• 188 results
#1 Edited by Artof_War (119 posts) -

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Will make 39 this year.

How about you?

EDIT: Just finished 40! Don't think I can make it to 50 next year, 1/week is a little much.

#2 Posted by gaminghooligan (1443 posts) -

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk and Hells Angels by Hunter S Thompson (I like to trade off)

I'm reading around thirty to forty a year now thanks to my Kindle.

#3 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I just finished John Dies at the End by David Wong. It was funny, but not what I expected at all. It reads more like a horror novel with funny bits. Overall, I liked it, and I'll probably pick up the followup, This Book Is Full of Spiders at some point.

I picked up Anathem by Neal Stephenson, but I haven't started it yet.

#4 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

just started reading Stephen Kings skeleton crew and halfway through the mist. great so far.

#5 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

I'm currently moving through Martin Heidegger's Die Frage nach der Technik and am also finishing up George Orwell's essay collection All Art is Propaganda.

#6 Posted by bibamatt (1088 posts) -

I'm listening to the audiobook of Dune during my commute to work. Hope that counts!

#7 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

Behind the Paint by Violent J of the Insane Clown Posse.

#8 Posted by amp_1986 (81 posts) -

A Storm of Swords

#9 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Cloud Atlas. Really liked the movie so wanted to see how the two differ.

#10 Posted by Unmada (68 posts) -

The Manual of Bean Curd Boxing by Paul Read.

#11 Posted by Artof_War (119 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk and Hells Angels by Hunter S Thompson (I like to trade off)

I'm reading around thirty to forty a year now thanks to my Kindle.

How do you like the Kindle? I value having the book in my hands and the satisfaction of turning the last page. Plus I like to support my local library, though they offer e-book rentals. I also don't travel much and have an iPad.

Give me a hard sell!

#12 Posted by Fredddi43 (331 posts) -

Animal Farm

#13 Posted by Artof_War (119 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

I'm listening to the audiobook of Dune during my commute to work. Hope that counts!

Never tried an audiobook. I only have a 10-15 minute commute to work, though an audiobook would probably be better than our awful sportstalk radio and horrible selection of radio stations. I usually listen to my cds. I also have Dune on my to-read!

#14 Edited by Artof_War (119 posts) -

@amp_1986 said:

A Storm of Swords

I plan to dive into this series eventually. Have you read Patrick Rothfuss' first two books in his trilogy: The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear? Really good imo.

#15 Posted by phuzzybunny (172 posts) -

Lord of the Rings.

I was just going to read The Hobbit then move on to Trust Me I'm Lying but you have to read Lord of the Rings after The Hobbit (at least I do).

#16 Posted by notdavid (839 posts) -

I'm getting ready to dig into The Wheel of Time. Every time I rewatch the LotR movies, I get the urge to read the books. I never make it through The Hobbit because I always end up disappointed by the difference in tone, so this time I decided to try out a fantasy series that I have no preconceptions or expectations of.

I don't think I really got into a novel since I read Battle Royale a few years ago, though.

#17 Posted by Colt45 (54 posts) -

Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar

It's like a choose-your-own-adventure for Lit. nerds.

#18 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Rereading the second Republic Commando book.

#19 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (521 posts) -

I don't read nearly as much as I used to, but right now it is A Wanted Man by Lee Child.

I'm considering a Kindle, but I love having a stocked bookshelf. If I could spend an extra few bucks when I buy a hardcover and also get a digital copy, like a lot of record labels do when you buy vinyl, that would be amazing.

#20 Posted by Aegon (5602 posts) -

When I have time, An Autum War, book 3 of the Long Price Quartet.

#21 Posted by bibamatt (1088 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

@bibamatt said:

Never tried an audiobook. I only have a 10-15 minute commute to work, though an audiobook would probably be better than our awful sportstalk radio and horrible selection of radio stations. I usually listen to my cds. I also have Dune on my to-read!

Unfortunately, I have three hours of commute each day (1 and a half each way!) so I've got plennnnty of time for podcasts/audiobooks/music each day. Wish I had a three-hour Bombcast seven days a week... GOTY time is the best for me! :D

#22 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

I read about a Dozen or so books a year now, I never really read as a kid and only started doing it now on my commute thanks to a kindle and a back log of some books I bought that were recommended to me.

A Song of Fire and Ice: Book 1, about 700 pages into it should finish it this weekend or early. Planning to read Harry Potter Book 1 after that due to a Trivia tournament that is coming up with a free trip to Orlando to visit the theme park that shall not be named :D

After that will probably be book 2 of Song of Fire and Ice with plans to finish book 3 before the 3rd season of the show starts.

#23 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -

Death Masks

#24 Posted by superkebabi (27 posts) -

Currently partway through The Postman Always Rings Twice by James Cain, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick, and F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

#25 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

I've started to read The Lord of The Rings trilogy, I finished The Hobbit a few weeks back.

#26 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (896 posts) -

Right now I am in the middle of Perdido Street Station. Mr. China Miéville is one fucked up guy. Love it.

Last one I read was Cloud Atlas. Really great book. And I got a pile of books I should get through as fast as possible. Working in a bookstore is no joke.

#27 Posted by Artof_War (119 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

I read about a Dozen or so books a year now, I never really read as a kid and only started doing it now on my commute thanks to a kindle and a back log of some books I bought that were recommended to me.

A Song of Fire and Ice: Book 1, about 700 pages into it should finish it this weekend or early. Planning to read Harry Potter Book 1 after that due to a Trivia tournament that is coming up with a free trip to Orlando to visit the theme park that shall not be named :D

After that will probably be book 2 of Song of Fire and Ice with plans to finish book 3 before the 3rd season of the show starts.

I suggest joining GoodReads. When I joined I read at most 5 per year. Last year I read 30, this year will be 40. Feeds the addiction with their Netflix style recommendation system.

#28 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Is it that time of the month where someone posts another thread about books? I guess I better talk about Cormac McCarthy some more. I'm reading All the Pretty Horses and thinking about restarting House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski.

#29 Edited by CaLe (3983 posts) -

Genocidal Organ by Keikaku Itoh. It's kinda losing me though. There are too many stilted conversations making it hard to get into. Feels like the author is trying to get a point across rather than tell a good story. Atlas Shrugged had this problem, especially towards the end.

#30 Posted by LTSmash (624 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

@Subject2Change said:

I suggest joining GoodReads. When I joined I read at most 5 per year. Last year I read 30, this year will be 40. Feeds the addiction with their Netflix style recommendation system.

I'll second GoodReads. I used to use a spreadsheet to keep track of my reading, but the GoodReads apps make things so much easier.

Currently reading: Six Months in 1945: FDR, Stalin, Churchill, and Truman--from World War to Cold War by Michael Dobbs.

#31 Posted by Artof_War (119 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

Is it that time of the month where someone posts another thread about books? I guess I better talk about Cormac McCarthy some more. I'm reading All the Pretty Horses and thinking about restarting House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski.

Never posted in the forms until today, so I'm not privy to tradition. But I'm glad I could make the obligatory monthly book topic.

#32 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

Just started Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.

#33 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i've mostly been reading or rereading graphic novels (comics) such as v for vendetta, green lantern, batman, ect.

#34 Posted by Sergio (2122 posts) -

I'm currently on the last couple of chapters of Dodger by Terry Pratchett.

I also use Goodreads.

#35 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

@Subject2Change said:

Awesome. Thanks. I'll take a look into it. I find my taste in books is similar to that of comic books, mostly Horror related or I guess Dark/Gory Sci-Fi so it's always been hard for me to find good reading material.

#36 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -

Knuckle Supper by Drew Stepek. It's OK.

#37 Posted by SomeJerk (3246 posts) -

Are you a nerd? Are you not entirely opposed to stories that come from Japan? Would you like to blow your mind and enjoy many sweet moments?

My last book was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Girls , I just re-read it just for the maths lessons. Maybe that's why I've been suffering from these sick ass migraines lately.

#38 Posted by Sergio (2122 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

Are you a nerd? Are you not entirely opposed to stories that come from Japan? Would you like to blow your mind and enjoy many sweet moments?

My last book was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Girls , I just re-read it just for the maths lessons. Maybe that's why I've been suffering from these sick ass migraines lately.

I actually have a copy of that in my queue.

#39 Posted by LTSmash (624 posts) -

@JacobG said:

Just started Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.

Just finished that a couple of weeks ago. One of the few non-fiction books that put me on the edge of my seat.

#40 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

'Bout an eight of the way through A Feast of Crows, fourth in A Song of Ice and Fire series. I've heard it's the worse so far, but at the moment it doesn't seem that bad.

#41 Posted by 49th (2756 posts) -

Gulliver's Travels

#42 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

@LTSmash: Glad to hear that! Into the Wild is one of my favorite books so I figured I'd check out Krakauer's other stuff, and so far I'm really liking Into Thin Air.

#43 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

When Affirmative Action was White.

it's a book I need to read for my social policy class. need to do it by Monday too ;3

#44 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

@ShadowConqueror said:

Never posted in the forms until today, so I'm not privy to tradition. But I'm glad I could make the obligatory monthly book topic.

I suppose there are worse topics to have every month. I understand you haven't been around long, which is fine, but to the community as a whole, we can probably give book topics a break.

#45 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

@Vonocourt: It's my least favorite of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but I still really enjoyed it. My biggest problem was that a majority of the characters who I wanted to read about, like Arya, Tyrion, Jon and Bran, were left for A Dance With Dragons, so I basically wanted to get through it as quickly as possible so that I could get to ADWD. The Jaime, Brienne and Samwell chapters were really the highlights for me.

#46 Edited by granderojo (1788 posts) -

As a Pinball aficionado and a fan of Murakami, I figured I would pick up his "Pinball, 1973" which was his second novel. Its incredibly rare and super expensive, but I was able to find a ebook of it.

Surprisingly he talks about more pinball than I thought he would.

#47 Posted by T00L (10 posts) -

Re-reading the Silmarillion to prepare for The Hobbit. Doesn't get any easier, even after the 4th time, but it's still a great story.

#48 Posted by Sergio (2122 posts) -

@JacobG said:

@Vonocourt: It's my least favorite of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but I still really enjoyed it. My biggest problem was that a majority of the characters who I wanted to read about, like Arya, Tyrion, Jon and Bran, were left for A Dance With Dragons, so I basically wanted to get through it as quickly as possible so that I could get to ADWD. The Jaime, Brienne and Samwell chapters were really the highlights for me.

And after reading Dance with Dragons, I was still waiting to read about Arya. It was my least favorite of the series. Introducing PoV characters I don't care about, and then one of them was pretty much pointless.

#49 Posted by DrIntrovert (81 posts) -

Just finished Cold Days, the most recent novel of the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Pretty much anything I could say about that book would be a spoiler (it just came out 11/30) but the series is the quintessential urban fantasy series, a great combination of noir detective fiction and magic. I'm about to start reading Glasshouse by Charles Stross, never read anything by him but it was highly recommended, so we'll see.

#50 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1010 posts) -

Alamut by Vladimir Bertoli

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."