Steam Holiday Sale 2011

#1 Edited by gike987 (1758 posts) -

Keep your wallets safe, the time of the year when you spend all your money on games you will never play and have to explain to your family why they won't get any Christmas gifts is now here. That's right, it's this years Steam Holiday Sale.

If you haven't noticed Christmas themed achievements have started to appear in games and are most likely related to some event like the ones during previous steam sales. So getting those could be a good way to spend your time while you wait for the sale to start.

First rule of steam sales:

Don't buy anything that isn't a daily deal until the last day of the sale.

Useful sites

http://www.steamprices.com

Use this site to compare price differences between regions. This site is useful if you know someone in another region and and want to trade gifts. You will notice when you visit the site that there are two European flags (one with the number 2 in one of it's corners), that's because Europe is often separated into two regions on steam. The European regions are:

Europe 1: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland

Europe 2: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Vatican City

The region lists are not official so not all games fit those regions.

http://www.steamgamesales.com/

This site can be used to find good deals that are not advertised on the front page. Keep in mind the first rule, although if you find an extremely cheap game or a game were savings is higher than 75% it usually won't be a daily deal.

Today's Deals

Day 14

GameStore PagePriceComment
The Elder Scrolls V: SkyrimLink-33%
Batman: Arkham CityLink-50%
Deus Ex: Human RevolutionLink-66%
PortalLink-75%
Portal 2Link-75%
Total War franchiseLink-75%
MagickaLink-75%
Dead IslandLink-50%
Saints Row: The ThirdLink-33%
Dungeon DefendersLink-75%
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3Link-25%
L.A. NoireLink-75%
Orcs Must Die!Link-75%
TerrariaLink-75%
BastionLink-66%
Assassin's Creed packLink-60%Revelations -25%, Brotherhood -66%, 1 and 2 -75%
Serious Sam 3: BFELink-50%
Serious Sam: The Random EncounterLink-75%
Serious Sam: Double DLink-75%
Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition (1, 2)Link-90%

Day 13:

Day 12:

Day 11:

Day 10:

Day 9:

Day 8:

Day 7:

Day 6:

Day 5:

Day 4:

Day 3:

Day 2:

Day 1:

#2 Posted by wemibelec90 (1743 posts) -

I'm glad that this is the year I have no money for this sale because I practically have everything I could possibly want from the bazillion other Steam sales over the last few years. Saves me a lot of trouble.

Now, if I just had more money for that GoG sale...

#3 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I forgot that there might me specific achievements to get. Gonna have to try and run the games on my laptop because I left my PC at uni. I can imagine the Space Marine one hard to get on this old machine.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12091 posts) -

Yay.

Looking forward to it, not really sure what I'm going to get though. The only thing I'm sure I'm going to pick up is Deus Ex: Missing Link (If it's on sale that is...). I bought most of the other things I was interested in during the last sale D:

#5 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3487 posts) -

I look forward to purchasing the whole three games that I can actually play on my PC.

#6 Edited by gike987 (1758 posts) -

This site is a pretty useful for finding great deals that are not a daily deal (but remember to wait for eventual daily deals if the price is not ridiculously low). I will update the OP with more information (including the just mentioned site) once we know more about the sale.

Here are the items on sale I know of so far (and also how I know that the sale will start today)

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Yeah, noticed a bunch of my games updating recently and a few of them suddenly appeared with new Christmas-y achievements, so it seems likely they're doing the token thing again, like we saw at Summer.

Poker Night definitely has a new one, I hope it means some kind of new content for it.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (12035 posts) -

Wouldn't it be the craziest thing if one of the token prizes was a Dota 2 beta invite?

#9 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Or an Episode 3 beta invite.

#10 Posted by Seedofpower (3937 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Wouldn't it be the craziest thing if one of the token prizes was a Dota 2 beta invite?

I wouldn't put it past them. Maybe something along the lines of limited number of invites being up for purchase.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I spent a terrifying amount of money on games and a PC upgrade this year. 

I will only buy up to 40$ this Steam sale, and that's it.

#12 Edited by gike987 (1758 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

Yeah, noticed a bunch of my games updating recently and a few of them suddenly appeared with new Christmas-y achievements, so it seems likely they're doing the token thing again, like we saw at Summer.

Poker Night definitely has a new one, I hope it means some kind of new content for it.

There is no new content for that game and it's one of the most frustrating achievements. The Achievement is called Three Wise Men and you have to get Three of a kind kings and win the hand. It's entirely based on luck.

#13 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@gike987: Really, was that always there? I wonder why it was patched then. What about the Uplink achievement for nuking Santa?

#14 Edited by gike987 (1758 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: The achievement is new of course, but I did not find any new content in the game. The patch probably did nothing more than add some code that awards you the achievement if you get three kings.

#15 Posted by JacDG (2127 posts) -

Any chance Skyrim will go up for sale, or should I just buy it now?

#16 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

A list of steam gifts (to be given away in the achievement prize draw) has been leaked. Take a look.

Rumours speculate that a good chunk of these titles will also be on sale.

#17 Edited by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@JacDG: If the steam sale mirrors years past it will start today and last for two weeks ending on the 31st Dec.

2010: Started on Monday Christmas week - 20th Dec; ended after two weeks, on a Saturday - 2nd Jan.

---

Have you got any other titles to play or are you completely game-free? I recommend you wait it out, only two weeks.

#18 Posted by JacDG (2127 posts) -

@IkariNoTekken said:

@JacDG: If the steam sale mirrors years past it will start today and lasts for two weeks ending on the 31st Dec.

2010: Started on Monday Christmas week - 20th Dec; ended after two weeks, on a Saturday - 2nd Jan.

---

Have you got any other titles to play or are you completely game-free? I recommend you wait it out, only two weeks.

I have plenty of games, Deus Ex on console, and I just bought Shogun 2: Total War and Dawn of War II, as well as Civ 5 a month ago (just got an okay PC) It's just that I start school again January 3rd, so I won't have that much time to invest in games after these next few weeks. I'll just wait, just to be sure.

#19 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@JacDG said:

I wouldn't expect a massive discount, but you might get 10% off. It's probably worth waiting a bit.

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (12091 posts) -

@JacDG said:

Why wouldn't you wait 6 hours to find out?

#21 Posted by Seedofpower (3937 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@JacDG said:

But we want to know naaoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

#22 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

My wallet is ready.

#23 Posted by AjayRaz (12441 posts) -

i just want gemini rue and i'm good 

#24 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

It should start in 6 hours or tomorrow, right? I'm hoping the games in my wishlist are the first to go on sale :)

#25 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -
@JacDG said:

The way it's selling, I wouldn't hold your breath.
#26 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -
#27 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@gike987 said:

And always remember the first rule of steam sales: Don't buy anything that isn't a daily deal until the last day of the sale.

ALSO: When buying games you don't plan to install/play instantly, buy them as gifts.

As they are stored in your account you can activate and download them easily, but you also have the option to gift the item to someone else if you come to regret your purchase later on. Can't count how many times I've purchased games to then realise later on that I will never play them.

#28 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Save meh.

#29 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@IkariNoTekken said:

@gike987 said:

And always remember the first rule of steam sales: Don't buy anything that isn't a daily deal until the last day of the sale.

ALSO: When buying games you don't plan to install/play instantly, buy them as gifts.

As they are stored in your account you can activate and download them easily, but you also have the option to gift the item to someone else if you come to regret your purchase later on. Can't count how many times I've purchased games to then realise later on that I will never play them.

good advice, I'll remember that.

Also fuck not this time of year again urrrgh I both love and hate Steam sales.

#30 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Bring it on, Gabe. My wallet is yours for the taking.

#31 Posted by AlexW00d (6303 posts) -

I hope there are actually games I want to buy this sale, last two I bought very little.

#32 Posted by Inkerman (1452 posts) -

Only want one thing; MoW Vietnam.

#33 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Just a quick word of advice, don't attempt the Super Meat Boy Xmas levels unless you have a good few hours on your hands:

Argh, its looks horrible but I have to try.

#34 Posted by A_Dog (744 posts) -

Oh man, i just got paid...Must not buy more games I'll never play.

#35 Posted by PenguinDust (12554 posts) -

There's two games I'm looking for. If I can pick them up on the cheap I'll be happy. Neither are new so I am hopeful.

#36 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

I'm glad that this is the year I have no money for this sale because I practically have everything I could possibly want from the bazillion other Steam sales over the last few years. Saves me a lot of trouble.

Now, if I just had more money for that GoG sale...

Damn that GoG sale. They better still have it by Tuesday. I really want that Alpha Centauri.

#37 Posted by JacDG (2127 posts) -

@Seedofpower said:

@BeachThunder said:

@JacDG said:

I don't know how these things work, never really had a chance to participate in these crwaaaaazy sales, I assume all the daily sales aren't announced right away?

#38 Posted by misterhaan (227 posts) -

my plan is to limit purchases to trine 2, assassin's creed revelations, and maybe dlc for civilization v or some multiplayer games my friends are into. i have a huge backlog of unplayed games thanks mostly to cheap indie bundles so i have to limit it somehow! my previous limit was if it goes on sale and it’s already on my wishlist, but even that has made my list grow too fast!

#39 Posted by Seedofpower (3937 posts) -

@JacDG: If not today sometime this week. It is the week of Christmas, so this is when they would start to roll out all their big sales. Since a lot of the steam work games are getting achievements for the season, the community is assuming they are doing the same thing they did for the summer and have the community raffle.

#40 Posted by Silock (238 posts) -
@gike987 lol games we will never play sums up the sales nicely! That's precisely what happens
#41 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I was glad to see in a later thread that the gift packs will be returning. I have...plans...

#42 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@Seedofpower: The raffle has pretty much been confirmed as this list was leaked showing all the titles available to win. There's also speculation that most of these titles will also be seen in the sales.

#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

Oh god no... it's... it's about to begin isn't it? (thousand yard stare) My wallet cant handle this! Not now! I need that money to put gas in the gas tank to get to work and back! OH GOD WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?

I'm sure it won't be too bad. As a veteran of many a Steam sale there really isn't much left to buy that is of interest to me. The few games I would want haven't been out long enough for them to drop to the price I would be willing to pay for them. There's always one or two games that go super cheap that I just didn't know of, so this will probably be the year I top off and buy those handful of games I always put back on the virtual shelf.

#44 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

@JacDG said:

@Seedofpower said:

@BeachThunder said:

@JacDG said:

I don't know how these things work, never really had a chance to participate in these crwaaaaazy sales, I assume all the daily sales aren't announced right away?

The basic rule of a Steam sale is to never buy a game unless it's a daily deal. If by the last day of the sale a game you wanted did not come up as a daily deal then have at it, but no matter how good the sale looks wait for the daily deal because it will be even better.

#45 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I'm looking for SpaceChem to drop in price, and I'll probably pick up a few others I had no intention of buying once I've been paid.

Damn, I love the Steam sales.

Edit: This is how I discovered Alpha Protocol last year, and it gave me the best gameplaying experience I've had in the last few years.

Bottle of wine, apartment to myself, lights dimmed and snow nicely lit outside, topped with an evening of total immersion. Steam, don't fail me now!

#46 Posted by Brake (1105 posts) -

I would love Dirt3, Deus Ex: HR, Rage, Space Marine and You-gotta-play-it: The Third to come down in price. Oh wait, I have no money. Forget all that then.

#47 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

The only solace I have is that there can't possibly be that many more games for steam to sell me at this point. I owned everything I was remotely interested in last sale.

#48 Edited by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

The only solace I have is that there can't possibly be that many more games for steam to sell me at this point. I owned everything I was remotely interested in last sale.

Same here. I do want to play RAGE though, so if it goes below $30 I'll pick it up.

#49 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

Not buying anything for more than £10 and there is only one thing (NFS Hot Pursuit) that I'll buy for more than £5.

Last year, Mirror's Edge was the best thing I bought, it was such a pleasant surprise for £3 or something like that. Definitely made me more open to random games on sale.

#50 Posted by JoeyRavn (4994 posts) -

I got €2700 from a grant this year. That money is mine, no strings attached. I can spend it in whatever I want. I'm about to be given another €2700 grant and everything university-related is covered for this year.

My body is ready.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.