• 117 results
twinkletowez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By twinkletowez

Man, this is great for me. my 2006 Pro model is on its way out, and at this point i don't think sending it in to microsoft would be worth the $100. i might just jump on the Elite now, because my 20 gig harddrive isn't really cutting it for me anyways.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By copycatzen
@ChrisTilton said:
"The new price dropped elite doesn't come with any HD cables of any kind. I think this should be pointed out, and also the fact it is an extremely lame move by MS. "

in any case, Tha HD cables cost 10 bucks at monoprice.com
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By Kyle
@Brad said:

"  Man, remember when $299 was the price of a console at launch?  "

Yeah and remember when you could get a soda pop at the A&P for a nickel? >_>
swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By swat200

i actually picked up one of the new PS3 slims just cause it was 299 and decent for the exclusives. its nice to have both a 360 and PS3 now so i can enjoy everything decent on the market.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By nick69

I remember buying a 360 premium edition back when the console first came out...or I bought it a year after it's release, in 2006. Whatever, but that shit was 400 dollars! 

It's definitely a good time to buy a 360.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By williamhenry

When are they going to lower the price of the 120 gig HDD? You get can a 1 TB hard drive for the same price as the Xbox 120 gig drive. WTF?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ryanwho
@Kyle said:
" @Brad said:

Yeah and remember when you could get a soda pop at the A&P for a nickel? >_> "
I also remember paying like 70 dollars for cartridge games and god knows what that is with inflation.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Branthog

Awesome. Now they're not only as disposable as diapers, but almost as cheap.

... And on my fourth system -- just as shitty.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By JJOR64

If you don't own a 360, now is the time to get one.

Destroyeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By Destroyeron

My question is who is left that wants these consoles and hasn't bought one already?

Fubar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Fubar

Didnt I read somewhere that they dropped some some cables from the Elite package to make et cheaper? 

I think there is no longer a HDMI or a HDD cable included. So if you need those your gonna spend the $100 on that anyways. 

UPDATE: 

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/27/microsoft-dropping-hdmi-cable-gives-xbox-360-consumers-flexibi/      

Microsoft's VP of Interactive Entertainment Business in Europe, Chris Lewis, tells GI.biz that the removal of the HDMI cable from the Elite packaging was to enable more "flexibility to consumers who can then decide which type of cable they want for their specific gaming and TV screen set-up." Pardon us, but that's like saying Sub-Zero ripping out your spine gives your body more "flexibility." Of course, the drawback is that you're dead.

Adding insult to injury, the new Elite bundle isn't just shipping sans HDMI cable, it has no HD cables at all; meaning that consumers now have even more flexibility to purchase better cables. While any old HDMI cable will do (they're cheap too!), the Xbox 360 component cable is proprietary and priced at $40 (as is the VGA cable). Want optical audio with your HDMI? That adapter's proprietary, too -- and $50. In fairness, PS3s don't ship with HD cables either (they do have an optical audio port, though), and that's always been a joke -- a joke that Microsoft is now in on.     

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
@Fubar: 

they don't have the component cables bundled in just standard composite RCAs just like how the ps3 does. so now the big issue here is feature set since they're both the same price with the same size hard drive attatched. now all that stuff sony has been going on about for years about the ps3 being the better value has FINALLY come true. especially so when you look at the holiday lineup and see only one big exclusive game to either platform. those games being halo 3 ODST and uncharted 2. the rest is all multiplatform.

interesting things are gonna be happenin soon.
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By moelarrycurly

I'm happy with my PS3, thanks.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Radar

Are they dropping the price of the harddrives?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65  Edited By Arkthemaniac

HAHAHAHAHAHA, WHAT A MOTHERFUCKING COINCIDENCE, RIGHT? 

RIGHT!?!?!?!?!?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Still too expensive I can afford £50

sudbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By sudbuster

I'm definitely considering purchasing a PS3 in the near future.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By Kyle
@ryanwho said:
" @Kyle said:
" @Brad said:

Yeah and remember when you could get a soda pop at the A&P for a nickel? >_> "
I also remember paying like 70 dollars for cartridge games and god knows what that is with inflation. "
Yeah I remember reading somewhere that if you adjust for inflation, an NES cost more than a 360 at launch.
OzzerOzby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By OzzerOzby

These are great price points. If I didn't already own both of them I would have taken advantage of this.

j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By j_meyer_13

Not influencing me at all... mostly because I already have both.  =D

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#71  Edited By Cirdain

UK getting a price cut?

oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By oobs

well there was a news item on ign where a 250 gig hard drive is getting shipped with forza in germany
simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#73  Edited By simian

I was about to shell out the $150 for a 120GB HDD to replace my aging 20GB but, at this price point, I'll probably get an Elite (for the HDMI)

gidoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By gidoff

Betcha didn't see that coming...did you?

lhwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lhwll

well thats no surprise...

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Carlos1408

When I go to uni I'll probably buy an Xbox 360 Elite, as I have to leave my old 360 (20Gb) here in Spain lol... :(
Anarchist4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Anarchist4Eva
@OroYoke said:
" Here is my big question.  Windows 7 is due in October, what if it were to flop just like Vista?  Will Microsoft continue to do price drops on their xbox 360s? "
Well M$ is putting major stock in Windows 7 making up for the Vista. Who's to say if they are depending on 360 to carry the weight for other losses. One thing is for sure reguardless of any marketing speak. Sony dropped the price & brought out the slim. They have a better rep w/ hardware reliability. Yeah I know about the DRE lawsuit w/ PS3 so save it fanboys. But feature for feature they are pretty close. Just a little more in Sony's favor now. M$ said "Oh no! Drop the price now!" Guaranteed.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Kohe321

Awesome!

Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Demonstride

I already own a 360 but i want a ps3.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Vorbis

They failed to mention they are increasingthe Arcade in the UK, nice one Microsoft!

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#81  Edited By Computerplayer1

So now they want us to believe that the 120 gig HDD is worth half the price of their top of the line console? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By get2sammyb
@jakob187 said:
" Well, Brad, you bring up an interesting question:  which will reign supreme?  I think that the redesigning of the PS3, as well as what feels like a whole new launch for their product, is a great motivator for those who haven't gotten one.  The $299 price tag is proper and feels right, the product looks smoother, Sony proves time and time again that they are the forerunners for mixing together gaming and media capabilities, and obviously the price tag makes the conversion to Blu-ray a bit more sensical now.  HOWEVER, the PS3 doesn't support backward-compatibility...which is a MAJOR issue to me.  Part of the reason you dropped for a PS2 was to play your PS1 games still.  It was a HUGE selling point.  Meanwhile, I would want to play my PS2 games on my PS3.  This will be a drawback.  Nonetheless, the 360 features limited BC and no Blu-ray player.  However, they have Xbox Live, which is the real selling point.  Sony's online "infrastructure" (read: lack thereof) just can't hold up to Xbox Live, and it's what has made the 360 a forerunner over Sony's console.  People want to play online, and Microsoft knows how to do that well.  While it does cost to get Xbox Live Gold, it's a cheap asking price ($50 for 13 months), and all the features it offers is IMMENSE!  Plus, how many times have we honestly ever had Xbox Live just flat-out go dead?  We have one friend's list for everything, we have Netflix parties, we have Facebook and Twitter on the way, we have Gamerscore, we have integrated voice chat for all games...I mean, it's a great package.  Firmware 3.0 for the PS3 is really going to be the make-or-break for Sony at the moment.  They've brought the console down, and it feels like they are finally LAUNCHING the console with this 3.0 update.  However, is it too late in the game?  Well, Sony did say that they've got a box that could last them 10 years easily...and I'm starting to believe it.  All three consoles handle their own specific strengths incredibly well:  Sony and media, Microsoft and online, Wii and motion controls.  Therefore, with the newfound price points for two of the three consoles, as well as three years since the consoles hit the market...there's honestly no reason to not have all three at this point! "
Applaud all your points Jakob, something I don't do often, but yes. I agree. I don't think PSN is as far off XBOX Live as people like to make out but whatever, it's up to Sony to change that perception. 

Firmware 3.0 won't be the one to change it though, that's really not adding much.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By RHCPfan24

It is cool that the Elite is $299 now. it has always been a bit too expensive, especially when compared to the PS3. I predict that the PS3 will get a boost in sales while the 360 will remain steady with perhaps a slight boost. The PS3 is going to get a big uphill trend going now though; the Blu-Ray player and plethora of games coming out do it a lot of favors.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#84  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm liking these price drops, since I don't own either console yet.

PositivelyGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By PositivelyGreg

Isn't it... two consoles enter, and probably two leave?

If there's one thing I really haven't seen so far this cycle, it's EITHER console really bloody the other up much.  Or rather, none of the three.  Mostly there's just a whole bunch of stabbing-oneself-in-the-foot going on, with each side hoping they have enough foot bandages to stay up until the other collapses.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Linkyshinks

This will mean nothing in the UK with our recent price hike.

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jediautobot

I've been thinking of getting an Xbox 360 for awhile, picking up a Pro might be the way to go.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Kiemoe

I wonder if I could get away with returning my Pro and getting an elite now that they cost the same. Yeah, right.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#89  Edited By AndrewJD
@Linkyshinks said:
" This will mean nothing in the UK with our recent price hike. "
What he said :(
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Jolly_Lolly said:
" I remember when I payed $420 (tax included) for a 20GB X360 Pro....  FUUUUUUUUUUUUU- "

LOL.  I only paid $300 for mine 20G X360 Pro back at the end of 2006, 1 year after launch.

Softy is making sure that Sorny isn't getting any in-roads. This is good. This is good..
Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
"Well, Brad, you bring up an interesting question:  which will reign supreme?  I think that the redesigning of the PS3, as well as what feels like a whole new launch for their product, is a great motivator for those who haven't gotten one.  The $299 price tag is proper and feels right, the product looks smoother, Sony proves time and time again that they are the forerunners for mixing together gaming and media capabilities, and obviously the price tag makes the conversion to Blu-ray a bit more sensical now.  HOWEVER, the PS3 doesn't support backward-compatibility...which is a MAJOR issue to me.  Part of the reason you dropped for a PS2 was to play your PS1 games still.  It was a HUGE selling point.  Meanwhile, I would want to play my PS2 games on my PS3.  This will be a drawback.  Nonetheless, the 360 features limited BC and no Blu-ray player.  However, they have Xbox Live, which is the real selling point.  Sony's online "infrastructure" (read: lack thereof) just can't hold up to Xbox Live, and it's what has made the 360 a forerunner over Sony's console.  People want to play online, and Microsoft knows how to do that well.  While it does cost to get Xbox Live Gold, it's a cheap asking price ($50 for 13 months), and all the features it offers is IMMENSE!  Plus, how many times have we honestly ever had Xbox Live just flat-out go dead?  We have one friend's list for everything, we have Netflix parties, we have Facebook and Twitter on the way, we have Gamerscore, we have integrated voice chat for all games...I mean, it's a great package.  Firmware 3.0 for the PS3 is really going to be the make-or-break for Sony at the moment.  They've brought the console down, and it feels like they are finally LAUNCHING the console with this 3.0 update.  However, is it too late in the game?  Well, Sony did say that they've got a box that could last them 10 years easily...and I'm starting to believe it.  All three consoles handle their own specific strengths incredibly well:  Sony and media, Microsoft and online, Wii and motion controls.  Therefore, with the newfound price points for two of the three consoles, as well as three years since the consoles hit the market...there's honestly no reason to not have all three at this point! "

You forgot about how the 360 has good exclusives coming.
usedtype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By usedtype

Despite my feelings for the 360, I must say that at an equal $299 price point, the PS3 looks to be the better deal.  It's finally got some great exclusives with some more great looking games coming this holiday.  You also can't forget about Blu-ray support.  And, while it's STILL not up to the level of XBox Live, PSN is getting better all the time. 

Having said all that, I also think the 360 is a fine machine and a $299 elite is not bad at all.
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#93  Edited By Gmanall
@Delta_Ass said:
" Nope, I'm never buying a console until they have keyboard and mouse support and allow mods for games. "
PS3 and Unreal, stop being such a fanboy. Btw why did you feel the compulsion to click on this thread if you do not care?
MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By MAST

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but the new $299 Elite does NOT come with a wireless adapter bundled in. Which is a $100 dollar piece of equipment. So this is more of a "shady" pricedrop on Microsoft's part. Yes, the Elite is cheaper now, but only because they got rid of a piece of hardware that most people are going to need. That used to come bundled with the Elite, if i understand correctly.

PS3 has built in Wi-Fi already, and a Blu-Ray player. So if both are $299, the PS3 is the better deal, hands down.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By agentboolen

Well thats nice but I'm still waiting for a price drop on the over priced 120gb hard drive... You know for the loyal customers that didn't need a cheap price tag to buy a Xbox 360...  I guess we don't matter anymore!!!! 

Azerach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Azerach

meh... even with the new price point it still looks like a cheap toy :S
PC 4ever!!!! ... and ps3 on the side lol

Avatar image for burjeffton--defunct
burjeffton--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 3

Come spring I'm gonna be a 2 console guy. I said I'd never do it...but alas, exclusives and price drops leave me no choice.

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By kagekage

Now you can't go wrong with a PS3.

Heron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Heron

300 bucks for a blu ray player that runs Metal Gear 4 and Gran Turismo? oh yeah.

Avatar image for platypusplatoon
PlatypusPlatoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By PlatypusPlatoon
@MAST said:

" Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but the new $299 Elite does NOT come with a wireless adapter bundled in. Which is a $100 dollar piece of equipment. So this is more of a "shady" pricedrop on Microsoft's part. Yes, the Elite is cheaper now, but only because they got rid of a piece of hardware that most people are going to need. That used to come bundled with the Elite, if i understand correctly.  PS3 has built in Wi-Fi already, and a Blu-Ray player. So if both are $299, the PS3 is the better deal, hands down. "

The Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter has always been sold separately, and has never been bundled with any Xbox 360 SKU.

That doesn't make it any easier to stomach, of course.  Just pointing out that this isn't a new rip-off accessory, it's always been a rip-off accessory!