Do you collect games?

Gnat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Gnat

Do you collect games? Or do you just buy them and forget about them. Anyways I am really weird because I will buy two of any game that I really like or know I will like. One to play and one to keep in perfect condition. This goes for consoles as well but I haven't bought 2 of any next gen console yet don't worry.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Wolverine

I used to collect games but as I get older I've learned it is an expensive hobby so I've started to slow down on the amount of games I buy. Also I don't see a reason to go back and buy old games when I would rather play new games. I don't sell any of my games though. I always keep them.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

No I don't collect games because they'd just take up space and I'd rather sell them while people still want to play them.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Ujio

I think I used to collect games, at least on a subconscious level. Lord knows I have a shyte load of PS2 games I bought and still haven't played yet. I've since cooled my heels with buying mainly 'cause I can't afford it anymore!

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jnal

I collect old nes and snes games but thats about it. The collections aren't much but I play them at least once a week, and still get enjoyment out of them.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

No... Love them and leave them. I do have some old games that were given to me, but it all came with an Atari 2600...  Put them away... somewhere. One thing I don't mean to collect is PC games, hard to sell, I do have a nice old slice of those. Playing Deus Ex right now... weird.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I used too...now i try to sell them.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolverine
Jnal said:
"I collect old nes and snes games but thats about it. The collections aren't much but I play them at least once a week, and still get enjoyment out of them."
Yeah I still get enjoyment out of those two types of games but I can't stand to play N64 games any more. I guess it is because the graphics are so crappy. At least everything looks clean cut in NES and SNES games. Also, I like the simplicity.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Black_Rose

Not really, I just buy the ones I want and don't go around spending tons of money for shitty obscure old games (not that all obscure old games are shitty).

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush

I collect the games that I want to play and rarely ever trade-in/sell games, but I won't go out of my way to collect something obscure if I don't have a desire to play the game. I also like to collect extremely shitty games so that I can always have a piece of that awful history. Games like Shaq-Fu, Fugitive Hunter, Jumper: Griffin's Story, Vampire Rain, etc...I find much amusement in owning games like that. - Game collection seriously lacking: My PS3 collection of 1 game! :P

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
Gnat said:
"Do you collect games? Or do you just buy them and forget about them."
Aren't those one and the same? It is for me. Just look at my collection. I can't possibly hope to play every one of those games. For further proof, check my list of games I haven't beaten yet.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By suneku

I only collect games I know I'll come back to down the road. I.E. FF, MGS, etc. I'm still open to collecting new franchises if they're good.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#13  Edited By dudacles

I buy games because I think I'll like them, and I only buy them to play. I don't like sell them though, unless their sequel is better in every way. So, I suppose I am a collector in a way, but I'd never get a game simply because it's valuable or anything.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NukeGoBoom

I never sell or throw out games becouse each took me a lot of time choosing and thus making a small collection.

Except for LBP.I sold that.Im sorry but shit sucked.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Yes, I still collect.

Though, I used to collect only rare and hard-to-find games. Instead, I now collect only games that I truly enjoy playing. This way, every game I own, I like.

I think it's more important to have good games around than rare ones.

I don't trade in my games either.

Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Retrogimp

I made the mistake of selling my old SNES and N64 games back when I was a kid. Kinda regret that now, emulating just isn't the same. At some point I may go out and find cheap versions of them in the shops, but for now I still got a load of current games to get through, even ones I've already bought!

brettreyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brettreyu

I collect.  Nothing better then hitting up a thrift store to find classic games for 5 bucks each.  Vay, Lunar Silver Star, and Popful Mail all complete for 5 bucks.

I rarely ebay if at all.  The thrill of the hunt is more rewarding then paying 60 bucks for a copy of a game on Ebay when there is 10000 of other ones to play.  I used to trade in games compulsively but haven't in 3 years.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By mathewballard

I don't buy multiple copies of games, but I do keep almost every game I buy, unless its just really horrible. And I have bought games in the past just because I knew they were valuable.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShiroMe

I am very proud of my game collection but I don't treat them like action figures or comics. Games will never go out of print. Because they are digital there will always be a copy of it 100 years from now.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By AgentJ

I collect the very best that each console i own has to offer, but i have only bought two copies of a few games, and they were for different consoles, i.e. Resident Evil 4 for wii and gamecube, and Madden 07 for wii and 360.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've sort of got into collecting games recently, although being a student I can't afford to do it on a large scale.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Dude

I just don't sell any games I buy anymore, does that count?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By RHCPfan24

I try to keep all the games I have, even if I did go on a massive purge of old PS2 games I won't play anymore, getting over $300 from Gamestop. I was actually surprised by the deal, haha. Still, I keep most of the games I have now. My 360 collection is over 50, and it is insane. My DS collection is also gargantuan. I find something gratifying about keeping these games.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By AgentJ
RHCPfan24 said:
"I try to keep all the games I have, even if I did go on a massive purge of old PS2 games I won't play anymore, getting over $300 from Gamestop. I was actually surprised by the deal, haha. Still, I keep most of the games I have now. My 360 collection is over 50, and it is insane. My DS collection is also gargantuan. I find something gratifying about keeping these games. "
How gargauntuan is your DS collection? Mine is 36, with room to grow in the near future (Avalon Code, Fire Emblem, Valkyrie Profile, Ys, Suikoden Teiarkreis, and more!)
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MKHavoc

No,  I'm not one of those people who looks for rare games and keeps them sealed, but I'd never sell any of my games.  I like having a collection to show off.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Shadow

I collect in the sense that I buy any I want to play, and then don't sell them back.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Optiow

I collect whenever I can.

MayorMcCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MayorMcCheese

I buy a lot of games but i sell most of them back when i am done with them.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By BiggerBomb

I don't get rid of them, if that's what you mean.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

I went on a bit of a collecting spree for a while, now I just buy things that I like and want instead of collecting tons of things for no good reason. I like having collections of series, I have most of the Tekken games, I went on eBay and bought Tekken 1 in it's original cardboard box release cause that's kinda cool. Nothing too serious though... atleast not yet >_>

I can appretiate a good game collection though, some of the collections I've seen online have blown my mind :O

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

No, I definitely don't "collect" games, I buy games to play them. The closest I've come to displaying any collector-like behavior was when I bought Halo Wars Limited Edition. However, that being said, I do like to keep the games I do have (and their boxes) in good condition and just because I buy a game to play it doesn't mean I play it for a little bit and then forget all about it, I go back to lots of my "old" games.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jnal
Wolverine said:
"Jnal said:
"I collect old nes and snes games but thats about it. The collections aren't much but I play them at least once a week, and still get enjoyment out of them."
Yeah I still get enjoyment out of those two types of games but I can't stand to play N64 games any more. I guess it is because the graphics are so crappy. At least everything looks clean cut in NES and SNES games. Also, I like the simplicity.
I agree with every bit of that statement. I love the NES and SNES, but I just can't get into the N64 games like I use too. I'll still play Golden Eye everynow and then, but thats about the only game I can play. Also the controller for the N64 in retrospect has to be my least favorite controller of all time.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Snail

I play them too.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karmum

I don't get rid of my games, aside from the 20-30 I got rid of on my PS2 when I was getting my Xbox 360. I kind of want them back. But I don't sell them back once I finish them, because I will normally go back to them for replay value and nostalgia.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Linkyshinks

I do, classic games and rare games, that sorta thing. I love retro fare.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By Arkthemaniac

No, not really. I do pick the games I buy based on whether or not I think they will be valuabe or rare in the future. That's one reason why I picked MadWorld over Overkill and Pikmin yesterday,

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By penguindust

I don't collect games, and despite some of the things I've said in defense of the used games market, I don't sell them either.  I have several young nephews and nieces who like gaming, but can't afford to buy many new titles.  So, when I am done I hand down the ones that are age appropriate to them and hold on to the others until they are older. 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Binman88

I collect them in so far as I don't throw them away and prefer a boxed copy over a digital download.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FireBurger

Well, between me and my brother, I have about 350 games at this point. Up until recently I didn't really make an effort to keep them organized so a good number of my older PC game discs are missing, but starting with the current generation of consoles I've begun to keep my discs and boxes organized and together. I just like to be able to go back 5-10 years later and be reminded of the games I played, and I just think it's kind of cool to have the actual physical disc, box, and manual.

I don't buy games to solely collect them, but I like to hold onto the ones I play.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By roushimsx

I like to collect and play. The collecting is just a side effect of having diverse tastes and always trying to sniff out good deals.

Mostly updated collection list.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41  Edited By RHCPfan24
AgentJ said:
"RHCPfan24 said:
"I try to keep all the games I have, even if I did go on a massive purge of old PS2 games I won't play anymore, getting over $300 from Gamestop. I was actually surprised by the deal, haha. Still, I keep most of the games I have now. My 360 collection is over 50, and it is insane. My DS collection is also gargantuan. I find something gratifying about keeping these games. "
How gargauntuan is your DS collection? Mine is 36, with room to grow in the near future (Avalon Code, Fire Emblem, Valkyrie Profile, Ys, Suikoden Teiarkreis, and more!)
"
It is over that number I believe. Still an impressive list on your end, it's just...I have spent a lot of money on that two-screened device over the years.
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By twenty0ne

I guess you could say I collect them. I never trade them in...

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By halberdierv2

I tend to collect retro games for the older systems and the handhelds, but recently, I havent had the time, money, or even the opportunity to do that.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I don't purchase games to not play, but I never sell or trade in any of my games. I rarely ever rent games either.