Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#302  Edited By AV_Gamer

My list of 2009.

Best of 2009

AV_Gamer: Best of 2009

1. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Simply put, Arkham Asylum is the best Super Hero Game ever made so far. I've played plenty of other theme games, but BAA is the first epically done game based on a famous Comic Book Series.

2. Modern Warfare 2

Modern Warfare 2 takes everything that made the first game epic and pumped it with performance enhancing drugs. The Single Player alone makes the list, but the improved multi-player, plus a cool arcade mode called Spec-Ops really gives players their moneys worth.

3. Left 4 Dead 2

Left 4 Dead 2 really is the game Valve wanted to make in the first place. People should just look at the first game as a prototype. L4D 2 expands on everything that made the first game a hit. More Special Infected, new (but still cool) characters to play. Better settings and scenarios make it a great sequel. People questioned when this game came out a year after the first. I guess people forgot Valve prides themselves on making quality games.

4. Prototype

Prototype is just a plain fun arcade type of game. You're given an excuse go crazy in a well made active city. The story is decent enough to keep you interested. The graphics and sound quality are top notch. Unfortunately this game came out the same time Infamous did, starting a debate between the two.

5. Street Fighter IV

Street Fighter IV revived the fighting game scene. Just when it looked like people didn't care about fighting games anymore, Capcom reminded us, why Street Fighter 2 was such a groundbreaking game. When playing a competitive match, SF4's gameplay is easily the best in any fighting game ever made. While I still think the technical masterpiece known as Street Fighter III 3rd Strike is better in gameplay, SF4's is almost just as good, and it's more easily accessible.

6. Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 5 was a great closer to the series storyline as we know it. The gameplay was kind of outdated compared to other games that used the over-the-shoulder engine to great effect. However, it's the overall experience that makes RE5 a contender on my list.

7. NBA 2K10

Since most list don't have a sports title on it, I thought I might be one of the few to add one. Make no mistake NBA 2K10 deserves to be on this list. It's simply the best simulated Basketball available. This combined with the new features, like the "NBA Today" feature which has the game keep up with the actual basketball season happening right now. All the way down to updating the rosters depending on team and player progression. Not to mention this game has the most realistic player models in any video game sports title.

8. Torchlight

Sick and tired of waiting for Diablo III? Well the makers of Torchlight obviously were. So they made their own version of Diablo III and they did a damn good job. Torchlight should be in any gamers collection, even after Diablo III comes out.

9. Assassin's Creed II

The first game had great promise, but repetitive missions, crappy flag collecting, and a disappointing ending made fans doubt rather the sequel would be any good. Well, the developers heard the complains and made a sequel that tops the first game in every way. Better graphics, better story, better main protagonist, equal better game.

10. Dragon Age: Origins

I'm mostly not into the slow burn kind of RPG's but Dragon Age Origins is the rare exception to the rule. The game has a surprisingly epic story that changes depending on your choices. The gameplay interface is top-notch on the PC and makes the gameplay fun, instead of a chore. Bioware continues to make a case for being one of the top RPG makers in gaming today.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#303  Edited By schizogony

You guys complained about Gran Turismo and LittleBigPlanet not being proper PSP games yet you completely overlook Dissidia Final Fantasy, which epitomizes PSP gaming. The problem with GiantBomb rears its ugly head again: not enough editors playing enough games. I bet none of you even touched Dissidia.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#304  Edited By ez123
@schizogony: Well, there's a quick look of that so they probably just didn't like it.
idefygravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#305  Edited By idefygravity

Im going with modern warfare 2...not only about the single player...but i will likely go back to the multiplayer for a while 

Not looking down upon ODST or L4D 2  

=)

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#306  Edited By Clembo

I think the dominant figures in the casual genres (FPS, action) get president rather than specailist genres (strategy, sim), as such I don't think any GOTY truely takes into account all tastes and hence not all games released in that year.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#307  Edited By ch3burashka
@Clembo said:
" I think the dominant figures in the casual genres (FPS, action) get president rather than specailist genres (strategy, sim), as such I don't think any GOTY truely takes into account all tastes and hence not all games released in that year. "
That's why it's called an opinion.
wobblit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#308  Edited By wobblit

The games I enjoyed the most this year.

Best of 2009

enYallione: Best of 2009

1. Killing Floor

Many compare this to L4D, but they are as far apart as zombieshooters can go. This game really surprised me, I thought it would be generic, but i keep revisiting it. It doesn't hurt that they nearly got a TF2esque update cycle.

2. Torchlight

Surprisingly fun, and the many mods make it easy to customize the game to your liking.

3. Resident Evil 5

Good singleplayer game with the option for seamless coop. Fun enough to revisit some levels again.

4. Left 4 Dead 2

More L4d! Just hope they get proper support for custom maps in soon.

5. Time Gentlemen, Please!

An adventure game that actually is funny. Not "ah yeah, I see how that could be funny", but actually funny. This game made me pick all the wrong answers on purpose just so I could hear all the remarks made. And there seems to be custom remarks for using every item with everything else.

6. Trine

A fun and puzzly platformer. A shame there is no online co-op.

7. Madballs in... Babo: Invasion

Very fun shooter. The singleplayer is ok, but the multiplayer is really fun. Lots of diversity in the different classes and weapons.

8. Plants Vs. Zombies

A very fun and polished take on Tower Defense.

9. Machinarium

A superb adventure game with great art and sound direction.

10. Tales of Monkey Island

The whole season has been good. The puzzles and the story is in my opinion the best out of Telltale so far. Sam & Max Season 1 and 2 was funnier though, I think.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#309  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I've only been able to come up with 7. I need to straighten out the order now.

Sanaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#310  Edited By Sanaj

Sanaj: Best of 2009

1. Batman: Arkham Asylum

A mix of satisfying, yet accessible combo based combat with an interesting take on stealth. Mark Hamill is the Joker. The Riddler trophies / challenges are quite interesting and I usually hate collection heavy aspects of most games.

2. Dragon Age: Origins

The spacebar is your friend. Use it often. I'm truly enjoying playing as a mage.

3. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Relic makes awesome RTS games, this is no exception.

4. Torchlight

Fetch a Fair Price.

5. flower

The colours man...

6. Street Fighter IV

An awesome game, I just wish that I didn't suck at playing it.

7. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

It could stand to have less sliding block puzzles... Other than that...it's a great game.

8. Plants Vs. Zombies

I, Zombie and Zombie Bowling.

9. Trine

Still no Fireball.

10. Shatter

Best Music in a game for 2009.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#312  Edited By Red12b

Best of 2009

Red12b: Best of 2009 

By no means is this finished, I will Re-edit the list in the coming days.

1. DiRT 2

Although I played the first one, I never really enjoyed playing it, Ever, I got bored with it and returned it the next day, With Dirt 2, I was hooked, loved it, The menus were awesome, (Godamn pro street) the game looked fantastic, the controls were tight, The damage was wicked, the physics felt Real, I enjoyed every single part of my experience with the game, And for a Racing game to do that, without getting majorly frustrated, Is quite a feat in my opinion, Because even if you crash, or you don’t know your way around a course, That rewind feature makes you want to re-view it again, in all it’s Polygonal glory. Honourable Mention, Need for Speed_Shift, Why: Simple, The Head movement camera, I have to say I have never felt so immersed into the role of a Race driver than I have in this game, If only everything else was just as polished, The game was Janky, Loading took far too long, especially with a mandatory install of near 5 GB's, and although it was a neat idea, the RPG style Driver Profile was more of a neat distraction and took the focus off of what could have been, They should have stuck to making the experience as polished as possible, instead they focussed on a gimmick. Although in saying all of that, Barrelling down the Nürburgring will never feel the same again.

2. Assassin's Creed II

Assassins Creed was an incredible game, Beautiful well designed and realised world, Wonderfully crafted story that intertwines through history, Fluid Puppetry Gameplay that fit in with the story making you able to nimbly free-run, climb and delivering Bone and flesh cutting executions, Un-skipable Cut-scenes, Mundane Mission types, And extremely Divisive, Assassins Creed 1 to me was an instant Classic. Assassins Creed Two will have to come under the banner of most improved sequel, Everything the first game did right, this does better, Everything that needed refinement, Improved beyond what I though they would be able to, Ubisoft has pulled off something incredible, An experience that will make you think about the game for weeks, The story is Magnifique, Intertwining and rearranging History in really interesting and subtle ways to tell it’s own Millennia’s old interpretation of history, Gameplay is improved from the brilliant framework that AC1 provided, Characters that are colourful, believable and ,make you care for them, And for a History lover like me, This game makes me all kinds of wet.

3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

I'll fill this out later, Short comments One of the best single player experiences I have ever had.

4. Dragon Age: Origins

Fill this out later, Just wow,

5. inFAMOUS

I'll fill this out later Short summery For a new IP and a Superhero game as well, This game is simply outstanding

6. Killzone 2

Short summery Single player was ok, but this is the game that got me into multiplayer

7. Modern Warfare 2

Short summery One of the most hectic Single player experiences outside the first MW, I have never wanted to go after a Bad guy in the history of gaming, And I have never mashed the square button as hard as I did in the end game, I screamed YES!!! at the top of my lungs at 3 am, Multi was brilliant, Lots of fun

8. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Best Superhero Game Ever! With the reviews to prove it, The caped crusader has never been this strong.

9. Brütal Legend

Best imagined world and for a music lover like me, Immaculate, DOUBLE FINNNNEE!!!

10. Resident Evil 5

One of the best Co-Op iv'e had.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#314  Edited By JJOR64

I don't think this thread needs to have a sticky anymore.  Uncharted 2 won.