#1  Edited By flaminghobo
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

With the recent surge in trolls, I think that forums could do with an extra mod or two to help crack down on them.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Yes, but there has already been a very long thread about this. So this is not really necessary. Here.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By flaminghobo
@CL60 said:
" Yes, but there has already been a very long thread about this. So this is not really necessary. "
Really? I either didn't notice it or couldn't remember it, nothing turned up in the search. My bad.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By sjschmidt93

One or two more. 

Maybe.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie

Id make a great mod me thinks

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

That's locked now since I got really ugly. On topic, yes I think we need more, maybe one or two more.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

When the forum mods are online, they do a brilliant job of taking care of trolls. And even with more forum mods, there would still be times when there just aren't any mods online. It wouldn't really change anything.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60
@eroticfishcake said:
" That's locked now since I got really ugly. On topic, yes I think we need more, maybe one or two more. "
Yeah, it got ugly, but the discussion about it happened, this one will just turn out the same if it continued.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Pie said:
" Id make a great mod me thinks "
Especially since you already look like one, given your avatar.

My opinion: eh, not really. Don't the trolls usually "take care of themselves?" *wink wink*
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By RipTheVeins
@MattyFTM said:

" When the forum mods are online, they do a brilliant job of taking care of trolls. And even with more forum mods, there would still be times when there just aren't any mods online. It wouldn't really change anything. "

I think that having more mods from different area's of the world would help this a little due to time zones, but that's all I can really think of.  Even though the mods are pretty spread out as is.

EDIT: plus as long as we don't get trolls as bad as this kid, I think we'll be good for a while, since when the mods are online they do a great job of taking care of buisiness

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake
@MattyFTM: True. You mods do a great job and all but there was one stage when the mods went offline the trolls came out. It's best to ignore them but some people think it's just neccessary to respond negatively to one. I just thought an extra mod might be a little help but everything seems ok for now.

@CL60: As long as we don't bring gender into this I think we'll be fine. I'm sick of hearing of it.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

It needs less.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By LiquidSwords

More Mods = more trolls

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Andorski

It seems like the mods are aware of what happens on these boards.  IMO, the mods just need to be more strict with things like trolling.  Don't let it linger on, hoping that the thread just dies off.  Cut it quick and use the ban-hammer if it occurs frequently.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Karmum
@FlamingHobo said:

" @CL60 said:

" Yes, but there has already been a very long thread about this. So this is not really necessary. "
Really? I either didn't notice it or couldn't remember it, nothing turned up in the search. My bad. "
Probably because it was locked a few weeks or so ago. Honestly, I don't think we need more moderators. We have a good group, and the only time you don't see them on is when it's a bad time for everyone (i.e. extremely early in the morning), where everyone is either sleeping, or about to wake up. Adding more forum moderators isn't going to close that gap in the no-activity at night, because hardly anyone (excluding trolls) is on that late.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pie
@RipTheVeins: Please tell me that that was a joke
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By iam3green

maybe, i'm not to sure on that. mods have other things to do then to be on a website. i don't see to many trolls on the site maybe once or twice a week that's about it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By rjayb89
@RipTheVeins: That kid needs to die, seriously.
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thebeast

Most of the time there's one of us around keeping an eye out - if you think we've missed something, you can really help by PMing us (see the PM All links here) . 

As for more mods, we're always considering it and keeping an eye out - we do have plans that should help increase the amount of eyes on the forum at any one time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't need more people monitoring me posting pictures of me doing Cho Aniki cosplay
Or calling the Welsh the worst people in the world

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RipTheVeins
@Pie said:
" @RipTheVeins: Please tell me that that was a joke "
@rjayb89 said:
" @RipTheVeins: That kid needs to die, seriously. "
Trust me, that kid's a professional troll. He said that Street Fighter 4 has the worst graphics he's ever seen and that the controls are "stupid."  I shit you not.
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kashif1
@rjayb89 said:
" @RipTheVeins: That kid needs to die, seriously. "
agreed
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

More mods can only be a good thing, especially with the amount of shit that's flooding the forums in recent times. So yes, more mods would be good.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap
@Hitchenson said:
" More mods can only be a good thing, especially with the amount of shit that's flooding the forums in recent times. So yes, more mods would be good. "
As long as any new mods are chosen because of merit, I've seen to many places die because they just mod people with high post counts who are always around.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By turbomonkey138

I made a thread expressing my opinion and i got about 10 replies of people being idiots . Yes we need more MODs

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Hamz

As TheBeast mentioned above we're open to ideas and tips on where we can best address people's issues around the site. We're also well aware that a number of you are losing interest in the forum due to bad behaviour of a select few at certain times.

We're currently discussing how best to deal with these situations, one being the addition of new mods to the forum. We'll see how the discussion goes, obviously with most of us on at different hours these things take awhile :)

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By damnboyadvance

It would certainly do something for the site if there were more mods. Or we should set up a system where users can vote on locking a topic.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By flaminghobo
@damnboyadvance said:
" It would certainly do something for the site if there were more mods. Or we should set up a system where users can vote on locking a topic. "
The voting system sounds like a good idea, though it could lead to abuse.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By natetodamax

Absolutely. I think the current mods do a fantastic job, but there are multiple occasions where there just aren't enough online. I definitely think we need more.

And the obvious choice for a new mod would be me

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Diamond

I often flag comments that are pretty open trolling.  One platform's fanboys going into a thread and making broad trolling statements, nothing ever happens.

If lack of moderators is the problem I say we should get more.  There is way too much undue nastyness going on in the forums now.

I don't want this place to be super moderated to the point where people make a joke and get banned (GameFAQs).  God forbid any mod ever ban people for their preferences either (4chan or NeoGAF).  None of those forums ever got rid of fanboys or trolls either, in fact super moderation seems to make stuff worse.

What I'd like to see is mods taking a more active roll in shaping discussion, not handing out punishment.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By breadfan

Sometimes I think we do and sometimes I do not. 

If the flagging system stopped being so buggy things would be a lot easier to report.  But then again if you just message a mod they reply fairly quickly to help whatever the problem may be.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Oh, boy. Not THIS again.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By damnboyadvance
@FlamingHobo said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" It would certainly do something for the site if there were more mods. Or we should set up a system where users can vote on locking a topic. "
The voting system sounds like a good idea, though it could lead to abuse. "
So, maybe people with more posts and less points on the Karma System have a bigger vote?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By natetodamax
@damnboyadvance said:
That would be abused by those that want to continue trolling and flaming each other.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By damnboyadvance
@natetodamax: Could you please read my previous post?
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
So, maybe people with more posts and less points on the Karma System have a bigger vote? "
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By oldschool
@turbomonkey138 said:
" I made a thread expressing my opinion and i got about 10 replies of people being idiots . Yes we need more MODs "
I think it was more than 10  ^-^ 

There seems to be a concerted effort by quite a few members to derail a thread simply because they don't share or like a view.  They are having only a destructive effect on good discussion.  If I flagged everyone  of these, I would run out of flags. 

I think the the current mods need to be more proactive when it comes to people entering threads clearly with the intent to just derail it.  Maybe they do anyway, I wouldn't know.  They certainly would need a mod just to keep the dicks away from Wii threads  ^-^
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By natetodamax
@damnboyadvance said:
" @natetodamax: Could you please read my previous post?
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
So, maybe people with more posts and less points on the Karma System have a bigger vote? "
"
But what if the people flaming each other have more posts and less points on the Karma System?
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By grilledcheez

I think the current amount is sufficient.  

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Diamond

Voting is definitely a bad idea because it would allow people with multiple accounts or groups of similar fanboys to get away with anything. 

herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By herreno

I feel the users (non mods) do a good job of not feeding the trolls.. For the most part.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By damnboyadvance
@natetodamax: Then they get flagged? Then they have points on the karma system? Then they can't vote? I don't know, dude. It's just an idea. Leave the debating to the moderators who are dealing with the issues, please.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By natetodamax
@damnboyadvance said:
" @natetodamax: Then they get flagged? Then they have points on the karma system? Then they can't vote? I don't know, dude. It's just an idea. Leave the debating to the moderators who are dealing with the issues, please. "
I wasn't debating, I was questioning your proposed method.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

There are more people bitching about trolls than trolls themselves. Both are annoying. No we dont need more Mods. 

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By damnboyadvance
@natetodamax said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" @natetodamax: Then they get flagged? Then they have points on the karma system? Then they can't vote? I don't know, dude. It's just an idea. Leave the debating to the moderators who are dealing with the issues, please. "
I wasn't debating, I was questioning your proposed method. "
*sigh* Then let's leave the questioning to the moderators for when this idea is actually considered.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It wouldn't be a bad thing, so why not?  Also think they should be stricter, at times...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hamz

I think I can safely say that the proposal of a system allowing users to vote on locking a topic is not something either myself or my fellow moderators would agree with, endorse or support. The old community ratings tool was removed because it didn't work out the way we had hoped, in short the level of abuse the tool received made it pointless and negated its purpose. A tool similar to it would only result in the same outcome. Those sort of tools are rarely found on message boards for this very reason, that is why sites pick volunteers to moderate their forum.

So I'll politely ask that the discussion about it in this topic be dropped, I think I can safely say it would never happen :)

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By flaminghobo
@Hamz: What current ideas do you have proposed, Hamz?
Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because the way these forums work it's just a cluster fuck of stupid, pointless question threads that don't need moderation. And any semi intelligent discussion results in a lock due to the fact that any dumb shit can sign up and start posting.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By Metroid545

i think we have enough