• 57 results
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

You know, there are people who come and complain about reviews every so often to bitch about a bad score or review and you'll have som posters return the same generic replys "Reviews are just opinions."  To be honest, I don't think that an opinion makes a good review.  Your opinion is being formed around the things that are developed in the game.  However, there should be little interest on the opinion.  The point of reviews is to help make sound purchases for video games and to give developers money with metacritics aggerated scores.  With over 1400 games that have come in, people such as ourselves aren't going to hold that eye of judgement with a great deal of cordination. 

There is a reason why we would bust Daemon Hatfield's chops for calling the Wii stupid.  We are seeking non-biased opinions to help suggest games to look into.  If someone thought a platform was stupid, would it form biased opinions?

Also to take in comparison, who do you think formed a better review for the conduit, IGN or Giantbomb?

IGN

Giantbomb

Everything about the IGN review feels so opinionated and I find that really deterent.  And they are applying the entire "Its great for a Wii game" attitude which is really misleads consumers.  A game being positively reviewed should represent a game on good standards regardless of platform.  Also, why does Matt Cassamina have to say "You are Mr. Ford, a badass with a gun," a phrase that just seems to be insulting.  Why does there have to be this frat boy attitude when reviewing games.  Also, why the fuck do you need to cough while mentioning a poorly controlled game "red steel."  It just feels out of place.

Then you have Jeff's review which seems to cover what is important for the game.  It points out the faulty logic that reviewers have been saying "Its pretty good for the Wii."  The story is flat and dull.  Everything looks bland and boring.  The controller feels tight.  Everything that he mentioned seemed to be dead on what I felt was wrong and right about the conduit.   In fact The Conduit may not do many impressive things, it could be better done.

What are your thoughts on reviews?  You think they should be "just opinions?"
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Reviews shouldn't hold the stock that they do, but they will continue to hold the stock that they do until game prices aren't so goddamn high. 

The solution: make games cheaper, and no one will even care.
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By choffy21

Yes. There is no definitive answer on what is a good game and what is not. What may be a great control scheme to one may be awful to another. What may be a horrible story may be intriguing to another. I personally hated Fallout 3; it's one of my most hated games of the generation. If I had to review it, it'd be between a 3 and 4.5 (out of 10). But to many, it's one of the best games of the generation.

No two people are exactly alike, even their tastes.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

Everything that isn't fact is just an opinion. A review by definition is an opinion. It wouldn't be a review, then. You could get bullet list of what was good and bad, and it would still be opinion. Not everyone likes the same things. You will never find anything that everyone agrees on unless it is a fact (and even then, some one will still disagree).

So, the argument that "It's their opinion." is valid and will always be valid until opinions no longer exist. You can't review something without opinion.

Edit: To elaborate on my first sentence, everything I said here is just my opinion.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

They should be opinion, but at the same time I'm not going to listen to reviewers whose opinions are ridiculous. If someone is going around giving classics 0/10 and shovelware full scores, then they, at least in my book, dont count. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Reviews are just opinions.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By wealllikepie
@JJOR64 said:
"Reviews are just opinions."

Tell that to gamespot (see Kane and Lynch review and what happened to Jeff as a result)
dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By dietmango

I'm leaning to "it's their opinion." It's common for one editor to review a game and say that it's good, pointing out the strong and weak aspects of the game, while another editor from another site might have an opposite view of it, and both cannot avoid stating their own opinions about it. 

Why is that? It's because it's one person that's reviewing the game, not the opinion of a group or the entire staff. You can't really have everyone having the same viewpoint about a game. Majority of people would give a game like Prototype or Fallout 3 an 8.5 or a 9.0 because they loved it, but there will always be a handful of people who don't like these games, and give it a 5 or lower. Some would point out all the good points and never state the bad stuff, or vice versa, and even a mix of both.

Are reviews opinions? Yes they are. Entirely. You can't avoid that fact at all. If reviews weren't opinions, then they wouldn't be called reviews at all. Reviews about games at Giantbomb will either be different from other sites like IGN, Gamespot or Gamasutra, or have similar viewpoints.  It will always be that way. It kind of also depends on the person reviewing it as well.

Oh yeah, there will always be people who give a game a 10 and say it's "the greatest thing since sliced bread!" or give it a 0 and say it's "worse than my grandma's bean soup" or something. Those are not valid opinions at all. Opinions that are considered valid are the ones that say that an aspect of a game is good or bad, and state a reasonable explanation why.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alex_V

I don't think there's any doubt that reviews are 'opinions' - there is no way that they could be anything else.

So beware of 'objective' reviews - they are likely to be pushing an agenda by design (the agenda being 'I know best').

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PureRok
@asian_pride said:
"Opinions that are considered valid are the ones that say that an aspect of a game is good or bad, and state a reasonable explanation why. "
I disagree with this. I think all opinions are valid (unless they disagree with mine), whether it's explained or not. I personally can't explain why I like a game (or why I don't). I just play a game and either end up going "Hmm, I think this games pretty awesome." or I go "This game sucks nuts."

I won't be able to explain it, or give reasons as to why. This doesn't make my opinion invalid; You just don't know why I have that opinion.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Arkthemaniac said:
"Reviews shouldn't hold the stock that they do, but they will continue to hold the stock that they do until game prices aren't so goddamn high. 

The solution: make games cheaper, and no one will even care.
"

An impossible solution for sure. As i've already explained multiple times before, games have the same markups applied to them as dvd movies do (which commonly retail for less than 20) the reason they are so much more expensive is because of the extra costs associated, and because they need to make a lot more profit from the sales because games don't get a box office release. So in that respect, we are lucky games are as cheap as they are, and in this recession, they hit the bargain bin within 2 months. So no, cheapers games are neither possible, nor the solution to any concieved 'problem'

The problem is with the market itself, at least, the small portion that looks at reviews. Most of the people who are looking to reviews to decide whether or not to purchase a game (at least those involved enough in videogames to be posting these sorts of questions on videogame websites) shouldnt actually need more than a few gameplay videos and and to be alerted or major flaws before making a purchasing decision. I don't know about you, but I know what I like, and I can very often (although not always, granted) see if I would like a game without looking at reviews. I just read them to see what other people, usually people with an ounce of writing talant, thought of a game.

Reviews definately should be considered opinions, because that is what they are. It would be impossible to completely objectively review a videogame, obviously somebody who has an irrational hatred for a franchise or console may inject some of that into their reviews, but at that point the guy is no longer worth being paid to give his opinion, because he cant seperate his opinion on the product from his opinion on other related products. But there is no way around this, you have to draw a fine line and walk it, because trying to objectively review? How in gods name would you do that, things like style in graphics for example would be out the window, as in order to convey your thoughts on them, you have to form an opinion, you cant just go "Bump Mapping, check, volumetric lighting, check, 9/10.

Imo, attempting to review something that's sole purpose isn't to fulfill one particular function (such as a vacuum or set of speakers) in a completely objective fashion is the most ludicrous thing you could attempt, and as always people only have access to a so much money and will always feel the need to justify their purchasing decisions by flying into a rage when someone gives a particular game 8.8, as if it somehow offends their entire game purchasing history. Imo it's the people reading the reviews who need to wake the fuck up and smell what they're shovelling, not the guys writing them (with a few exceptions, the fact that reviews are opinions aside, some people are just bad at their job, but that happens)
dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By dietmango
@PureRok said:
"@asian_pride said:
"Opinions that are considered valid are the ones that say that an aspect of a game is good or bad, and state a reasonable explanation why. "
I disagree with this. I think all opinions are valid (unless they disagree with mine), whether it's explained or not. I personally can't explain why I like a game (or why I don't). I just play a game and either end up going "Hmm, I think this games pretty awesome." or I go "This game sucks nuts."I won't be able to explain it, or give reasons as to why. This doesn't make my opinion invalid; You just don't know why I have that opinion."

At a certain point, you're right. But I was referring to opinions that are stated in reviews, not opinions in general. When you say "this game's awesome," that's just your general opinion about a certain game. That's fine. If the same statement was put in a review and not really explained why, then it's an invalid opinion. But if that statement is said as only a general opinion about the game, then it's valid whether or not you explain it or not.

Perhaps I should have written that last statement better. I wasn't very clear what I was trying to say.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArchScabby

since they are opinions, then yes they should be considered as such.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
@asian_pride said:
"@PureRok said:
"@asian_pride said:
I disagree with this. I think all opinions are valid (unless they disagree with mine), whether it's explained or not. I personally can't explain why I like a game (or why I don't). I just play a game and either end up going "Hmm, I think this games pretty awesome." or I go "This game sucks nuts."I won't be able to explain it, or give reasons as to why. This doesn't make my opinion invalid; You just don't know why I have that opinion."
At a certain point, you're right. But I was referring to opinions that are stated in reviews, not opinions in general. When you say "this game's awesome," that's just your general opinion about a certain game. That's fine. If the same statement was put in a review and not really explained why, then it's an invalid opinion. But if that statement is said as only a general opinion about the game, then it's valid whether or not you explain it or not.Perhaps I should have written that last statement better. I wasn't very clear what I was trying to say. "

I think the heart is in the right place here, but not the mind.

If someone wants to give a blunt opinion without exploring in-depth reasons, that is just as valid as any other opinion, as an opinion. But as a piece of writing designed to be read and digested by others, would bear no validity at all.

The problem is that opinions can be neither valid nor invalid, as that is the very nature of an opinion, they can be with or without logic and require no evidence nor explanation. (It's the very definition of the word) Whereas a piece of proffesional writing can be measured for quality and validity, and if someone writed a shitty piece of work, they deserve to be called out on it if they are being paid for it, and quite often you will find the writers with such strong, blunt opinions also cannot write for beans (Check Luke Plunkett for a prime example, almost all of his posts are highly opinionated flamebait, and almost everything he says misinformed or badly written)

I think there has to be a clear divide between writing, and proffesional writing. The difference being that proffesionally, that persons opinion must be clearly explained, and a well written piece of writing. Non proffesionally, it can be as little as "I fucking hate Halo" and it is still a valid opinion because of how an opinion works.
DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DirrtyNinja
Reviews are the ass juice of the gaming world.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain
@DirrtyNinja said:
"Reviews are the ass juice of the gaming world. "

That's funny, I always though posts like this were.
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ChickenPants

Yep 100% opinion,sometimes a well educated and valuable one though.I don't pay attention to the scores of any form of media any more.
Just look up videos if you want to see if you like a game.

And also, find reviewers that have similar tastes to you if you're going to read a review. ie.I'm not going to pay attention to a Final Fantasy XIII review by Ryan but will gladly listen to Brad's.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By dethfish

I always thought reviews were opinions. I only read reviews by people who's opinion I respect, like Jeff.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolemnOaf

Reviews are always opinions.  Other than factual details about game modes, stuff that is actually in the game, control schemes, etc. everything is opinion.  What some consider great graphics, others don't like the style, some games people say have little substance or replay value others can spend 100's of hours on, problematic controls could be singled out when another user finds them intuitive and competant.  If you haven't realized that most reviews are based mostly on how much lip-service the devlopers and publishers of the game give that review outlet, well, there you go. 

But what I really want to say is; A great FPS is made by stellar graphics and twitch-precision controls.  What the hell would you want to play one on the Wii for?  Stop caring what others think and say.  Your opinion should be all that matters.  That's why game demos are so awesome... oh wait, you've got a Wii, nvrmnd.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By Suicrat
@Godwind: It's hard to say if there's a uniform way of looking at the process of video game criticism. Subjectivity plays a major role, and I'm surprised you have problems with the occasional use of slang and shorthand by a member of a big-media site like IGN or Gamespot (owned by Fox and CBS respectively), but not by a member of a smaller site like Giant Bomb (which as we all know is run by a much smaller company in Whiskey Media).

The qualifier 'just' is the source of controversy in your points. Reviews are opinions, but they're not just opinions, they can also be a form of entertainment in their own right (See Navaro's classic piece on Big Rigs as an example), and they can contain factual data, like how many players the game supports online, how many frames per second, how much it costs, et cetera.
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By EvilDingo
@Godwind said:
"Everything about the IGN review feels so opinionated and I find that really deterent.  And they are applying the entire "Its great for a Wii game" attitude which is really misleads consumers.  A game being positively reviewed should represent a game on good standards regardless of platform."
I don't think anybody can say how a review *should* be, because it's really more a question on the specific review-outlets philosophy - which viewers/readers should at least have some sense of.
  • Some review-sites strive to make reviews as objectively as possible, often leading to a higher or lower score than the reviewers would give if they weren't forced to consider what other people might think.
  • Some review-sites openly state that their reviews are the individual reviewers educated opinion, where it's up to the audience to decide if they agree with that particulary reviewer.
  • Also some review-site actually specifically claim that their reviews are system specific, and thus consider every system "in a vacume" not taking other systems similar games in regard.

I find it interesting that you find Jeff's review to be the most "objectivly" of the two, since I'm pretty sure Giantbomb has stated several times that their reviews are an indication of that particular reviewers opinion. That said, he is in the review pretty honest about how he reviewed the game by mentioning that he didn't compare the game only to what exists on the Wii.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Plenty of objective facts can be contained within a review, however the overall verdict is a subjective opinion.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EvilDingo
@MattyFTM said:
" Plenty of objective facts can be contained within a review, however the overall verdict is a subjective opinion. "
true
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's better to look what other sources say when they review a game and view the it from different perspectives. To judge a game soley on one or two reviews can be a little inaccurate, it's like trying to get the perspective on a major event in history based on one man's opinion. Even so, there's quite a lot of drawbacks on video game journalism, I remember reading about something like that a while ago. Essentially, the best way is to play the game yourself...of course that's MUCH easier said than done considering the price of videogames these days...I remember the good old days when PS1 games used to cost £25-40...

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#25  Edited By dudacles

Of course reviews are opinions. If reviews were simply a series of facts regarding any given game, there would be nothing to gain from reading them. I wrote a rather negative review on Prince of Persia, but should that mean that others wouldn't enjoy it? No, not at all.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Willy105

Reviews ARE opinions. However, they are opinions that actually played the game.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ververdan0226

Yup.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By NoDeath

A review is simply the reviewers opinion. Any reviewer, however should pride themselves on being able to have an educated opinion and be able to articulate and argue their opinion well. A good reviewer will then be able to filter their opinion through the lens of the game's target market, which both reviews have done. The IGN one decided that the target market is the wii crowd whilst Jeff decided it was the 'hardcore' FPS crowd, both are just as valid. Jeff also took into account that GB isn't the biggest video game website out there and that anyone reading his review probably already owns a PS3, 360 and/or a decent PC as he states in the review.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FlipperDesert
@DirrtyNinja said:
" Reviews are the ass juice of the gaming world. "
Even though anuses typically don't secrete "juice", I'd like to thank you for writing this well-thought response and sharing that imagery with us. No really, thanks.

Reviews can contain a bunch of undebateable points, but yes, they're full of the reviewer's opinion. Take Jeff's problems with the controls in the Conduit, someone else might have had no problem whatsoever with the turning speed because they play a bunch of wii games anyway, but for someone that's used to a game like Call of Duty it's not so good. Someone else may also like the story, in which case they've also suffered a serious head injury in the past.

Edit: Also, this line in the review broke my brain, "I've no doubt that overzealous system-hating fanboys will assert that there is nothing particularly special about The Conduit, but I don't believe that."
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Claude

Of course they're opinions, but some opinions are shitty.

Avatar image for murderousdonkey
MurderousDonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MurderousDonkey

You talked about the aggregation of review scores such as Metacritic and i think in some respects that's a great idea. However it falls down when one publication has one system of marking (say 1 to 10) and another one has a different system (such as a percentage).

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King

Eh, I didn't like the first guy grammatically. Yes, I can complain about him beginning sentences with "and", along with using the word "though" improperly. For opinions, though, (see? I'm using it correctly. I'm using it as a transition into something different) I usually trust the GameFAQs scores. Granted, I don't look at their scores until I've beaten a game, but more often than not, they agree with mine.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Video_Game_King:

I didn't read the first review, but you can in fact start a sentence with And, although it's done so rarely it is considered bad practice but there are no grammatical rules against it. And 'though' can be used for a great deal many things other than leading onto another topic. Although it pisses me off when I see people writing 'though' instead of 'thought' it's like, the T on your keyboard is clearly working, use it.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By penguindust

Of course, reviews are just opinions.  They are as valid as the opinion of your friends who suggest a film to you which is why it's important for a consumer to develop a relationship with a few reviewers so that they can tell if their tastes are similar.  Why would you put your faith in a film critic who admits to not liking a specific genre when you are a fan of that format?  The same is true of video game reviews.  If you read enough reviews and take note of who is writing the article, you'll eventually come to see if that reviewer's opinion is something you consider before a purchase.  I tend to "get to know" video game reviewers by listening to them on podcasts as well.  I think it's easier to identify with the critic hearing their voice and understanding how their passions flow this way.  This is one of the problems I have with X-Play and Gametrailers reviews, because there is no acknowledgment of who wrote the review.  I can't just consider the overall editorial staff's opinion as valid because individuals might completely disagree but have no ability to change the final score. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By mikemcn

If the review is based around fact, like there is a ton of texture issues, the game freezes every ten minutes, you cannot find an online game, so you give the game half a star, then no, its not based around opinion, but almost always it is

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By EpicSteve

I agree with Jeff, but that doesn't make his review better. How can a review not be an opinion? That's a pretty stupid question. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Godwind:  It depends on what your site/magazine is. Big sites such as IGN are ideally suppose to stick to strait facts and give a buyers guide to games. Giant Bomb and other smaller press can be more personal if they choose.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By weltal

Uh, yes. They cannot be anything other than "just opinions". No matter how much you want pure facts to be the detail of the review you cannot factually define what is fun. That's an entirely subjective value that differs from person to person. Leaving this out means simply detailing the gameplay included and this is something anyone can get by looking at the back of a box.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By raidingkvatch

Yes, but their opinions by professionals trained to objective about things. You just have to find some reviewers you like and who's view is usually in line with your own, or else you will probably be subjected to a lot of crap

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews in and of themselves are obviously little more than someone's opinion. Given how you feel with regard to said individual, judge the review as is due. Taken as a group, a general consensus, they often help shape an idea of the quality of product. Sites such as Rottentomatoes and Gamerankings are good for this. Be wary of, for lack of a better term, critical wankery. 

So, basically, yeah: reviews are opinions.
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lowbrow

All reviews ever have been and ever will be, is the opinion of the reviewer. The question you need to ask yourself as a consumer, is if you trust their opinion, and how close do their view on video games, in terms of likes and dislikes, fit yours.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JJOR64
@wealllikepie: Well, that's a different story that I don't really want to talk about.
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lemon360

well if they were called "Opinions" i'm not sure Jeff Vinny Ryan and Brad would matter as much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't put them as "Just opinions" seeing as outside of a reviewer liking the game, they also review the technical aspects of a game (Bugginess, framerate, controls and what have you)

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By guerrilla_mason
@wealllikepie: Are we ever going to get to a day when a review is mentioned and this isn't brought up?

Reviews very much are just opinions. If they weren't, that'd be the final verdict, and games that don't reach a high enough score would be pulled from shelves.  As at least one person here already said, if it's not fact, it's opinion.  There are facts in the review, but most of it is describing what he or she liked or disliked about a game.  And sometimes, you may disagree with this...yeah, you got it, opinion. 
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#46  Edited By sjschmidt93
@wealllikepie said:
" @JJOR64 said:
"Reviews are just opinions."
Tell that to gamespot (see Kane and Lynch review and what happened to Jeff as a result) "
So Jeff hated the game and he said so, it was his opinion, how does that go against what he just said?

And I seem to disagree with Matt Cassmassina a lot. He overrated MadWorld and Wii Sports, imo.
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47  Edited By DrRandle

They can only be opinion otherwise a review would come down to whether or not the game has any crashing bugs, bacause that's the only thing that's completely non-subjective. (and even then a reviewer would have to play the hell out of some games to find those bugs, so even that's not really useful.) In the end, reviews have to and can only be opinions (outside whether the tech works). How else do you explain the range of scores? If reviews weren't opinions than every game would score the same, more or less, wouldn't they? But go to metacritic.com and look up ANY game and there is a breadth of scores. Why? Because it's based on opinion. Have you ever tried to review games? It's almost impossible to remove yourself from the review. You CAN'T. Why? Because YOU are the one who played the game and results may differ. Most people found Alone in the Dark to have "borken controls," but aside from the driving, I thought it controlled just fine.

There's no two ways about it, sir, but there are opinions either way. (and in my opinion Jeff's review of The conduit was not as accurate as Matt Cassamassina's. Then again, as a reviewer, I tend to agree with Cassamassina because he and I are simply on similar wavelengths. That's what you should do with reviewers: find one who seems to have similar tastes as you and stick with them. For example: I love Brad, but I tend to disagree with most of his reviews so I don't tend to go to him for a game.)
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48  Edited By damnboyadvance

Reviews are a little like opinions, but not completely.

And it's funny how much people will get angry when someone mocks the Wii.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes they're opinions, but the point is you have to take what you read in the review and decide if it's the kind of game you might enjoy.  It's not all just an opinion, if the graphics are bad or if the controls are outdated, those are facts.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By wealllikepie
@SJSchmidt93:
yea but see gamespot expected jeff to make an awesome review cuz the developers bribed them, but instead jeff made an honest review, thats why they kicked them out thats why im pointing out that reviews arent just opinions anymore for lots of people its a business