• 66 results
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

...Because Facebook didn't delete "threatening messages" found in an "I Hate Thompson" group (only numbering 215 members, though with these developments it's bound to rapidly increase, haha) he notified them about:

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Facebook Inc., the world’s most popular social-networking Web site, was accused in a lawsuit of letting site users post violent threats against a lawyer who was later disbarred.

Plaintiff Jack Thompson said the postings started after the CBS news show “60 Minutes” aired its interview with him in 2006 as a crusader against video game violence, according to the complaint he filed Sept. 29 in federal court in Miami. The games influence players to steal cars and shoot people, he says.

Thompson sued some of the game makers before the Florida Supreme Court disbarred him as an attorney in 2008, according to court records. Facebook users started an “I Hate Jack Thompson” group, according to the lawsuit. The complaint cites a posting that said “Jack Thompson should be smacked across the face with an Atari 2600.” Thompson included images of the Facebook postings in the lawsuit.

Thompson claims intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress and failure to supervise the site, and seeks at least $120 million in damages.

Thompson said there was no response to his faxed requests to Facebook Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg in August and September to remove the postings. He noted in his complaint that a poll asking if President Barack Obama should be assassinated was removed from Facebook as soon as the company found out about it. The company said it’s investigating that matter with the U.S. Secret Service.

‘Without Merit’
“The suit is without merit and we will fight it vigorously,” Facebook said in an e-mailed statement. “Additionally, it is our practice to remove content that threatens an individual when it is brought to our attention.”

Facebook, which has about 300 million users, is based in Palo Alto, California.

The U.S. Communications Decency Act provides immunity to companies such as Facebook for what another party might post, said Parry Aftab, an attorney and executive director of Wired Safety, a charity designed to protect individuals who might be stalked or harassed on the Internet.

“I think there is no liability because of what somebody does on their Web site,” Aftab said in a phone interview.

Thompson said he believes the federal immunity provision doesn’t apply in his situation because he told the company about the threatening posts.

“It’s negligence,” Thompson said in a phone interview. “They were put on notice and they did nothing.”

He said his disbarment is irrelevant to this case.

“If I were Charles Manson, that wouldn’t warrant the postings” remaining on Facebook, he said.

The case is Thompson v. Facebook, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida (Miami).

Source.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

He needs to stop. Nobody likes him, and nobody will ever like him. He should be smacked across the face with an Atari 2600. Oh no, I guess he's going to sue me for millions of dollars for emotionally damaging him.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

He'll fax a complaint to GiantBomb then sue them when your comment is not removed, take it back!

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

Um simple, the president is more important than Jack. And assassinate is way more threatening that throw a console at him.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Man, this guy sure is desperate to stay in the spotlight.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By EVO

Jack Thompson is to video games like airplane food is to stand up comedians.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

He actually has the arrogance to compare an president assassination threat, to some random person saying they want to hit him with a games console?  It's obviously meant in jest, I'd hardly consider that to be threatening.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

*ugh*  And things were going sooo good for sooo long without this cockcheese in the news...

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By lordofultima

Well they have it all wrong, an Atari 5200 would do much more collateral damage to his face and head region, they should go with that option.

SternCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SternCat

Jack Thompson really ought to stop Googling himself.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

well he wants to be a millionaire by seventy... so that the way to go! 

Go Jack go!!!!

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Loven Jack T.  Not as a person.  But damn,  That guy is the greatest troll ever.  The guys the damn king of it.  I can't hate a retard, have to feel sorry for them.  But still admire the way we pops up out of no where and completely Pwns so many gamers.  

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

He has a point, simple as that.

The poll and postings about Obama were removed, they said them selves threatening content is removed, yet it wasn't removed 120 million? no... Emotional Distress? no BUT he is right.
They were put on notice about such activities and they did nothing about it.

Its not about the importance, its not about the what is actively discussed in terms of threats BUT they were notified their Terms of use describe such acitivies as a breach of said terms of use.
and once you look beyond the crap of Jack Thompson hes actually a pretty nice and level headed guy and makes quite a few good points about gaming and its affects on children, I for one cheered his Ideal of holding retailers responsible for selling games to underage kids when games are clearly marked, most retailers clearly have age checks and in the states he was fighting for this it was illegal any ways.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14  Edited By the8bitNacho
@WilliamRLBaker: Who cares if he has a point.  He's doing this because he's a pure attention whore, not because these "threatening messages" actually bother him.  He's shown time and time again that he doesn't care what it is that people think of him, just so long as they do.
Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Southgrove

*joins the group*

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Kazona

If that one threat is why he's sueing Facebook then he might want to re-check things before he goes through with it. From what I can read it's someone posting their opinion, they are in no way making threats. Saying, "I'm going to smack Jack Thompson accross the face with an Atari 2600," would be a threat; "I want to smack Jack Thompson accross the face with an Atari 2600," could be deemed as a threat as well. However, "Jack Thompson should be smacked accross the face with an Atari 2600," is in no way an actual threat, it's an opinion, nothing more.
stealthman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stealthman

First time I hear about this guy and also the last I hope.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By jonnyboy

Well he hasn't got a job, and everyone has bills to pay. Or maybe he just misses lawsuits.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

Oh wait, we still care about this guy with no influence on anything anymore?  
Also, now I can't stress enough how funny it would have been if the Wii was called Perfect Nintendo Entertainment System 
"Jack Thompson should be smacked in the face with a PNES"

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@Kombat said:
" @WilliamRLBaker: Who cares if he has a point.  He's doing this because he's a pure attention whore, not because these "threatening messages" actually bother him.  He's shown time and time again that he doesn't care what it is that people think of him, just so long as they do. "
Still doesn't matter its still a righteous fight regardless of the reason the person is fighting it.  A site should uphold its rule if they don't because of their opinions then they should get shut down.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MeierTheRed

Honestly i had forgotten about this douchebag, what an attention whore. He must be really desperate now.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Sdoots

Can we all just agree to stop talking about him and hope he goes away?

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Red12b
@lordofultima said:
"Well they have it all wrong, an Atari 5200 would do much more collateral damage to his face and head region, they should go with that option. "

@jakob187 said:
"*ugh*  And things were going sooo good for sooo long without this cockcheese in the news... "
These 

Jack, JACK! fuck off while your ahead.  

He is a smegma cone. 

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By atejas

Didn't he have his license to practice law revoked?

mikyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mikyy

come on, the people shouldnt have picked on him and facebook did nothin about it...

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kohe321
@lordofultima said:
" Well they have it all wrong, an Atari 5200 would do much more collateral damage to his face and head region, they should go with that option. "
I laughed. XD
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Evilsbane

I am sorry I hardly think anything they were saying was actually threatening, I mean there is a difference between i want to smack this guy with a game system and hey lets go lynch the president. If we sued everytime we insulted or were insulted by someone off the internet we would all be broke and rich constantly.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crunchUK

$120 million for "emotional distress"??? If i were i judge i WOULd smack him in the face with an atari 2600... 

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aurelito

I'd smash him is genitals instead.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK
@Aurelito said:
" I'd smash him is genitals instead. "
I dont think he has any
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PureRok
@atejas said:
" Didn't he have his license to practice law revoked? "
He was disbarred in Florida. He can't practice law in Florida. Doesn't stop him from suing someone.
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RandomHero666
@mikyy:
Gamers picking on JT is bad? 

He has a personal vendetta against all games. Forget smacking him with an Atari, try smacking him several hundred times with an original xbox then rammin it up his arse, thats the least that fecker deserves
AquaGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By AquaGeneral

I honestly enjoy hearing about what Jack Thompson is up to, just to see what everone's reply is :D

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Metasin

please people, stop giving this man the attention he so obviously is craving

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They need to launch this guy off to the moon with no ride back.

tedbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tedbear

The guy does have a point though ... :(

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@tedbear said:
"The guy does have a point though ... :( "

I don't see how, the comment isn't threatening in the least, it's more of an opinion/statement than any kind of threat.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive

That man is retarded.  
Suing somebody for letting other people practice their free speech?!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#39  Edited By LordAndrew

Those aren't threats.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Law suits like this are just dumb in general.  Ever wonder why coffee cups now say "Warning this coffee may be really fucking hot!!! So don't spill it on yourself because that would be bad, but everyone knows this, except for dumb asses." I'm paraphrasing, but that is there because someone spilled hot coffee on their legs and sued because they were burnt without warning.  In this Jack Thompson situation, you get into sticky situations as to what is a threat and what isn't, I don't think it is, I think it merely means, "Hey Jack Thompson, go fuck yourself and end your crusade against video games, NO ONE CARES!!!"  Although I could be wrong and someone is literally threatening Jack Thompson saying, "I will hit you with an atari system, you can bet your ass on it!!!  Also, its on like Donkey Kong!!"  Anyway what I am trying to say is that this is a stupid case, Facebook rules it protected by the freedom of speech and Jack Thompson wants to be noticed, as a result he makes a ridiculous suit and wants the courts to decide.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#41  Edited By AgentJ
@atejas said:
" Didn't he have his license to practice law revoked? "
He doesn't need to pass the bar to hire another attourney when he sues. 
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#42  Edited By Icemael

If I could get my hands on this dude, I would Jack him good

Yeah, so I made a lame joke. Sue me.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@Icemael said:
" If I could get my hands on this dude, I would Jack him good.  Yeah, so I made a lame joke. Sue me. "
We won't, but there is nothing stopping him from doing it
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By eroticfishcake
@lordofultima said:
" Well they have it all wrong, an Atari 5200 would do much more collateral damage to his face and head region, they should go with that option. "
It's going to hurt harder knowing that it's a failure of a console. He doesn't deserve the good stuff!

Does he think they're out to get him?
Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lard
@Biohazardous said:
" Can we all just agree to stop talking about him and hope he goes away? "
This.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#46  Edited By citizenkane
@lordofultima said:

Well if you're going to take the gloves off, why not go with the Fairchild Channel F?
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Hamz

I dislike Facebook and I dislike Jack Thompson, it's a win win situation for me!

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By dethfish

$120 million for that? Can you sue for every threatening message directed at you on the internet? Wow, fanboys and trolls could be loaded right now.

I don't think that's very threatening anyways.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Metroid545
@Southgrove said:
" *joins the group* "
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vidiot
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" He has a point, simple as that.  The poll and postings about Obama were removed, they said them selves threatening content is removed, yet it wasn't removed 120 million? no... Emotional Distress? no BUT he is right."
Last time I checked, making death threats against the president is a little bit more serious. 
And by, a "little bit more serious", I mean the last news article concerning that poll mentioned federal authorities are investigating the matter.