Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

If Valkyria Chronicles had PS3 Trophies would you buy it?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

This is something that has got to me if I should buy this game or not.  I really like the Trophy system and I wish that this game had trophies.  If the game did then this game would easily warrant a must buy for me.  What do you guys think?  Should this game have trophy support?  Would you buy it if it had trophies?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't care about trophies honestly, and this game looks pretty cool so I don't think it would be that much of an improvement. It is only $30 at Gamestop right now so I suggest everyone to give it a shot. I am going to get it myself.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

I feel like anyone who would only buy this game for trophies needs to be taken to a back alley and shot.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Drebin_893 said:
    "I feel like anyone who would only buy this game for trophies needs to be taken to a back alley and shot."
    That works too.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By suneku

I've been wanting to play this game for quite a while... was too busy last fall with a bunch of 360 games. I'm waiting for the price to drop below 30 but if trophies came out I'd probably get it a little earlier.

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By gam3r3OOO

while the game doesn't have trophies, it does have Medals that you earn instead for accomplishments in game. I would say they are like trophies but not implemented by Sony.

I'd rent it. The game is great but kind of lacks longevity and multiplayer. There is not enough to do after you finish the game. I managed to get an A rank on almost every mission even the hard ones after about 20-30 hrs of gameplay. After you finish the game the first time you can replay the game starting from the beginning with all your weapons and troops fully upgraded (as well as with a Tank (which makes the early missions much easier)).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The funny thing is, yes I probably would buy the game then, the game looks pretty awesome as it is and I`m planning on buying it sometime but the added trophies would be great.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WEGGLES

Trophies are stupid, since they aren't in every game they don't really mean anything.

A friend of mine has played many more PS3 games than me, and beaten most. Me? I've pleyed 5 (2 retail 3 PSN) and I have WAY more trophies.

Anyone who sees trophy inclusion as a factor in buying a game...... I really don't know what to say.

To skip this excellent game because it won't make your e-peen bigger... shame

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilTwin

If I had a PS3 I'd buy this game with or without trophies. :(

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By KingBroly
    EvilTwin said:
    "If I had a PS3 I'd buy this game with or without trophies. :("
    Not having the system is not preventing you from buying this awesome game.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilTwin
    KingBroly said:
    "EvilTwin said:
    Not having the system is not preventing you from buying this awesome game."
    That's true actually.  I bought MGS4 and just borrowed my friend's PS3 to play it.  Maybe I should just do the same with Valkyria Chronicles since Overworks could use the love.  I mean, they gave me Skies of Arcadia, so even if I end up hating Valkyria Chronicles (not possible) they probably deserve more of my money. 
    trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By trebert
    EvilTwin said:
    "KingBroly said:
    "EvilTwin said:
    That's true actually.  I bought MGS4 and just borrowed my friend's PS3 to play it.  Maybe I should just do the same with Valkyria Chronicles since Overworks could use the love.  I mean, they gave me Skies of Arcadia, so even if I end up hating Valkyria Chronicles (not possible) they probably deserve more of my money.  "
    ya i bought it recently not knowing much about and would defiantly say that its one of if not the freshest srpgs in a long while, and worth every penny. Though the only downside is that the game is (relatively) short i went through the story in a week or 20 something hours of playtime.

I think its a real shame if anyone really thought less of buying this game due to trophies not being present.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

I really want to buy Valkyria Chronicles, but another game always comes up. Trophies could definitely push me over the edge.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

There's no reason why it shouldn't have trophies. If it has a "Medal" system or whatever someone mentioned above, surely they could just code in a trophy to unlock when you get the medal? Anyway... whatever.

I played the demo, and while I TOTALLY understand why people love the game, it's not really my cup of tea. That's why I didn't buy it. Also, I've only seen it in a shop once.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OmegaPirate

In all honesty, i got valkyria chronicles on day of release and heard that trophies 'may or may not be implemented' due to not wanting to pull a fallout3 again

(getting 3 quarters of the way through the game,HEY WE HAVE TROPHIES< BETTER RESTART  - FUUUUUUUUUUUU)

I avoided playing it - finally ran out of games to play last week (except far cry 2 but FUCK THAT) and decided what the hell, im holding it off too long -put the valkyria disc in and havent looked back. Of course iw ould love to be earning trophies while i was playing this but in all honesty im just enjoying myself too much to care at the moment
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    KingBroly said:
    "EvilTwin said:
    I don't own a PS3, and yet I've considered buying this game several times just to go ahead and have it whenever I eventually get a PS3. I have a feeling this game might be difficult at some point in the future.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By the8bitNacho

Screw Trophies. 

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Dawglet

I already bought it... but I'm not gonna lie I probably would of bought it faster if it had trophies.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mercator

I bought it the day it came out and have put hours upon hours into it. But havnt finished it.

I dont care about trophies because none of my friends have PS3s therefore there is no ones trophies to look at...no one to show off my trophies to.

If it were on 360 I would play it probably twice as much because I have friends on my FL...thats what make Achievements work for me...I have friends to compare too.

I dont have that on the PS3

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By coffeesash

I've already finished the game, if it gets trophies patched in, I'd play through it again if there were trophies that make you play the game in a way that you hadn't thought of before.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By subject2change

Haven't played it yet, but bought it back in Nov. Honestly trophies are nothing to me, I don't go out of my way to get them and if I so happen to get em in a game it's like neat...nothing more. Don't see the whole comparing trophies to others...but meh whatever.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By eroticfishcake

Are they really that important? I don't own a PS3 or X360 so I wouldn't really know myself what they do. If the trophies have a large functional element in them then it might have a little influence over my decision to buy the game but either way I'll like to buy a good game regardless of wheter it has trophies or not.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By weltal

Wow, this is thread has made me extreamly sad. I mean, I am an achievement whore and even I can't help but feel terrible about the contents of this thread. Really? You're purchasing decision is based on trophies? These are the things that are going to make you want the game, not it's quality or it's gameplay or anything directly related to the game? So instead you choose to skip it because it lacks a pointless feature. Christ.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShiroMe

Trophies do enhance the game but if they are for impossible online stuff you can count me out.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By sloppyjoe

For me trophies have nothing to do with "showing off".  I don't care where I am relative to anyone, nor do I care who sees them.  They are just another way of getting a sense of accomplishment (a small or large part of the reason one enjoys games).  For example in RE5, I beat it on normal.  Without trophies I would have never played the game again.  But I went back to unlock more guns and play it on veteran.  I would have had very little incentive to actually finish the whole game on veteran if it weren't for the trophy.

So I actually get more replayability with trophies.  I also feel the sense of meta- "leveling up" like an RPG.  So when I look at my own trophies I think it's cool to have some more golds or a higher level.  So yea, they push me to want more trophies.

Sometimes it puts me over the edge in a game that I'm only marginally interested in.  Especially the cheap indie DLC games.

I would like trophies, but they are not needed to make me buy this game.  Already got it since it was like $25 recently.  And if I beat it already, then they release trophies... I will probably play it through again.  I'm gonna play GTA4 again for some trophies probably.

TatoBins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TatoBins

bought it when it first came out. This game is awesome.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I would buy this game if it had achievements. As in, if it was for the 360.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By DJ_Lae

I would like if the game had trophies, but their omission isn't enough to break the game for me - it's still an awesome game.

If you need trophies as personal motivation, they exist in game as medals to mark your accomplishments, and their requirements are decidedly trophy-like. If you need trophies as personal validation to others, then you're out of luck...and perhaps have larger issues than Valkyria Chronicles can solve on its own.

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Inuzagi

I always wanted to get the game but sadly...I'm broke. I don't really care for trophies being in the game or not (same thing for achievements on 360).

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30  Edited By the8bitNacho

This thread is sad.  Who cares about your nerd points?  Just play and have fun.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Gav47

I know its sad but I'd love if this got trophy support, that said it was only €25 new, which I'm pretty happy about

androdro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By androdro

trophies are the last thing you should consider while buying a game, a faint ping sound should not have an inpackt on your enjoyment.
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Damian

I bought it regardless. And the game also has it's own built in trophies. So I didn't miss Sony's trophies one bit while playing it.

Railer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Railer

For me it's a bit different since i already own the game. If a trophy patch came out i would certainly replay the game, but if i didn't own the game and a trophy patch came for the game it wouldn't be the deciding factor for sure.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mowgers

Fuck trophies. Play the damn game. It's great. You can tech/ level up to flamethrowers and have your watercoloured anime soldier kiddies immolate fake Nazis. Trophies will in no way improve or degrade that.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Akeldama
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " I feel like anyone who would only buy this game for trophies needs to be taken to a back alley and shot. "
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I wouldn't even buy it if it had trophies or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.