Since its inception in 2008, Giant Bomb has presented Game of the Year awards that celebrate not just the best in video games, but also some of the worst. And then there are some things that need to stop, please.
Over the years, the panelists, format, and content have changed and evolved. All of the podcasts, videos, guest lists, community votes, and a full list of every award can be found on the individual pages for each year.
Below here is a compilation of categories Giant Bomb has repeatedly used over the years to recognize the best and worst in games since 2008.
The best game of the year as decided by the site's staff at the time.
Best Mission / Level / Moment / Sequence
Originally designed for best original IP, this award began including characters and studios in the discussion in 2023.
Old Game of the Year
This award began as "2008's 2007 Game of the Year", but changed in 2013 to include even older games that had a significant impact on the site in that given year.
Best Short-Time Game
Best Classic Revival
Best Graphics / Best-Looking
Original starting as simply Best Graphics, this award changed in 2010 to more loosely include artistic choices rather than simply technical graphical prowess.
The number of Ys can vary from year to year.
Best Original Soundtrack / Best Music
Best Use of a Licensed Song
Most Disappointing Game
Worst Trend / Please Stop
- 2023 - Confusing Menus
- 2017 - Blind Boxes
- 2016 - Shipping Unfinished Games on Disc
- 2015 - Real Money Card Packs / One-Time Use Items
- 2014 - Shipping Broke-Ass Games
- 2013 - Games That Require Post-Launch Apologies
- 2012 - DLC That Should Be in the Main Game
- 2010 - Retailer Specific Pre-Order Bonuses
Dumbest Motion-Controlled Moment
Take a Break Award
Best Party / Cast of Characters
Best New Character
Character We'd Most Like to Party With
Best Running Around
Best Use of FMV
- 2013 - Xbox One DRM Reversal
- 2012 - Double Fine's Kickstarter
- 2011 - Supreme Court Defends Video Games
- 2013 - Expanded Rights for Digital Games
- 2012 - Day One Digital Releases
- 2011 - Higher Quality PC Ports for Console Games
Soulja Boy Award for Games To Play If You Drink And Get Drunk or Smoke And Get High
URL of the Year
Celebrating the best use of Nolan North in a game.
Best Horror Game
As chosen by Patrick Klepek.
Best Downloadable Game
Dave Snider's Eastern Bloc Game of the Year
Best PC Game
Best PS3 Game
Best Xbox 360 Game
Best Wii Game
Best DS Game
Best PSP Game
Best Multiplatform Game
* - This staff member's #1 pick also ended up being the site's overall #1.