By CrazyRah 0 Comments
To start it of i'd like to wish everyone a merry christmas and a fantastic new year! I hope 2014 will be a good year for everyone! In terms of games 2013 will be a year to remember as the old generation finally saw its successors arrive and that we got the chance to play tons and tons of great games!
The games i looked forward to the most this year was the following:
1. GTA: V
3. Tomb Raider
What game lived up the anticipation the best?
GTA: V: (2nd) - Grand Theft Auto: V had everything that i've come to love and want in a GTA game. There was a world that i had unlimited fun in exploring and doing whatever i wanted to do. There were also some pretty great cards with a much improved driving mechanic from previous installments. Can't forget the fairly good characters that were excelled by Trevor and his crazy antics. In addition to a enjoyable story this game ended up being well worth the purchase!
The largest disappointment
Total War: Rome 2 - This year had two main contenders for largest disappointment this year. SimCity and Rome 2.. And i'm going with Rome 2 on the basis that i absolutely adore the orignal Rome and had been looking forward to this title for far longer than i ever did the mistake of looking forward to SimCity. This game is the very essence of disappointment. Awful AI, awful performance, awful game design, awful EVERYTHING. I've been disappointed before but i don't think any title has made me give up in disgust as easily as Rome 2 managed. I've not even been able to look at the title without shake my head in disgust at what was released. Really awful practice by Creative Assembly. They just took the most beloved part of their franchise and messed it up so bad that it's hard to understand. Whatever they do next i hope they do a far better job, but i will not be there at start wanting to even know of their games existance. I'll be patient and wait for it to show its true self.
10. Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm - The singleplayer is for me about as enjoyable as Wings of Liberty was however Kerrigan did make it memorable despite all the flaws. The multiplayer got a much needed shot in the arm and is now more lively than ever.
9. Saints Row: IV - I was hesitant at first with the addition of superpowers and the game moving further away from being a gangster game but i had quite a bit fun with the game. It got plenty of flaws but it had some cheeky humour that made me chuckle more than once.
8. Bioshock: Infinite - An excellent storyline that made us spend time with Booker and Elizabeth and they really did an amazing job of making the game stand on its own legs. The beautiful vistas added to this but the flaw of this game was the gunplay and it drag the otherwise excellent title down a lot with me. Still well done!
Beyond: Two Souls (4th) - Everything tell me i shouldn't like this title as much as i do. But yet i do like this interactive movie. This was a title that came completely out of the blue and suprised me entierly. I had no expectation at all on seeing this title on this blog at all but yet it is. It's a beautiful game and the protagonist of Jodie Holmes, voice by Ellen Page take her apperance from the same lady. The interactions in the game is sometimes quite fun and sometiems a bit of a drag. What i can say safely is that i absolutely loved being Aiden and set fear into people without them being able to even know i was there. Perhaps it's the big brother part of me that really liked protecting someone? Still can't say why it's here and that's proof enough that it is my unexpected of this year.
7. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft - A card game that absolutely fit like a glove for me. I was already invested in Warcraft since long and an easy to understand and easy to get into game made this storm right into my life and it's been growing stronger as each day pass. Great experience!
6. Europa Universalis: IV - Crusader Kings 2 made me a believe in this time of game and EU4 did not disappoint at all, on the contrary it excelled above of what i had expected of it and i spent a great amount of time playing this game during the year. The very different aspects of the game really make each game a bit unique and i've never had two games that has taken the same route.
5. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - AC3 made me hesitant to get this title but after seeing and hearing about the greatness of the piracy i took the bet and it really payed of. I loved being the captain of my own ship in AC3 and Black Flag took it to another level and i've never been able to live out the pirate in me like i did with this game. Really impressive game by Ubisoft!
Bioshock: Infinite (8th) - This game did everything right with its soundtrack. Full to the brim with tracks that all can stand well with any track from any game this year and yet the very best tracks of this game are so good that i've been listening to them for hours to end more than once. "Will the Circle be Unbroken" is a personal favourite and damn is it magnificent. I will remember Infinite first and foremost for its soundtrack! Other games had a few good tracks but none had the depth of Infinite and that's why it's my chocie for Best Soundtrack this year
4. Beyond: Two Souls - The game i shouldn't like as much as i do yet it's up here fighting with all these great games. Jodie and Aiden is what i'll take with me from this game. Can't forget that there'll always be a title that will suprise me greatly and this year had Beyond.
3. Tomb Raider - A really beautiful game that had some pretty fantastic enviroments. The game really did well on right about everything and made me invested in the Tomb Raider franchise like never before. It was good to see Laura again and this time very early in her story. Can't wait for more to come!
2. GTA: V - A fantastic comeback from Rockstar with me after the very weak GTA: IV. A far more interesting setting and better characters and generally better everything. The driving recived such improvements that it was truly a blast to just cruise around in whatever car i could get my hands on. Racing down the highway in a sports car caused thrills that is hard to get anywhere else.
Character of the Year
Ellie - This wonderful girl is carrying on a proud tradtion after last years winner Clementine. Ellie is a blast to spend time with and hearing her curse and fight in a world that is not doing well at all made her grow on me. She became someone that i cared about and was ready to tear the world apart to save and that's a feat that isn't easily done. The section where i'm allowed to play as her is probably my favorite part of the game because the story she end up in really make her character grow and reach some absolutely magnificent levels of awesome. I got so many great memories of this wonderful and badass girl. I just can't stop chuckling at the part where she open a magazine that's not intended for her and she just make Last of Us shine even stronger with her existance.
Game of the year
The Last of Us (1st) - My game of the year goes to the absolutely brilliant game from Naughty Dog! This title brought the utterly fantastic chemistry between the two characters Ellie and Joel to such levels that i didn't want the game to end. I wanted more time with them and their struggle in a world that's gone to hell. The story is fantastic and perfect for the game that was delivered. The game isn't perfect but it do so well in millions of areas that the flaws almost become forgotten beneth all that's done right. This title really deserve all the praise it has gotten and i will not forget it anytime soon. It left a mark on me that i cherish greatly and i'm really glad that Naughty Dog made this game. Thank you! Last of Us is for me the best exclusive title of this generation and i'm happy that it came when it did and made 2013 a year full of excellent titles.