Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

February Vita lineup and upcoming titles

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By BlackLagoon

It's the second month of the year and the release schedule is picking up quite a bit, with some solid titles in both the retail and downloadable sections. As usual, this list is focused on the North American market, with Europe and Japan exclusive titles in their own sections below.

The month's retail line up starts with more LEGO, this time a tie in to the LEGO movie out in theaters the same day. The week after we get into the more meaty stuff, with Tecmo Koei bringing over Toukiden: The Age of Demons - Dynasty Warriors developer Omega Force's take on the boss hunting game. It made quite the impact in Japan, becoming their biggest new video game IP in 2013, and hopefully it'll get a good reception here as well.

Coming on the same day is also Spike Chunsoft's Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. Described as a weird and wonderful mix of mystery visual novels like 999 and court room antics like Phoenix Wright (with some rhythm game sections thrown in for good measure), it locks the students of an elite high school inside and tells them the only one who's getting out is the first one to commit a murder and get away with it. Originally released in Japan on the PSP, that version never made it over. So we're getting the enhanced Vita port instead with new content and higher resolution graphics.

In the downloadable realm, Capcom makes a rare appearance on the platform publishing challenging platformer Dustforce. Futurlab continues their dedication to the Vita with Surge Deluxe, an enhanced version of their earlier PS Mobile block matching game. Also coming is 2D side-scrolling shooter Gunslugs, and physics puzzler King Oddball. And finally, another Vita exlusive - the not at all Tempest related tube shooter TxK from Jeff Minter. As always there's usually more download released annouced as the month goes on.

January wasn't that heavy on western new title reveals. Most notably Idea Factory International annouced their publishing debut by localizing risqué card game Monster Monpice, while Aksys picked up the slightly Persona-looking dungeon crawler Mind Zero. Scottish indie developer Ludometrics also teased something akin to medieval Speedball with the Vita exclusive Bodycheck, and Mahjong World Contest appeared out of nowhere in a EU PSN store update.

Once again Japan does a lot better, with more busty ninjas in the Deka Mori Senran Kagura rhythm cooking game, a new Pro Baseball Spirits game from Konami, a rhythm game centered on the vocaloid IA (who was heavily featured on the Demon Gaze soundtrack), and some kind of free to play game from Planet G. It's also getting a port of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasm, and a console exclusive port of Fate/hollow ataraxia - the follow up acclaimed visual novel Fate/stay night.

And, well, that ought to do it. Please be excited for March, when Square Enix finally delivers on their Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD pre-launch announcement and Tecmo Koei tries to lure you into another devious installment of Deception.

February

Retail

Downloads

Early 2014?

Retail

Downloads

Rest of the year

Retail releases

Downloads

Unconfirmed/Vaporware

• Still Time - Minimalist indie puzzle platformer
    • New Ys game

Europe

(Titles out in Europe with no American release announced.)

Japan

(Incomplete list of Japanese titles that have yet to be announced for western release)

Upcoming

Retail (released)

Download (released)

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I just wanna say thank you @blacklagoon, you're doing a great job for the Vita community here at GB.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As usual, read comment above because that's my feeling. Although this thread does nothing for me because I keep up with games like you. But still good to have it.

Either way, I want to buy Danganronpa day 1 but I just can't. I have to pre-order Infamous (I bought a PS4!) and the rest of the money I have is going to be my school for this semester of college. So poor.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

So wait, Danganronpa is actually getting released in the states?

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Flappy

So wait, Danganronpa is actually getting released in the states?

A-yup. Interested?

I'm so hype for Dustforce. After watching it being run during SGDQ 2013, I've had an interest ever since.

Fig811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Fig811

Thank you so much for the list, had no idea there are so many games coming out for the vita. I can't wait for the new Binding of Isaac to come out. It's going to be nice to take a portable version of that game. Plus Hatsune Miku will be a great pick up for the vita, there needs to be more music games on handhelds.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

Awesome. Toukiden and FFX/X2 are my most anticipated games so far and they're both going to be released within the next two months :)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By glots

Oh boy. From the two consoles I've bought recently (Vita only yesterday), the other one is getting a biiit more love in the upcoming future, it seems. Granted, Vita came out ages ago already, already has a pile of games released on it and supports bunch of old games, while PS4 is still fresh, but...daymn. Not that I'm complaining, especially with cross-buy in some titles!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I am so ready to play Minecraft on my Vita. I just hope it controls better than Terraria, which I didn't buy because the demo was clunky.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll get Toukiden at some point, I'm just not sure when yet. I also haven't decided whether I'll get the FFX collection for the Vita or PS3.

I'll echo the posts above in saying thanks for making these lists.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm less interested in the Danganronpa game after seeing some gameplay footage. I'm in the process of downloading the Toukiden demo, so I'll see what I think of that later. In the meantime, I have Dragon's Crown to keep me busy as I wait for Binding of Isaac and Fez to drop.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm super psyched to finally play danganronpa, gonna download it as soon as it's available. I've been playing the toukiden demo and actually really enjoy it even though I'm not a big fan of MH or soul sacrifice. Great work again this month.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Danganronpa: 999 + Phoenix Wright? Yes please!

Played a bit of Dustforce on PC and thought it was pretty good, but the real star of the game is the music. That soundtrack is so good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.