Community Moderators, a change for the better!

• 105 results
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By eroticfishcake
@CitizenKane:@Hamz:@TheBeast said:
"Yeah that's one of the problems we wanted to overcome, seeming like we weren't open to being talked to - we'll probably start pushing these PM All links down everyone's throats eventually. "
I think the reason why most people aren't that open to you mods is because you guys don't really hang around the forums that much bar the occasional comment and the last comment you post before you locked a thread. Not sure what the right word is but it's slighty...intimidating? Don't take it the wrong way or anything, you guys do a great job and all but it's a little hard to open up to you guys and converse with you when you're not involved in that many discussions in and around the forum. On the other hand, I know you're busy cleaning up wikis and locking down threads.

Of course, this is just a hypothesis. You do what you think is best and I'll fully respect that. Again, please don't be offended if you are by any chance. You did ask us to give you feedback so there's mine for today.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Hamz
@eroticfishcake: People get intimidated because they see us more often than not doing the job we're volunteering to perform. I understand completely what you're saying and don't fret no offence is taken here. It's a sad truth we mods aren't always popular or as well loved as general users tend to be by the community as a whole.

We just try to hopefully present a friendly approachable image, or so I'd like to think.
Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#53  Edited By Soap
@Hamz said:
" @eroticfishcake: People get intimidated because they see us more often than not doing the job we're volunteering to perform. I understand completely what you're saying and don't fret no offence is taken here. It's a sad truth we mods aren't always popular or as well loved as general users tend to be by the community as a whole.  We just try to hopefully present a friendly approachable image, or so I'd like to think. "
With a Shinra Electric Company avatar however, this will never happen :P
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By Red12b
@eroticfishcake: 

Ohhhh, You crossed the line there EFC, Look out whilst hamz puts you in a cage and MB burns your house down.... 

IMO I don’t see that at all, There might be a few people that are Intimidated But all of my dealings with these guys have been sweet as. 
They have a good sense of humour, Get back to you in a very timely manner, Are quite active other than wiki's like to debate without bringing out the big stick, and they don’t have that much of an ego that they cant accept advice or recommendations, 

So yeah, I mean, Apart from certain threads staying open far longer than they should have I have no problems with the Mods at all, Certain Users though... 

I mean I like to have a chuckle at one persons over the top just gibberish as well, But come on, he is still here. 

I wonder if he is a 2nd account of one of the staff, that’s why they cant ban him.....

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By dethfish

The mods have combined and formed into some kind of super group!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#56  Edited By Yummylee

Hurrah, time for virtual champagne!
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Red12b
@Dethfish77:
Quick think of a name.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By ajamafalous
@Red12b said:

So yeah, I mean, Apart from certain threads staying open far longer than they should have I have no problems with the Mods at all, Certain Users though... 

I mean I like to have a chuckle at one persons over the top just gibberish as well, But come on, he is still here."

Actually, he made a bet with himself and lost, won't be back for around a month.

During which time I'll be heartbroken.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By dethfish
@Red12b said:
" @Dethfish77: Quick think of a name. "
They will be called the Modeteers and with their powers combined they will summon Captain Mod!

I think it's obvious that MB is the modeteer of Heart but I'm not sure about the others.
Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#60  Edited By Alphazero

Where do we vote to abolish all forum moderation?

But then I've always been a fan of more rollicking chaos.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#61  Edited By natetodamax
@Alphazero said:
" Where do we vote to abolish all forum moderation?  But then I've always been a fan of more rollicking chaos. "
I cannot fathom such an appalling idea.
Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Alphazero
@natetodamax said:
" @Alphazero said:
" Where do we vote to abolish all forum moderation?  But then I've always been a fan of more rollicking chaos. "
I cannot fathom such an appalling idea. "
alt.oj.drive.faster

It's okay, I know it's a pipe dream. Moderation takes on the form of social pressure rather than the chilling effect of thread locking. It's definitely noisier, which doesn't suit everyone.

No biggie. Carry on my wayward son.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By LiquidPrince

Sounds good.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#64  Edited By citizenkane
@Dethfish77 said:

" @Red12b said:

" @Dethfish77: Quick think of a name. "
They will be called the Modeteers and with their powers combined they will summon Captain Mod!  I think it's obvious that MB is the modeteer of Heart but I'm not sure about the others. "

MB: Moderator of Heart
Hamz: Moderator of Speech
TheBeast: Moderator of Mind
Kush: Moderator of Faith
suneku: Moderator of the Pen

I am Moderator of the Sword

I'll think of the others soon.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Red12b
@CitizenKane:
Oh this is going to be aweshumsauce 

We have started something that is much bigger than ourselves here, 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Snail

That's a lot of mods.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By CL60

Not gonna lie, this sounds like a pretty good idea. Gotta keep the forums in check with the recent increase in trolls.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#68  Edited By LordAndrew
@Alphazero said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @Alphazero said:
I cannot fathom such an appalling idea. "
alt.oj.drive.faster "
Are you comparing Giant Bomb to Usenet? Fun fact: Some newsgroups are indeed moderated, meaning posts have to be approved before they'd even appear to anyone else. Although I'm sure newsgroups dedicated to important topics such as OJ driving faster were unmoderated.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#69  Edited By jakob187

The link to PM all the mods isn't working.  =  (  We have a troll in our midst at the moment...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#70  Edited By mike
@jakob187: Links are fixed now
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By Karl_Boss

I think Lord_Andrew will be the next new moderator.....he does a lot for the community.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Alphazero
@LordAndrew said:

Are you comparing Giant Bomb to Usenet? Fun fact: Some newsgroups are indeed moderated, meaning posts have to be approved before they'd even appear to anyone else. Although I'm sure newsgroups dedicated to important topics such as OJ driving faster were unmoderated. "

alt.oj-simpson.drive.faster was indeed unmoderated. All of the alt.* hierarchy was.

Except, of course, for alt.sports.gerstmann, which was moderated by the hammer Mjolner and the righteous fury of a thousand Chies' galactic punts.

With all due seriousness, because the Internet is serious business <squints eyes seriously>, unmoderated forums require a different toolset to view them such that the individual users can decide who they don't want to see post, rather than relying on a hard working group of higher-privileged users. It's absolutely messier, noisier, and has a host of problems, not the least of which is trolls (in the modern sense of the word), and the good-hearted folks who just can't seem to resist replying to them to inform them of their folly.

It's entirely possible that unmoderated forums aren't possible in the modern age, particularly those hosted by a for-profit business. The death of the alt.* hierarchy might point in that direction. That doesn't mean moderation is unilaterally better.

Nevertheless, I do think you'd be an excellent moderator, LordAndrew, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By Ubiquitous
@JokerClown88 said:
"

Praise Jesus.  When is more Mods is bad thing???. NEVER!!!   

I love you guys. 

EDIT: @Hamz:  Your Site Rules and FAQ link points to a youtube page.     "
Usually never. BUT a sudden and massive influx of Mods could potentially be a bad thing, as I've seen happen. (Usually just in certain servers in games. Often in Minecraft) But I'm sure that Giantbomb will not fall to such sillyness. 

Good move guys, I'm sure this change will help keep the site in order.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#74  Edited By Systech

Well, I came back to say "that's a good idea". This, however, will not change the reason I stopped posting on the forums. It's going to take more than mods to get rid of a bunch of idiots.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By dbz1995
@Red12b said:
" @CitizenKane: 

Damn, Now I have to take down the banners that I made, (they were quite spectacular, And included a man with a moustache and a monocle just for you.)
You could have told us earlier *Shakes imaginary Old man internet fist in your general direction* 

Well, Yeah, MB likes to remind people that. and also other things as well.

"
1000 posts, dude!
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mike
@systech said:
" Well, I came back to say "that's a good idea". This, however, will not change the reason I stopped posting on the forums. It's going to take more than mods to get rid of a bunch of idiots. "
You mean like...people who create alternate accounts to bump their own podcast threads?
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#77  Edited By Systech
@MB said:
" @systech said:
" Well, I came back to say "that's a good idea". This, however, will not change the reason I stopped posting on the forums. It's going to take more than mods to get rid of a bunch of idiots. "
You mean like...people who create alternate accounts to bump their own podcast threads? "
What the fuck do you want me to do? Write sentences on the chalkboard?
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#78  Edited By DanielJW

I saw what I thought was MattyFTM locking a thread not too long ago. I now know how this was possible.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Red12b
@dbz1995:
Cheers dude, 

Damn. I broked it!
Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By Arjuna

It amazes me how people will do work for nothing.  Kicking, blocking, locking, doesn't sound like fun to me.  Maybe it's a power thing.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Arjuna said:

" It amazes me how people will do work for nothing.  Kicking, blocking, locking, doesn't sound like fun to me.  Maybe it's a power thing. "

Think of it as charity in a way. It's not that much different from organisations that raise money to aid third world countries. They're just making it better for everyone (well, charity organisations are on a much bigger scale but it's the same on the core level).
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#82  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Arjuna said:
" It amazes me how people will do work for nothing.  Kicking, blocking, locking, doesn't sound like fun to me.  Maybe it's a power thing. "
We do it because we think Giant Bomb is an awesome website, and we want to see the community thrive & prosper.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By citizenkane

Thanks for the cover, Matty!  ;)

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Hamz
@MattyFTM: You don't do it for the money, women and booze?......to each their own I guess :D
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#85  Edited By Kazona

I'm kind of curious just how "active" one has to be on the forums. I don't have a particular high post count, but I do frequent the forums several times a day.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By turbomonkey138

talk about carrot and stick ....

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By RHCPfan24

I really like this idea! I am surprised I didn't see this until now; nonetheless, this explains why MattyFTM locked a thread the other day. ;)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By CL60
@Hamz said:
" @MattyFTM: You don't do it for the money, women and booze?......to each their own I guess :D "
That sounds amazing!
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mike
@Arjuna said:
Oh, and there's this.

No Caption Provided
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By dethfish
@MB said:
" @Arjuna said:
Oh, and there's this.

No Caption Provided
"
Damn, that's a lot. Apparently being a mod also leads to popularity, and we all know where that leads to.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By eroticfishcake

From what I've seen, being a mod sounds super fun! Money, women, booze and poularity! You kids will be famous! I can just see your names plastered across newspaper headlines, the internet, the movies! Men admire you, women adore you! Think of the fame and fortune that follows kid!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By CL60
@MB said:
" @Arjuna said:
Oh, and there's this.

No Caption Provided
"
That looks like fun.
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By teptom
@MB: Holy shit
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By citizenkane

Being on the list of people new users automatically start "following" after registering is a headache when you set the notification to PM.

Now, if you had it set to email, God help you.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#95  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Was a mod way back but dropped out. It's not all it's cracked up to be, so I appreciate all the work they do for Giant Bomb. Go mods! 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By citizenkane

I remember you being a Wiki mod, JR.  What crazy times those were.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Karmum
@MB: 
Probably a lot more during the website's original inception. The friend request craze alone was pretty high, but not that high.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By citizenkane
@Karmum: The friend request craze was all voluntary.  New accounts that are set up automatically start following certain users.  Fortunately, some of us were left off the automatic list.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Karmum
@CitizenKane said:
" @Karmum: The friend request craze was all voluntary.  New accounts that are set up automatically start following certain users.  Fortunately, some of us were left off the automatic list. "
I see. I wouldn't of had a problem accepting them whether they we're automatic or not, regardless. Hope I never reach up to 200 plus unread mail at once.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By citizenkane
@Karmum: I hope you never do either.  A terrible thing, it must be.