Would you let your kid play M Rated games?

• 73 results
whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata

I can see why people don't want to let their kids play Mature games. However, many people are torn on this topic  because some people say "yeah my kid is smart enough" and some say "FUCK NO I HAVE TO CENSOR MY LITTLE BOYS LIFE FOREVER!". I'm wondering Giant Bomb's take on this.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Bad parents blame their problems on games. That is what I get out of these arguments. Then the media hops on the bandwagon because it brings in ratings, takes up a news slot, and what not. Also, when I said bad parents I also refer to bad parenting.

Edit: Therefore yes I would let my kid play a rated M game. Although not right off the bat, you have to move them progressively up the scale of ratings.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By JonathanMoore

Eh...For Violence? Yeah sure, for Nudity...No no.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Megalon

I'm of the opinion that it would be a little hypocritical if I said "no, you can't play M rated games". Games don't make bad kids, parents make bad kids.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Megalon

Why is nudity worse than violence? I will never understand this...

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I would in moderation.  I mean, it would obviously depend on how mature the kid was, but certain games would be off limits, at least until they got to the age of about 13.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By HazBazz

Depends on the age of the kid. I wouldn't let an 8 year old play a game rated 18, but at the same time I wouldn't make the kid wait until they're 18 to play it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

It all depends on how the child is. One of my cousins takes a lot of things very literally and so I wouldn't let him but i've never had that problem, i've played 15 and 18 games since I was well below that age and it's never done me any harm, so it's one of those things you have to play by ear.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By kush

It depends on the child...on the game etc. It's always different from person to person, but I think parents who are gamers themselves will be fine with whatever decision they choose to make. I say this because most likely a gamer parent will have actually played the M-Rated game in question and would be able to properly judge whether it's ok for their child or not...

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By whackmypinata
Megalon said:
"Why is nudity worse than violence? I will never understand this..."
I'm guessing you're from Europe. In the US, violence is much more abundant than nudity in everyday advertising/television, etc. In Europe it's vice-versa.
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Let me get laid first. I tell you after :p

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karmum

At a certain age, I would have a talk with them about what is in the content of the video games, and should not be interpreted as reality. If they are mature enough, I would let them play them. My parents weren't extremely bothered when I was playing GTA: SA when I was like 11 years old.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

That would depend on the child. But generally, yes, of course. But I would not hesitate to limit his/her media consumption if I feel the need to.

Edit

Eh...For Violence? Yeah sure, for Nudity...No no.
*shakes head*
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Absurd

Depends how old he is I guess...

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By kush
Absurd said:
"Depends how old he is I guess..."
No daughters for you?
MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MisterSpiffy
Kush said:
"Absurd said:
No daughters for you?"
It might take a few tries, but he has methods.
uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By uberpwner93

I will let them if they know it's not real, and they can't do this in real life. And for their first couple of years, I will watch them play and examine their behavior.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would at a certain point, and only with certain games. Once they're 13-16 I wouldn't care as much. But it would probably be an easing process.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By lazyturtle
JonathanMoore said:
"Eh...For Violence? Yeah sure, for Nudity...No no."
What the hell? I'd way rather my kid saw some nudity  than violence! 
I'd say that it really depends on the game and the age of the kid. Is a 8 year old going to allow to play GTA? Hell no. Is my 12 year old? Sure.

I think the key here is to play the game yourself and decide if you want your child exposed to the offending material. Once you've seen what it is, you can make a judgement call and have a discussion as needed.
It also needs to be realized that the ratings system in the usa rates sex much WORSE than violence..that is true for movies and I assume video games follow a similar pattern. So according to the MPAA( movie ratings) it's ok for a kid to see someone get shot, but not to see someone get laid...crazy.
Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#20  Edited By Dimsey

I don't know. I mean. No one ever moderated what I watched or played. I mean. Ever.
The first movies I can recall watching were movies like Terminator 2 and some of Jean Claude Van Damme's stuff and movies with similar content that I guess isn't kid friendly.
But I watched them. And when I got into video games one of the first games I ever played was Mortal Kombat, again not kid friendly.
And I turned out okay! I mean, I think I did.

I mean I have my problems but I don't think sex and violence in the movies, games or TV is the cause of any of them.

It'd probably depend on the kids mother. I tend to be perhaps overly relaxed about this sorta thing.

momentarylogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By momentarylogic

I, unlike many parents (generally), would play the game to its end and determine the value and content of said game, before I let my kid play any game. Mature or otherwise.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru
HandsomeDead said:
"It all depends on how the child is. One of my cousins takes a lot of things very literally and so I wouldn't let him but i've never had that problem, i've played 15 and 18 games since I was well below that age and it's never done me any harm, so it's one of those things you have to play by ear."
Pretty much one of the best answers I've seen.

I don't plan on having any kids, but if I did, I would certainly let them play M rated games at a young age if I felt they could handle it.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demyx

It really depends on how mature your kids are.
I probably would wait until they were like at least 12 before giving them more freedom, but even then I would watch their reactions to the violence.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Dalai

If I had kids and they ended up being good and mature at 15 or 16, sure... if my kid is an asshole, no way.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By dj

It depends on the kid, if he/she is mature enough to handle the subject matter then there is no problem. Otherwise its a no go.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hazelnutman

As long as my kid's mature enough to know that you shouldn't be ripping people's heads off in real life, I'd be fine with it.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Black_Rose

Yeah. as long as i give my kid the right education it won't matter

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By TheGamerGeek
Vinchenzo said:
Therefore yes I would let my kid play a rated M game. Although not right off the bat, you have to move them progressively up the scale of ratings."
That's pretty much what I was about to say. I'd have no problem with my kid playing an M rated game but before he did I'd like him to actually get into some of the simpler games like Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter and stuff.
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By OGCartman

It depends on the maturity.
I beat GTA3 when i was 10. I was playing M games when i was a little kid and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

So the answer would be hell yes.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By TheGamerGeek
Cartman said:
"It depends on the maturity.
I beat GTA3 when i was 10. I was playing M games when i was a little kid and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

So the answer would be hell yes."
I beat GTA IV when I was 13 about a week after it came out. My parents don't really care as long as I don't curse in front of them and they trust me enough to not go out and blow off a strippers head.

And I can honestly say, I've never blew off a strippers head in real life.
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bjorno

Kids wont be playing games, too busy slaving over hot stoves and chopping firewood.
My kids wont be useless pussies.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Absurd
Kush said:
"Absurd said:
No daughters for you?"
I dont know, Having a daughter would probably suck....Basing this on the fact that my sister caused a lot of trouble at home
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By MasturbatingBear

It depends for me, I played M rated games since I was 4 with mortal kombat on my genesis. I don't get into any kind of trouble at school, nor have I ever been in trouble with the law and I still get good grades. I would have to see how my kid is though, I understood that it was just a game and all that crap, I really couldn't care less what it was, violence, swearing, i wouldn't worry to much about nudity cause its not in to many games.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Verdugo

Of course, there are some quality games that are M rated, so if I knew my kid to be mature enough to handle the thrill of it, then why not?

I'd have to be bat-fucking crazy to make them wait until they turn 18. Maturity isn't age-specific.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By atejas

It depends.
I mean, violence is alright. But some stuff like GTA, I wouldn't let gim try till he was, say, 12.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crunchUK

the first thing i would teach him is not to scream on XBL :P anyway i don't think it's really that big a deal. it's a GAME and kids know it

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i think a lot of it depends on the game, and i also think parents need to keep up with what their kids are playing.  Anyway I think alot of it depends on the games content.  Take Halo versus Gears of War, Gears is much more bloody and mature themed than halo which feels a lot lighter.  Granite they both have their share of cursing which is a problem in both games, and you need to watch out for people online.  It really boils down to personall feelings toward what your child can handle.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

It depends on the game honestly. I'm anti-censorship but there is a right time for everything.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pause422
Kush said:
"It depends on the child...on the game etc. It's always different from person to person, but I think parents who are gamers themselves will be fine with whatever decision they choose to make. I say this because most likely a gamer parent will have actually played the M-Rated game in question and would be able to properly judge whether it's ok for their child or not..."
Exactly, if its just in general, a parent who doesn't game really I can see it being totally different because they never really know what the specific M rated game is about, or most at all, but since I do I would be pretty aware at what games may be a bit too much, and others which aren't a big deal at all, however I hate kids in general so.....
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It would depend on the age and maturity of my kid, and the individual game, but generalizing, no I wouldn't. Kids are all very impressionable. I wouldn't want my kid being influenced by something like GTA. But as I said, it would depend on the age and maturity from him/her. A mature 14 year old might be alright, but at the same time an immature 17 year old might not. I'd take each case on an individual basis.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By MKHavoc

It depends on the child.  I hope to raise my kid to have common sense and maturity.  If I think they won't be negatively influenced by an M rated game then I'll let them play.  If I think they'll try out some of the stuff they see, then I wouldn't let them play.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By Snail

I think it's ok for people to play M rated games if they are 14 or older.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shasam
whackmypinata said:
"I can see why people don't want to let their kids play Mature games. However, many people are torn on this topic  because some people say "yeah my kid is smart enough" and some say "FUCK NO I HAVE TO CENSOR MY LITTLE BOYS LIFE FOREVER!". I'm wondering Giant Bomb's take on this."
It depends on the age of said child. I played games like GTA when I was around 12, and I don't feel as if it screwed me up. Now though, games look better and are more detailed, so I would probably not want any child of mine to play Gears of War until I felt they were mature enough. It's a tricky subject, but I personally feel that kind of media does not influence children and other issues in the world are more to blame.
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Megalon
whackmypinata said:
"Megalon said:
I'm guessing you're from Europe. In the US, violence is much more abundant than nudity in everyday advertising/television, etc. In Europe it's vice-versa."
Actually I'm from the US, I just really don't get it. Like, say my kid is going to imitate something they see in a game or movie. I would rather they imitate getting naked than killing or hurting somebody. We're ridiculously uptight about something that everybody experiences everyday, and it just seems damn silly.
drsalvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By drsalvador

I'm a bit young to have kids yet but if I did I'd base letting him/her playing it on their maturity and if I believed they could handle whatever was in the game

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BiggerBomb

Depends on the maturity and age of my kid. I won't let them play M rated games until they are 12, no its ands or buts. If the they aren't mature enough by 12, I still wouldn't. I would never be a strict parent, but I think that with M games becoming more explicit these days by the time I'm old enough to have children they will probably be too mature for someone below 12 years old.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BiggerBomb

*ifs

This broken edit function is starting to really piss me off.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By whackmypinata
Megalon said:
"whackmypinata said:
"Megalon said:
I'm guessing you're from Europe. In the US, violence is much more abundant than nudity in everyday advertising/television, etc. In Europe it's vice-versa."
Actually I'm from the US, I just really don't get it. Like, say my kid is going to imitate something they see in a game or movie. I would rather they imitate getting naked than killing or hurting somebody. We're ridiculously uptight about something that everybody experiences everyday, and it just seems damn silly."
Good point. Many people don't look at it that way.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HandsomeDead
whackmypinata said:
"Megalon said:
I must admit, I find that so odd. For a nation which is so religious, the amount of violence on TV compared to other things is astronomical. Just take the lastest episode of Heroes for example. So many killings and maimings and yet they censored 'son of a bitch'. Just seems to be one of those cultiral things which is inexplicable.