Has a Giant Bomb review ever made up your mind?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

Well, I'm curious! I read/watch most of the reviews Giant Bomb puts out, regardless of whether I want the game or if I even have the console that can play it, largely because they are straight-up enjoyable. I love the team's writing style and the way they retain their personality in everything they do; something few others can boast. I want to hear your thoughts on the matter, and after you vote (for the oblivious: see the above poll) I would like you to tell me about it!

Imma go first! :D

Yes, Giant Bomb has sold me:

An example of me watching/reading a review for shits & giggles, successfully making me giggle like a five year old, is Jeff's review of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. For those of you who haven't watched the video, you're officially a jerk until you see it. Jeff's impersonation of the desperation of the G-Unit is one of the funniest things I have seen in ages. Also, I highly suggest reading Vinny's review for Fable II. I got a kick out of it, cackling like a maniac.

But sometimes, I take a look at the reviews out of "necessity" in order to make a purchasing decision. Should I or should I not buy this game? And these reviews have been incredibly successful in helping me decide where and when my cash monies should be spent.

For awhile I had thought to myself, "Dude, I don't want Gears of War 2. Gears of War was good, but I think one's been enough." But I felt that, at the very least, I owed it to myself to check out Jeff's Gears of War 2 review. And guess what? I saw it and said, "Holy shit. One Gears of War is not enough. I need to get on this shit, right now!"

Another game was Condemned 2: Bloodshot. I loved Condemned: Criminal Origins like a panda loves bamboo (did you know that bamboo makes up 99% of a panda's diet?! =P,) because it was truly a horror game. From start to finish, Condemned: CO managed to do what no game had been to do. It made me fear; something the ironically acronymed First Encounter Assault Recon (F.E.A.R.) did not accomplish. Let me digress for a second: In F.E.A.R.'s defense, it's still one hell of a game. Anyway, I played Condemned: CO and loved it. When I heard there was going to be a sequel, I was ecstatic. But, at the same time, 2007 was jam-packed with incredible games and as a result, when Bloodshot came out, I was so wrapped up in other games that I didn't get around to playing it. Months later, I gave up on the premise of ever getting around to playing it. Fortunately, during the course of Summer '08, I checked Ryan's review. And. I. Was. Sold. Although I disagree with Ryan's sentiments that Bloodshot is superior to Criminal Origins, I had a great time with Bloodshot and I credit the purchase to Ryan's review.

Lastly I would like to make note of Giant Bomb's most successful persuasion.

As a kid, I spent hours upon umpteen hours fooling around in Banjo-Kazooie. The prospect of a sequel was both foreign and exciting to me. But I'm ashamed to say that I felt chagrin upon the annoucement of what Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts would entail. My stupid, unfounded prejudice almost screwed me out of video game nirvana. When I saw that Brad reviewed the game, I decided to check it out as a shits & giggles activity that might satisfy my curiousity and kill some time. I was shocked  when I heard what Brad had to say. I trusted his judgement, checked the XBL demo, and plopped it on my Christmas List, at the last minute. My parents got me the game, and when I had finished Gears of War 2, I decided it was time to get to work on Nuts & Bolts.

How was it? Un-fucking-believably awesome. Not only did it evoke my greatest childhood memories like I was intravenously consuming nostalgia, but the game and the writing and graphics and EVERYTHING was as top-notch as I have seen to date. I liked it more than Grand Theft Auto IV, for christ sake! Were it not for the review, I would still be in the dark. And that would be an absolute tragedy. I have to thank Brad, and Giant Bomb as a whole, for the insight and reccomendation. So, yeah. Thanks!

Ow! =/

My knuckles hurt, wall of text is a giant wall. Yes?

*Sigh*

Hows aboot you, Giant Bomb?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Quite simply, no.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Brads review of nuts and bolts made it a must buy, whereas before I read it, I was going to wait for the price to drop.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Serker

Blood on the Sand... its playing on my xbox in the background as i type this. If giantbomb hadnt gotten me so excited for MKvDC and SFIV on their podcast i mightve never playedem. Burnout Paradise i got as a result of giantbombs lovin too.

All 4 of those games turned out just as good as id expected. Even you, Blood on the Sand.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I don't go by reviews on anything

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24

The Nuts and Bolts review really persuaded me to get it, even if preordered it already. Still, that is a good example.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Not really. But I still read them.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan

No.  I read and watch reviews on Giant Bomb and other game sites, but I do not make a final decision to buy the game based off of it

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By kush

No. No review from any site has ever (or will ever) make up my mind for me.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Reviews don't make up my mind, but sway me on how urgently I need the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I've only skimmed through a few of them. Don't really listen to those console gamers. :P

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Karmum

No, not really. I base my purchases on games I'm interested in, or I follow.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By damswedon

the nuts n bolts review turn that game from ill get it soon to a must have.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Black_Rose

Nope

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By albedos_shadow

Nuts & Bolts and Blood on the Sand totally sold me.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK

MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND LOL

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By danielkempster

Brad's review of Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise persuaded me to give it a chance. I picked it up for a bargain price and don't regret it at all. So, yes. I'd never completely rely on a review before making a purchase, but that one definitely tipped the scales.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tekmojo

By the time the review comes out (and the game ships), I already know whether I'm going to buy it or not.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero

In the case of Dead Space, it made me realize I absolutely needed to play it, even though originally I thought it seemed to scary for my tastes. I sure am glad I played it afterall. It's definitely one of the best games I've played from 2008.

Also, the Nuts & Bolts review made me feel a lot better about the fact that I had already preordered the game for the original Banjo-Kazooie. It ended up being another one of my favorites from '08.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By RedSox8933

i think that Brad's absolute love for Nuts and Bolts, putting on the top of his fav games of 2008, and his review, made me buy the game and thoroughly enjoy it. i also rented Blood on the Sand, only because of the video review and the podcast that followed.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Captain_Fookup

The reviews for Giant Bomb are always on point, these guys do this shit for a living.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BiggerBomb
Death_Unicorn said:
"Reviews don't make up my mind, but sway me on how urgently I need the game."

Now you're just splitting hairs.
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HazBazz

The nuts and bolts review, as well as all the bombcast praise, made me buy the game

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By JoelTGM
Death_Unicorn said:
This is pretty much how I feel.  I research upcoming games enough to know if they look good or bad.  A review will just tell me pretty much what I already knew from reading previews and watching videos.  A good review just raises the hype level for me.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiggerBomb
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"Death_Unicorn said:
This is pretty much how I feel.  I research upcoming games enough to know if they look good or bad.  A review will just tell me pretty much what I already knew from reading previews and watching videos.  A good review just raises the hype level for me."

That's just arguing semantics, DoubleS. I'm not asking if Giant Bomb has caused you to buy a game through means of mind control, I'm asking whether a review here has made it clear that "this" game is for "you."
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust

To date, no GB review has been the deciding factor in me buying a game.  However, Brad's recent look at Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS did make me add it to my Gamefly queue.  If I like it then, I'll buy it.  I think he'll deserve the credit should that happen.  Over at 1UP though, Jeremy Parish's recent review of Dragon Quest V did make me out-and-out buy the game.  So, I can be influenced in that manner, it just hasn't yet happened here at GB.

By the way, DQ5 is absolutely fantastic if you are interested in JRPGs (experienced or novice) and everything Parish said about the game is true.

GB on Fire Emblem: http://www.giantbomb.com/fire-emblem-shadow-dragon/61-24220/my-first-fire-emblem/35-231149/#61
1UP on Dragon Quest V: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3172783&p=39

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Babble

The Banjo and Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts review really helped me make the choice to buy it. (Though it being $26 helped as well). I was on the fence with the game after playing the demo but the actual game is a hundred times better.

I am very happy I picked it up.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

No GB review has been the deciding factor in whether or not I bought the game, I tend to look at a lot of reviews and opinions before making a purchase.

richied0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By richied0

No, not really, it's more discussions on podcasts that get me to decide. I tend to look across multiple reviews as well not just Giant Bomb.

The Endurance Run made me preorder Persona 4 though, does that count?

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Alexander

No. I don't buy a lot of games, and when I do it's something I've been following and have a good feeling about. Take Midnight Club, I felt Ryan was way off on that one. That's not to say it doesn't influence me in any way. But some things do so more than others - like an Edge magazine review for example. I don't normally disagree with them.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shadows_kill

jeff's review on street fighter 4 has made me want to get it..... thinking about picking it up..

SunBurntYeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SunBurntYeti

Not really a review but the Endurance Run did get me interested in Persona 4.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By meteora

Nope, not yet anyways. Maybe sometime in the future. Looking back, Brad's review of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts does spark an interest for me now.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34  Edited By Geno

Most recent one I can think of is The Maw.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Red

I guess Brad's Banjo Kazooie review did make me want to order it a few months ago.

I did order it....it just hasn't arrived yet.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Claude

The new "Quick Look" plays a large role in my gaming habits, probably more than the reviews. Quick looks have more than one person, different perspective.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37  Edited By JonathanMoore

SF4 I bought because of the Bomb review.

-- God Bless.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#38  Edited By dudacles

The endurance run got me interested in the Persona series, I picked up BK:N&B this quickly because Brad's review made it sound awesome (it is), and more. Yes, I do feel like GB's reviews are great, and really helpful.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Red

Oh, and the Endurance Run did make me buy Persona 3: FES and Persona 4.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#40  Edited By EpicSteve

No one should ever only use one source for reviews. However, Giantbomb's opinion does have more of a weight to it for me than other sites. This is mainly due to the fact that I've listened to every single Giantbombcast, and Gamespot's podcast for over a year, so I feel like I understand what these guy's taste in games.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By atejas

I don't trust professional reviews.
Actually, I should say that I don't let one review be the deciding factor. I tend to look at user reviews more anyway.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By harrisonave

No review ever makes a decision, for me.  I'll read several different reviews, mainly just to get a grasp on things like gameplay and features, and decide from there if it's a game for me.  Granted, the Giant Bomb gang and I usually share a very similar opinion on video games, I always leave the final decision up to myself and my  own experience.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Warfare

Not at all.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By animateria

Once... HAWX.

Not buying the game.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wolverine

Giant Bomb reviews made me buy GTA 4 and Fable 2.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Optiow

Yeah a few have made me change my mind.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#47  Edited By AgentJ

Giant Bomb does reviews? But no, not really. They just don't do very many, and they haven't been for games i am interested in for the most part, though to be fair i've only been using this site for about a month.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheGremp

My answer is no.

To be fair, I don't really rely on reviews from any site, so it's not just Giant Bomb.  I usually come to a conclusion of my own.

But I mostly read GB's reviews, and everything else on the site for that matter, for entertainment.  The personality and general awesomeness held within Giant Bomb's reviews is unmatched.  Gamespot and IGN seem to just kinda sleep through their reviews, and it's pretty boring.  Long live Giant Bomb! xD