Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Poor pc coverage

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By oDawg

Post to encourage better PC coverage on Giant Bomb.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Meh.

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Jake_K

It's all about that xbox, baby.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

What do you want specifically?  More reviews?  More discussion?  Because I think they're covering it just fine proportionally.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CoverlessTech

The guys just don't seem to be into PC style games that much, and since they are all achievement whores any multi-plate stuff is going to be played on 360(unless it's GfWL, then they play both). Dave seems to be the only one really into PC style games but he's not really on the editorial staff.

Plus... there really isn't a whole lot of stuff to cover. Ryan is reviewing the Sims 3.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Fallen189

Put down the cheetos fat man and make the edits yourself

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

some genres only work on PCs. Genres that I like. PC!

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CoverlessTech

GiantBomb really needs an ignore feature so I don't have to read ignorant post like Fallen189.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallen189
    @CoverlessTech said:
    " GiantBomb really needs an ignore feature so I don't have to read ignorant post like Fallen189. "
    If only!
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Post to encourage the Giant Bomb guys to cover what games interest them, and nothing else.

Post to encourage oDawg to check out another website, were reviewers get paid to cover games they don't care about.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There isn't really a huge amount of PC stuff out there. They have covered most of the major PC releases that have happened since the site launch. Cryostasis, Zeno Clash, Demigod, Company of Hero's Tales of Valour, Empire Total War, Warhammer 40k DoW 2, WoW:WOTLK, Crysis Warhead, have all had reviews. Sure, there is a tonne more great indie stuff out there, and I'd love to see more coverage of it, but they are a small group of staff, they have to be selective, so they generally focus on the major releases.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oDawg

I'd like a gaming site to to bring some real questions to developers as to why they end up integrating GFWL. Or some balanced discussion about piracy. Generally just some more PC stuff to balance the obvious console slant this site has.

Frequently games are listed on here as being 360/PS3 only, when in fact there is a PC version too... Not that this is a big deal, but it shows how little awareness/fondness the editors have towards PC games.

I really appreciate when reviewers discuss the multi-platform differences, as unpopular as such discussions are among developers/publishers/advertisers.  ie: what's Prototype like on the PC? let me check it out on Giant bomb.. oh wait, they list it as 360/ps3.

It's as simple as making sure the next reviewer they might hire is a pc fanboy at heart? :)

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cloneslayer

there are games on the computer besides MMOs and RTSs?!?!?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond
    @oDawg said:
    " I'd like a gaming site to to bring some real questions to developers as to why they end up integrating GFWL.
    No game interviewers ask developers/publishers hard questions like that.  Personally I wish they would, not about that question specifically but I have a lot of my own questions.

@oDawg said:
    Or some balanced discussion about piracy.
    Piracy is wrong and illegal, why should they discuss it?  Maybe if there weren't so many pirates in the first place there'd be more PC games for GB staff to discuss in the first place.

@oDawg said:
    Generally just some more PC stuff to balance the obvious console slant this site has.
    The games industry as a whole has an obvious console slant these days, and Giant Bomb wants a decent cross section of coverage wanted by gamers.

@oDawg said:
    I really appreciate when reviewers discuss the multi-platform differences, as unpopular as such discussions are among developers/publishers/advertisers.  ie: what's Prototype like on the PC? let me check it out on Giant bomb.. oh wait, they list it as 360/ps3.
    To do that sort of thing right it really takes a lot of hard work, and who does it benefit?  That sort of thing is already covered by other sites, and if it's done well enough it doesn't need to be covered again.  Simple things like "Ghostbusters on PC has no MP" is really most of all you need to know, and that stuff gets passed around on forums anyways.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

Visit Giant Bomb and Rock, Paper, Shotgun and you're all set.

RPS is exclusively PC coverage, so there's not much overlap.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @oDawg said:
    "I really appreciate when reviewers discuss the multi-platform differences, as unpopular as such discussions are among developers/publishers/advertisers.  ie: what's Prototype like on the PC? let me check it out on Giant bomb.. oh wait, they list it as 360/ps3.It's as simple as making sure the next reviewer they might hire is a pc fanboy at heart? :) "
    They don't list prototype as being Ps3 and 360 only, It clearly lists PC as a platform on the prototype page, and has done since the first time I visited the Prototype page many months ago. On the review page it says "This review is for the PS3 and X360 release of Prototype." because those are the versions the review is about. They are a small site, with only a few editorial staff. It would take time and effort to review every version of the game, when they could be focusing on other site content. But since the site is a wiki, users can write objectively about the differences between versions on the wiki page (and many wiki pages do this), and if the wiki page does not have this information, you can add it to be helpful to other users.

@Diamond said:
    "
    @oDawg said:
    " I'd like a gaming site to to bring some real questions to developers as to why they end up integrating GFWL.
    No game interviewers ask developers/publishers hard questions like that.  Personally I wish they would, not about that question specifically but I have a lot of my own questions. "
    The problem is, if you ask a developer or publisher that sort of question, they will most likely respond with some boring PR writen response or even "No Comment" and then refuse to be interviewed by that site again. Before you know it, no-one will do an interview for you.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64

They really can't cover PC games unless the game is only on PC.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mikemcn

Dude they cover them fine

Sims 3, Starcraft, Dragon Age Origins, Crysis Warhead, Empire Total War... please dont make me list them all

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xelloss

They do fine, the main problem is there isn't much coverage cause their aren't crazy amounts of PC only games, and they reviewed Total War, Warhammer, and other games.  I am sure Brad is going to review Dragon Age Origins on PC, but probably play 360 to say what its like. 

Most PC games that come out these days come out both on 360 and PC so they are going to mainly focus on 360 since more people want to know about it. 

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xplodedd
    @Xelloss said:
    " They do fine, the main problem is there isn't much coverage cause their aren't crazy amounts of PC only games, and they reviewed Total War, Warhammer, and other games.  I am sure Brad is going to review Dragon Age Origins on PC, but probably play 360 to say what its like.  Most PC games that come out these days come out both on 360 and PC so they are going to mainly focus on 360 since more people want to know about it.  "
    for example, for the review of Prototype, they cfould have tested the PC version..

I hope that GB will have more PC coverage in the future.
    Avatar image for theineffablebob
    TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheIneffableBob

It would be nice if Giant Bomb doesn't always review the 360 version of multi-platform games.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Luke
    @TheIneffableBob:  They don't.  Jeff is on my PSN Friends List and he played Bionic Commando on the PS3 at the same time as the XBOX 360 version, for the review.  He also did this for Skate 2 and maybe others.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond
    @TheIneffableBob said:
    " It would be nice if Giant Bomb doesn't always review the 360 version of multi-platform games. "
    But that's the version the most people (and Giant Bomb website viewers) will buy...
    Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
    TheOGVandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheOGVandalvideo

What PC is there to cover. I mean honestly, do you think Laegue of Legends, Zeno Clash, and all these other indie games are going to push headlines? There are plenty of great PC titles to go around, there just aren't a lot of centralized demand for that kind of coverage.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Absurd
    @Jimbo said:
    " Visit Giant Bomb and Rock, Paper, Shotgun and you're all set.RPS is exclusively PC coverage, so there's not much overlap. "
    Interesting site.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Cloneslayer said:
    " there are games on the computer besides MMOs and RTSs?!?!? "
    RPGs play better on PCs than they do Consoles imo.
    Avatar image for theineffablebob
    TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheIneffableBob
    @TheOGVandalvideo said:
    " What PC is there to cover. I mean honestly, do you think Laegue of Legends, Zeno Clash, and all these other indie games are going to push headlines? There are plenty of great PC titles to go around, there just aren't a lot of centralized demand for that kind of coverage. "
    They won't push headlines if nobody covers them. Some of the most interesting games I've played recently were small, unknown games which I found through sites like Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGremp

Meh.

I really don't care about PC simply because my PC is shit...  Thus, I can't really play any of the newer games.  I must admit that many types of games are better on the PC, (namely FPS, RTS, MMO) but I like buying console games in confidence that I'll be getting a good framerate with nice graphics, rather than buy a PC game to find that I need to run it at 800x600 to get an FPS above 20.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Red

And while they're at it, they should have some more Dreamcast Coverage. IT ISN'T DEAD EITHER.

(I'm being sarcastic)
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#30  Edited By LordAndrew
    @xplodedd said:
    "for example, for the review of Prototype, they cfould have tested the PC version..I hope that GB will have more PC coverage in the future. "
    That's just another version of the game Brad would have to play, further pushing back the review while he makes sure the experience is the same.
    If you check the reviews archive, you'll see that they have reviewed the PC version in addition to the console versions in some cases. But it's not something they can continue doing consistently without affecting the amount of reviews that actually get published.
    skilzlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By skilzlost

i still wish they coverd more pc..

altho i enjoy watchign anything game related i would be more happier if there were more pc coverage.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By luce

theres probably a poor demand for PC coverage so why waste resources

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By scroll
    @Jimbo: Nice, just checked the site out and most of the staff are quite familiar.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#34  Edited By Lazyaza

Their aren't really any pc  titles worth covering now or in the near/distant future that aren't also coming to consoles, except maybe Blizzards stuff and a handful of mmos. 
    I mean hell Crysis 2 is going to be on ps3 and 360, that pretty much says it all.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Diamond said:
    "
    @oDawg said:
    No game interviewers ask developers/publishers hard questions like that.  Personally I wish they would, not about that question specifically but I have a lot of my own questions.

@oDawg said:
    Or some balanced discussion about piracy.
    Piracy is wrong and illegal, why should they discuss it?  Maybe if there weren't so many pirates in the first place there'd be more PC games for GB staff to discuss in the first place.

@oDawg said:
    Generally just some more PC stuff to balance the obvious console slant this site has.
    The games industry as a whole has an obvious console slant these days, and Giant Bomb wants a decent cross section of coverage wanted by gamers.

@oDawg said:
    To do that sort of thing right it really takes a lot of hard work, and who does it benefit?  That sort of thing is already covered by other sites, and if it's done well enough it doesn't need to be covered again.  Simple things like "Ghostbusters on PC has no MP" is really most of all you need to know, and that stuff gets passed around on forums anyways."

The reason they don't ask questions like that is because it isn't relevant.

If you want information like that you go to a site about the industry as a whole, not a site that reviews videogames. Try gamasutra, gamecareerguide or one of the various others. In fact, fucking Gamasutra have an article about piracy almost every bloody week.

Giantbomb has a very limited amount of staff, and I think they've covered PC pretty well despite that. Covering indy games is not something a small number of staff like this could pull off, again more articles for indy stuff are available on sites like gamasutra.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SuperMooseman said:
    " This. Really need more coverage of PC games. "

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Johnny5
    @TheIneffableBob said:
    "
    @TheOGVandalvideo said:
    " What PC is there to cover. I mean honestly, do you think Laegue of Legends, Zeno Clash, and all these other indie games are going to push headlines? There are plenty of great PC titles to go around, there just aren't a lot of centralized demand for that kind of coverage. "
    They won't push headlines if nobody covers them. Some of the most interesting games I've played recently were small, unknown games which I found through sites like Rock, Paper, Shotgun. "
    This point I find extremely interesting. It was a point brought up in Destructoids Podtoid episode 102. The discussion is about hyping games that dont need the hype and not covering games that should have it. I dont want to talk too much about it here since its on the podcast, but its like, do people really need to spend tonnes of time covering Call of Duty and ignoring the new and truly exciting stuff.

On the PC games point. True more PC gaming coverage would be GREAT, but i understand they arent huge PC gamers and any coverage they do I would take with a grain of salt. If they got a PC specific staff member to cover editorial content that would be great but its really a matter of feasability. I don't like it when non sports guys do sports (did you see IGN US review on soccer manager?), so I think it holds the same for PC pretty much the same.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By weltal
    j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By j0rdan

I dont think the PC get undercovered here, your obviously not looking hard enough, also you need to bare in mind that there arent as many big PC releases anymore compared to the console releases.

I have all platforms and think the equality here is pretty good, maybe if any the PSP doesnt get much love, but lets face it, the PSP is like that little annoying cousin you dont really like anyways.

Also read the front page,  the bit where it says

so, if you want more PC coverage, make it,   the more people involved the better the site will be and the more others will be encouraged to contribute.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Binman88

I'm a PC gamer and I don't own a 360 or PS3 but I'm happy enough with the coverage PC gaming gets here. One look through my installed game list shows very few PC only titles.

No Caption Provided

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Akeldama
    @TooWalrus said:
    " Post to encourage the Giant Bomb guys to cover what games interest them, and nothing else.Post to encourage oDawg to check out another website, were reviewers get paid to cover games they don't care about. "
    exactly. 
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By CenturionCajun
    It's a simple matter of statistics. While there is still a very rabid PC fan base out there in general video gaming has gone whole hog into consoles. The sales are there and the publisher's focus is there. While I'm sure digital distribution through providers such as Steam are selling quite a few games those numbers arn't really tracked very well. One of the most telling signs of the current state of the PC gaming market is the fact that Games for Windows Live was completely absent from any mention by anyone at E3 this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.