read! Comments are the best reminder to writers that people are actually reading their stuff, and it's an incentive for them to write more. If you read a blog and you think it deserves some recognition, leave a comment. Support good writers on Giantbomb!

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

I should write about how awesome you are, Sweep... wait, SuperMooseman already does that.

Giant Bomb does have quite a large blogging community with plenty of diversity and differences in style and personality.  You've got people like daniel_beck_90 who focuses on the business side of things, TureEnglishGent and SuperMooseman write almost exclusively about games they've been playing... and they make it look easy.  And then there's Hamz and Coonce are great sources for anything Giant Bomb.  There truly is something for everyone here.

Oh, and also a shout-out to BraindeadRacr, another member of the magic 100 blog club.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Hey, I've read a lot of those blogs, but I see one person I missed. I'm off to check it out.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Chummy8

Tell me one thing.

Why should I care what some random person on the internet has to say about whatever random event is going on in their lives?  Even if it is about video games?

Good list.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

*salutes*

My work here is far from finished. I still think there should be more promotion of blogs around the site. Decent writing is getting lost beneath mountains of Fanboy threads. I want a big list of "most recent" blogs please, one that isn't just limited to the people on my friends list!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
TekZero said:
Tell me one thing.Why should I care what some random person on the internet has to say about whatever random ... [more]
on that same train of thought, why should we care what you think about what we think?

The point of a blog is to build up a sense of familiarity with the writer, that's why blogs that arent updated frequently tend to fail. A good blog should be full of personality, and if you like what you are reading and you approve of their opinions then you might agree on their other blogs as well. You come to Giantbomb to hear about Jeff and Ryan's (etc) opinions - In what sense are theirs more valid than any blogger, considering they are only internet-famous for writing on the internet. Owning a website doesn't make you an authority on fuck all, you have to earn the respect of your readers.

Believe it or not, most blogs on Giantbomb tend to be video game related, not just "The girl at school doesnt know I exist, i'm so lonely". You might find information that you find interesting, so you should give it a chance.
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Tylea002

WHAT?! Can I do a thank you speech? I'd like to thank my...

*regains composure*

I don't belong on that list, Mr Sweep, I barely update my blog lol. I suppose I should update it more really, if Sweep puts me on a decent list, then I feel I have some kind of standard to live up to.

I'd also like to point out that I am, in fact, completely insane.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chummy8
Sweep said:
TekZero said: Tell me one thing.Why should I care what some random person on the internet has to say about ... [more]

That was a valid and well written response.  You make a very good point.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Tylea002: Haha well I always enjoy reading your blogs. They just happen to stick in my memory which I guess is why you made it into the list. You can never have enough blogs...

@TekZero: Thanks bro, I do try ;)
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10  Edited By Oni

Ah, the days of yore, when I actually blogged and wrote many user reviews... where did they go??

Well, for one, couldn't find shit to write about when nothing was coming out for like 3 months straight. I might review Bionic Commando, when I finish it.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By nixium

Wow. That is pretty cool. Reading through a few of these now.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Oni: Once my exams are over (6th June) we are going to play through Resident Evil 5 on War Hero. I was going to do it with my brother but Splitscreen is a total bitch. Also, L4D madness.
NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NinjaSquirrel

Thanks, sweep! I'm readin some of these blogs now.
Who even came up with the word Blogosphere?

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Otacon

I should read/write more blogs, thanks for the heads up Sweep!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude
NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NinjaSquirrel
@Claude: Oh. It's like an actual word. Wow.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

Do any of the people listed there want to provide tips and hints to those trying to write blogs or whatever? Or am I entitled to immaturely insult them for no reason :P?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Video_Game_King:The Science Of Blogging - Coming soon!! You can insult me for no reason if you want. It's cool, I can take it.

*Takes up defensive position*
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
Sweep said:
@Video_Game_King: The Science Of Blogging - Coming soon!! You can insult me for no reason if you want. It's cool, ... [more]
I play....whatever Yu-Gi-Oh card switches the other player from defense to attack! (I know such a type exists.) Then I play Obelisk the Tormentor. I win, give me your lunch money.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By mracoon

This list deserves a high-five for goodness. So if I ever see you in real life remind me that I owe you a high-five.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

Geez, I need to write more blogs myself. Great list, though, and I have checked out a bunch of those in the past. I really can't wait for Hamz's Mega-Blog again. I hope it breaks the internet, at least temporarily, to show how powerful we really are. *evil laugh*

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
@Video_Game_King: You just activated my trap card, sucka!
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King
LordAndrew said:
@Video_Game_King: You just activated my trap card, sucka!
.............Which has activated my trap card! *evil laughter*
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Hamz

Oh god Sweep you've advertised the MegaBlogv2, now I'm going to have to pull the rabbit out the hat on that one :P

Thanks for the namedrop. Personally I think you sort of described how I usually blog. I'd like to think I get a nice mix of moderator / site information passed on while also keeping it personal so people get to know me as a person / user / video games enthusiast and not just me as a moderator.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Hamz: Dont be ridiculous Hamz, moderators aren't "people".

@Video_Game_King: Looks like the trickster has become The Tricksterer!!
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By natetodamax

Cheers for the list. I'll use these for inspiration for when I start making actual blogs rather than something that happens to come to mind.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King

Well, Sweep, that was obvious. We all know that moderators are but the offspring of a single Internet hive mind. They have no souls, no families, NOTHING!!!

That doesn't change the fact that I beat you at Yu-Gi-Oh :P.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28  Edited By dsplayer1010

Dalai fully deserves that title.

Rheinmetall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Rheinmetall

Thank you very much. Very important information for a newcomer like me. Giant Bomb's great power seems to be its users. It's an alternative kind of video-game site that I'm really starting to enjoy.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Rowr

lordofultima also worth a mention.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By Lies

Did someone mention HALO?

No? Okay then, I'll be on my way.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By End_Boss

Good blog, brother. I agree about the comments thing. There's probably nothing more gratifying as a blogger than knowing your stuff gets read regularly.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ThomasP

Nice blog. Definitely going to check all these peeps out. Some I already know.