After numerous attacks on various students at his high school, Roberto teams up with his classmates, Shoma and Natsu, to begin investigating the incidents. The team eventually discovers that Justice High is behind the attacks and has been kidnapping students from other schools too. At some point during the final battle with Justice High, Roberto ends up with a serious arm injury that lands him in hospital. After leaving the hospital, he walks to school with his mother upset that his future as a goalkeeper may now be impossible. At the school gates, he is approached by the scout who offered him a place on a team. The scout offers him the chance to play as a forward which excites Roberto enough to shake his hand causing him pain leaving his mother and the scout laughing at him.
While in town, the Gorin students end saving a young girl called Momo from being attacked by "Batsu". Momo becomes smitten with Shoma which causes an argument between him and Natsu causing the group to split up with Roberto teaming up with Natsu and Nagare to investigate the other supposed Batsu attacks. Unknown to Shoma, Momo is using him to create further chaos around the schools and sends a brainwashed Daigo to attack the other Gorin High students. After Shoma comes to his senses the team reunites to defeat both the Dark Side Student Council and an insane Hyo Imawano. The ending shows Roberto finding amusement at the new love triangle between Shoma, Natsu and Momo.
"Genius (Goal) Keeper"
When not playing soccer, Roberto is usually fairly quiet and almost shy at times. His cool demeanor complements the hot-blooded tempers of his friends, Shoma and Natsu, as he usually ends up being the mediator of the two. Despite being a bit of a loner he is shown to be fiercely loyal to his friends and always ready to help those in need.
- He lives with his parents and two younger siblings, Nelson and Elton, who are both in the third grade.
- Academically he excels in both English and physical education but poorly in Japanese and Mathematics.
- He has an interest in guns and is apparently a talented quickdraw gunslinger although he has never fired real bullets.
- He is quarter-Brazillian but his nationality is Japanese.
- In the School Life Mode in Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2, we are introduced to his assistant soccer coach, Mari Nanase, a shy but helpful young woman.
- Along with the Pacific high students, his name is written in the Western format of the first name, followed by the last name.
- He is voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa.
- He shares a first name and nationality with Roberto Hongo from Captain Tsubasa.