#1 Posted by MachoFantastico (4890 posts) -

So what books are you currently reading?

I have nearly finished The Northen Lights by Philip Pullman, it's part of 'His Dark Materials' series and I also have the two fellow books in the series to read. I believe it's called Golden Compass in the US. I know a film was made on it, but never seen it. It's been a good book so far, can feel quite childish in areas but also as a much darker side to it. 

After that I'll get around to reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell.

#2 Edited by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Half way through the Northern Lights at the moment. Not feeling the love for it like i did the first time i read it for school years ago....

#3 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

In search of Schrodinger's cat: Quantum physics and reality. It's really interesting so far.

#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Programming the Universe by Seth LLoyd and Religion Explained by Pascal Boyer. I'm not much of a fiction reader, history is my favorite, but I dabble in some science. I'm on the science kick right now. Religion Explained is a little bit of both.

#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -
Claude said:
"Programming the Universe by Seth LLoyd"
I hear that's a really interesting read. I'm planning on getting to it after I've finished Schrodingers cat.
#6 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I'm switching between a few depending on where I am/what state of mind I'm in - nothing fictional at the moment though:

• The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  • Long Way Down - Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman
  • C.O.D.E. - Charles Petzold
  • Don't Make Me Think! - Steve Krug
#7 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

I just finished I am legend {Way different then the movie thank god }

and now im read a book called : Elephants on acid and other strange experiments really interesting so far 
#8 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"Claude said:
"Programming the Universe by Seth LLoyd"
I hear that's a really interesting read. I'm planning on getting to it after I've finished Schrodingers cat."

It's pretty interesting, quantum theories are always that way. He goes into the fact that the universe is a huge computer with information constantly being given off by the particles that make it up, in essence he has created a quantum computer to help understand what and why. I like the history he gives of the human endeaver into this field. 

I've never heard of Schrodingers Cat, I'll have to look that up. 
#9 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Blargh, I read I Am Legend after I saw the movie, and almost had a fucking hissy fit. I love the last passage in that book, so much."
Mee to thats the way the movie should have ended none of the Hollywood happy ending BS 
#10 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I'm currently reading Cry, The Beloved Country.

#11 Posted by theshadow027 (150 posts) -

I'm reading Duma Key by Stephen King and Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. They are both pretty great reads.

#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -
The Plot Against America -- Philip Roth

The Book of Daniel -- E.L. Doctorow

"Great Short Works of Herman Melville"
#13 Posted by zitosilva (1841 posts) -

I'm reading Freedomland by Richard Price. And it isn't good at all.
Also I started the Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea, by Yukio Mishima, but it's too soon to pass any judgment.

#14 Posted by SinGulaR (2394 posts) -

Just finished "First and Last Men" by Olaf Stapleton for the 2nd time

Currently I'm reading "The Game" by Stephen King and "Last Men in London" by Olaf Stapleton

#15 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.

Before that I had finished reading The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke, well made story.

#16 Posted by adam_grif (1144 posts) -

Books you're currently reading.

none.

#17 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

The new Koontz book, Your Heart Belongs To Me. Powerful opening, but I'm only seventy pages in at the moment.

#18 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -

Breakfast of Champions- Kurt Vonnegut. Great book. All his books are amazing.

#19 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -
lamegame621 said:
"Breakfast of Champions- Kurt Vonnegut. Great book. All his books are amazing."
What a great fucking choice. 

<3 Vonnegut.
#20 Edited by DoctorTran (1575 posts) -

The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard

sarkeen said:

"Just finished Fight club by Chuck Palanhuik.(Name possibly wrong).

Currently reading Choke by same author. 

Great books."
Palahniuk. Close... but no cigar. I've read all of his novels and have a hard back first edition of Fight Club signed and personalized by the man himself. I also have a signed copy of Choke. Hell, I even got a package from him for sending him fan mail. I have much love and respect for the man.
#21 Posted by Win (541 posts) -
DoctorTran said:
"The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard

sarkeen said:
"Just finished Fight club by Chuck Palanhuik.(Name possibly wrong).

Currently reading Choke by same author. 

Great books."
Palahniuk. Close... but no cigar. I've read all of his novels and have a hard back first edition of Fight Club signed and personalized by the man himself. I also have a signed copy of Choke. Hell, I even got a package from him for sending him fan mail. I have much love and respect for the man."
Speaking on Palahniuk, I just finished reading Rant this past weekend, and really enjoyed it.

I'm on march break this week so I have a lot more time to read, so I also finished The curious incident of the dog in the night-time. And now I'm reading Nineteen Eighty-Four.
#22 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Ways of Seeing by John Berger

#23 Posted by Undeadpool (4998 posts) -

"The Last Wish"
I played the game (The Witcher), NOW I'm reading the book. It's fantastic.

#24 Posted by lilburtonboy7489 (1948 posts) -

Man, Economy, and State- Murray Rothbard

Give Me a Break- John Stossel

Fellowship of the Ring (Third Time)- Jr Tolkien

Crisis and Leviathan- Robert Higgs

Critique of Keynesianism- Various Authors (Edited by Henry Hazlitt)

Egalitarianism As a Revolt Against Nature- Murray Rothbard

#25 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I am currently reading 'The Latter Days at Colditz' by P.R,Reid. It is a good book.

#26 Posted by Kr3lian (310 posts) -

Books?  What are those?  I have been up to my ears in primary scientific literature for as long as I can remember at his point.  Ugh.

Anyway, I hope to reread Fellowship of the Ring on my next flight.

#27 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

I'm currently reading The Electrical Field by Kerri Sakamoto. It's for my Asian Canadian Experience class. It's about Japanese Canadians and different generations' responses to the internment of Japanese Canadians during The Greater East Asia War (also known as the Pacific Theatre of World War 2).

#28 Posted by zidane33 (83 posts) -

i'm reading the odyssey right now and i like it very much

#29 Edited by Maxszy (2067 posts) -
TrueEnglishGent said:
"So what books are you currently reading?I have nearly finished The Northen Lights by Philip Pullman, it's part of 'His Dark Materials' series and I also have the two fellow books in the series to read. I believe it's called Golden Compass in the US. I know a film was made on it, but never seen it. It's been a good book so far, can feel quite childish in areas but also as a much darker side to it. After that I'll get around to reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell."
That is an incredible series. Here in the States the three books are The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. They are are some really great books, and surprisingly I would suggest watching the movie after you have read the book. The movie I felt was very well done and portrayed the source material quite well. Very very unfortunate that the other two movies will never be made.

Anyway! This is about books! Another great passion of mine!

At the moment I am reading "Empire" by Orson Scott Card. Great author, this is the first book I have read from him that isn't part of the Ender franchise in one way or another. And I must say, I am very impressed. Very good book thus far.
#30 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

A book about Mongolic empires covered by comedy, racism and nihilism.

#31 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

Right now:

The Tin Drum - Gunter Grass

Tree of Smoke - Denis Johnson

The Lay of the Land - Richard Ford

#32 Posted by SinGulaR (2394 posts) -

Odd John - A Story of Jest and Earnest by Olaf Stapledon

When Sysadmins Rule the Earth by Cory Doctorow

Into the Shadows a collection of short stories in the Shadowun Universe by several authors

#33 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

The Gargoyle. It's cool because all the edges of the pages are black so it looks burnt.

The actual story is pretty haunting. It's very psychological.

#34 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -
Claude said:
"Programming the Universe by Seth LLoyd and Religion Explained by Pascal Boyer. I'm not much of a fiction reader, history is my favorite, but I dabble in some science. I'm on the science kick right now. Religion Explained is a little bit of both."
You might like some of Howard Bloom's stuff.
#35 Edited by cspiffo (869 posts) -

Finishing up "Brother Odd" by Dean Koontz (<70 pages to go).  Not as good as the first two Odd books but still quite good.

This thread has given me many ideas for my next book. :^)

#36 Posted by Grilledcheez (3958 posts) -

Himmler's Crusade (for fun which means it'll take me forever to read it) and Black Cross for school.

#37 Posted by RogueBomber12 (105 posts) -

I just started
American Gods - Neil Gaimen
Inferno - Dante Alighieri
And almost done with, The Road - Cormac McCarthy

#38 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I'm reading Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

#39 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

lol books

On topic: I did finish reading Little Brother by Cory Doctorow a few days ago. It's alright.

#40 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -

A ways in to The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

#41 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

The Hobbit.
For the second time this year.

#42 Posted by lilburtonboy7489 (1948 posts) -
BoG said:
"I'm reading Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment."
Nice
#43 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2419 posts) -
End_Boss said:
"The Hobbit....For the second time this year."
I finished that not too long ago! But the last time I read it was several years ago. Why are you reading it for your second time in the space of three months? =P

Right now I'm reading "America Alone" by Mark Steyn for myself and I'm reading "Watership Down" for school. They're both pretty good.
#44 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I liked it, but it wasnt as good as i thougt itd be from what everyone was saying about it.

#45 Posted by OneEyedNinja7 (797 posts) -

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Don Quixote, but I sort of want it to be over.

#46 Posted by LackLuster (748 posts) -

I just finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk a few weeks ago and now I'm reading Do androids dream of electric sheep by Phillip K Dick

#47 Posted by JacobBrodersen (322 posts) -

I just finished off Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, and planning on reading When You Are Engulfed In Flames next. After that i'm thinking of reading either Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy or Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson..

Also, when i'm bored i'll read a "chapter" off either America The Book by John Stewart, I am America and So Can You by Stephen Colbert, or World War Z by Max Brooks for the hell of it, even though i finished them a long time ago, they are fun to go back to :P

#48 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

I was reading Paradise Lost, but I seemed to have lost my copy.  I'll probably start reading The Brothers Karamazov and/or Utopia now.

#49 Posted by teh_destroyer (3574 posts) -

Nothing at the moment,I am pretty picky about my reading material which just makes it harder for me to find something to hold my interest.

#50 Posted by Canberra (1065 posts) -

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger I’m working my way through the classics.
Its great, especially now as I am the exact same age as the protagonist.