Giant Bomb @ E3 2015
The Bethesda E3 Showcase
Sunday, June 14 @ 7:00 PM PDT - Dolby Theatre
- Pre-show hosted by Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb.
- Pete Hines (Vice President of Bethesda) welcomed everyone to the show.
- Marty Stratton (Executive Producer at id Software) presented the first gameplay footage of Doom.
- Pete Hines introduced Bethesda.net, a hub for all of the company's franchises.
- Lucas Davis (Design Director at BattleCry Studios) presented a new trailer for Battlecry.
- Harvey Smith and Raphael Colantonio (Co-Creative Directors at Arkane Studios) introduced the debut trailer for Dishonored 2 and then announced Dishonored "Definitive Edition" for PS4 and Xbox One.
- Matt Firor (Game Director at ZeniMax Online Studios) introduced a trailer for The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited showing features coming to the game in 2015.
- Pete Hines revealed the debut trailer for The Elder Scrolls: Legends, a strategy card game.
- Todd Howard (Game Director at Bethesda Game Studios) gave a presentation on Fallout 4 focusing on design decisions and concept art. He then showed the character creation tool, tutorial, and early areas of the game. Mini-games playable on the in-game Pip-Boy were shown.
- A replica Pip Boy was announced for the collector's edition of the game, which allows players to insert their phone. Bethesda will release an app as a second screen experience that integrates into the main game.
- Todd Howard revealed Fallout Shelter, a vault simulator for mobile devices. The game was made available on iOS platforms immediately.
- Todd Howard showed a video detailing the extent of Fallout 4's crafting and building systems.
- The release date for Fallout 4 was revealed to be November 10, 2015.
- Pete Hines thanked everyone for coming and closed the show.
- Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb hosted an hour-long post show interviewing many the night's presenters.
Xbox E3 2015 Briefing
Monday, June 15 @ 9:30 AM PDT - Galen Center
- A montage played narrated by characters such as Master Chief, Lara Croft, and Marcus Fenix.
- Bonnie Ross (Studio Head at 343 Industries) welcomed everyone and introduced a new trailer for Halo 5: Guardians, which was followed by a gameplay demonstration.
- A world premiere trailer for ReCore, a game developed by Keiji Inafune's Comcept and Armature Studio, was shown. Dated for Spring 2016.
- Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox) announced Xbox One Backwards Compatibility.
- Mike Ybarra (Head of Platform Engineering) announced that over 100 titles would be backwards compatible by the end of the year. Players will not be charged to play supported Xbox 360 games that the player already owns.
- Phil Spencer unveiled the Xbox One Elite Controller, which features interchangeable and adjustable features. MSRP $149.99.
- Todd Howard (Game Director at Bethesda Game Studios) introduced gameplay from Fallout 4. He announced that Fallout 3 will be included with Fallout 4 on Xbox One and that mods created on the PC version of the game would be downloadable on Xbox One for free.
- Peter Moore (COO of Electronic Arts) announced EA Access members will be able to play Madden NFL 16 and Need for Speed a week ahead of everyone else. Titanfall has joined the EA Access library and Dragon Age: Inquisition will follow soon.
- Peter Moore introduced the debut trailer for Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2.
- Henry Ford III (Ford Motor Company) and Dan Greenawalt (Creative Director at Turn 10 Studios) introduced a trailer for Forza Motorsport 6 featuring night races, weather, and 24-player multiplayer. Dated for September 15, 2015.
- A world premiere trailer for Dark Souls III was shown. Dated for Early 2016.
- A trailer for Tom Clancy's The Division was shown followed by Laurent Detoc (President of Ubisoft Americas) who announced an exclusive beta coming to Xbox One in December. He then announced that both Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas & Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 will be included free with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege on Xbox One. A new trailer was then shown.
- A trailer for Gigantic was shown announcing an August beta on Xbox One and Windows 10.
- A montage of indie games was shown including Cuphead, Rise & Shine, The Mean Greens, The Flame in the Flood, Phantasmal, The Solus Project, Westerado: Double Barreled, Sword Coast Legends, Outward, Goat Simulator, Behemoth Game 4, Below, ARK: Survival Evolved, Recruits, and Superhot.
- Chris Charla (Director of ID@Xbox) introduced a series of independent developers to discuss their games.
- Steven Gaynor (Fullbright) spoke about Tacoma and presented a trailer.
- Derek Bradley (Aurora44 Games) spoke about Ashen and presented a trailer.
- Sherida Halatoe (tiger & squid) spoke about Beyond Eyes and presented a trailer.
- Chad Moldenhauer and Jared Moldenhauer (Studio MDHR) spoke about Cuphead and presented a trailer.
- Chris Charla announced the Xbox Game Preview program which allows players to buy and play a select number of games that are still in active development. Some titles included are The Long Dark, Sheltered, Elite: Dangerous, and DayZ.
- Dean Hall (Bohemia Interactive Studio) announced ION will be available first on Xbox One and PC through the Preview program and presented a trailer.
- Brian Horton (Game Director at Crystal Dynamics) gave a live gameplay demo of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Dated for November 10, 2015.
- A world premiere trailer was shown for Rare Replay, a 30-game compilation for $30 available on August 4, 2015.
- Craig Duncan (Studio Head at Rare) revealed the world premiere trailer for Sea of Thieves.
- A new trailer was shown for Fable Legends.
- Kudo Tsunoda (Corporate VP of Microsoft Studios) announced a partnership with Valve VR. He also confirmed an Xbox One controller would be bundled with Oculus Rift. Additionally, Xbox One games will be playable on Oculus by streaming them through Windows 10.
- Lydia Winters (Brand Director at Mojang) and Saxs Persson (Microsoft Studios) gave a live demonstration of Minecraft played through Microsoft Hololens.
- Rod Fergusson (Studio Head of The Coalition) announced the Gears of War Ultimate Edition will arrive August 25, 2015 for Xbox One. He then gave a world premiere live demo of Gears 4. Dated for Holiday 2016.
- Phil Spencer returned to the stage to recap the show. He promised new info on Crackdown, Quantum Break, and Scalebound at Gamescom 2015 along with new reveals.
EA World Premiere: E3 2015 Preview
Monday, June 15 @ 1:00 PM PDT - Shrine Auditorium
- The presentation began with the world premiere trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda. Dated for Holiday 2016.
- Andrew Wilson (CEO of Electronic Arts) welcomed everyone and gave a quick rundown of what would be shown.
- The world premiere trailer for Need for Speed was shown. Marcus Nilsson (Founder of Ghost Games) spoke at length about the features of the game, then presented a gameplay trailer.
- Jeff Hickman (Studio General Manager of BioWare Austin) announced Knights of the Fallen Empire, an expansion for Star Wars: The Old Republic. A cinematic trailer was shown.
- Patrick Söderlund (Executive VP of EA Studios) presented the world premiere trailer for Unravel.
- Martin Sahlin (Creative Director at Coldwood Interactive) spoke about the inspiration for Unravel, then showed a gameplay trailer.
- Jeremy Vanhoozer (Franchise Creative Director at PopCap Games) spoke about Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, then introduced a live, on-stage gameplay demonstration of the game. A new trailer was shown after the demo.
- A trailer was shown for NHL 16. Matt Bilbey (EA Sports) spoke about the changes in this year's entry in the franchise. He then presented a trailer for Rory McIlroy PGA Tour touting it as the first EA Sports game on Frostbite 3.0. He then spoke about EA Sports Ultimate Team and improved training modes in all EA Sports titles.
- Sean O'Brien (Executive Producer) and Tha Hoop Gawd (Community Manager) gave a live demonstration of NBA Live 16's face capturing technology. A trailer was shown after O'Brien discussed the new features of this year's game.
- Samantha Ryan (Senior VP of EA Mobile) took the stage to discuss many of the new titles coming to mobile platforms including Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Mike Rasmussen (General Manager of EA Mobile) introduced a trailer for Minions Paradise followed by a gameplay trailer.
- David Rutter (Executive Producer) introduced soccer legend, Pelé, to the stage to discuss FIFA 16. A new trailer was then shown.
- Sara Jansson (Senior Producer at DICE) presented the world premiere trailer for Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Dated for February 23, 2016.
- Robert Flores (ESPN) and Seann Graddy (Senior Producer at EA Tiburon) introduced Draft Champions, a new fantasy football game.
- Seann Graddy then ran through some of the new features in Madden NFL 16, then presented a trailer.
- Peter Moore (COO of EA) spoke of the importance of Star Wars: Battlefront.
- Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir (Senior Producer at DICE) discussed the many features of Star Wars Battlefront then introduced the first gameplay footage of the game. Dated for November 17, 2015.
- Andrew Wilson thanked all the EA teams, Pelé, and the fans for joining him.
Ubisoft E3 Media Briefing 2015
Monday, June 15 @ 3:00 PM PDT - Orpheum Theater
- The event began with a surprise, world premiere trailer for South Park: The Fractured But Whole.
- Aisha Tyler welcomed everyone and introduced Trey Parker and Matt Stone to the stage to explain why they decided to make another game.
- Aisha Tyler then introduced Yves Guillemot (Co-Founder/CEO of Ubisoft Entertainment) who unveiled the world premiere trailer of For Honor.
- Jason VandenBerghe (Creative Director at Ubisoft Montreal) took the stage to talk about For Honor's inspiration and development. A live 4-on-4 gameplay demonstration was given.
- Aisha Tyler introduced trailers for expansions to 2014's The Crew and Trials Fusion.
- Ryan Barnard (Game Director at Ubisoft Massive) presented a new gameplay trailer for Tom Clancy's The Division. He announced beta programs on all platforms early next year and a release date of March 8, 2016.
- Aisha Tyler presented a world premiere trailer for Anno 2205.
- Jason Altman (Executive Producer) introduced Jason Derulo who performed a song on-stage in conjunction with Just Dance 2016. A streaming service called "Just Dance Unlimited" was announced for PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U.
- A new trailer for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege featuring Angela Bassett was shown. Aisha Tyler brought Angela Bassett onto the stage to discuss her role as Agent Six in the game.
- Genevieve Forget (Community Manager at Ubisoft Montreal) announced Terrohunt mode was returning to Rainbow Six and then introduced a live, 5-player on stage demo of the game. A beta starts September 24, 2015.
- Aisha Tyler presented a world premiere trailer for TrackMania Turbo.
- François Alaux (Creative Director) and Tommy François (Editorial VP) gave a live gameplay demo of TrackMania Turbo on PlayStation 4.
- Aisha Tyler presented a new cinematic trailer for Assassin's Creed Syndicate.
- Marc-Alexis Côté (Creative Director at Ubisoft Quebec) spoke about the development of Assassin's Creed Syndicate.
- Yves Guillemot returned to the stage for a final announcement. He revealed a world premiere trailer from Ubisoft Paris for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands.
- Aisha Tyler recapped the show and thanked everyone for watching.
PlayStation E3 2015 Press Conference
Monday, June 15 @ 6:00 PM PDT - Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena
- After a montage, Shawn Layden (President & CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America) welcome everyone to the event.
- Shawn Layden then revealed new gameplay footage from The Last Guardian, which had not been seen in several years.
- Shuhei Yoshida (President of Worldwide Studios at SCE) thanked Fumito Ueda for his hard work on the long delayed game.
- Hermen Hulst (Managing Director & Co-Founder of Guerrilla Games) announced their new franchise with a trailer and gameplay footage for Horizon: Zero Dawn.
- A world premiere trailer for Hitman was shown.
- Asad Qizilbash (Head of Software Marketing at SCEA) took the stage to announce the new Hitman game will have a beta exclusive to PS4.
- Asad Qizilbash revealed a new trailer for Street Fighter V was shown, which introduced Cammy and Birdie. The public beta exclusive to PS4 begins July 23, 2015.
- Sean Murray (Managing Director at Hello Games) gave a live demo of No Man's Sky.
- Alex Evans (Technical Director & Co-Founder at Media Molecule) presented a world premiere trailer for Dreams.
- Asad Qizilbash presented a new trailer for Firewatch, which will debut on consoles on PS4.
- Adam Boyes (Vice President of Publisher & Developer Relations at SCEA) unveiled the world premiere trailer for The Taken King, which is a major expansion for Destiny coming September 15, 2015.
- Adam Boyes then presented a new trailer for Assassin's Creed Syndicate, which focused on Evie Frye, one of the two protagonists in the game. A series of missions called The Dreadful Crimes will be exclusive to PS4.
- Adam Boyes then revealed the world premiere trailer for World of Final Fantasy, which is exclusive to PS4 and PS Vita in 2016.
- Adam Boyes next revealed the world premiere trailer for the Final Fantasy VII Remake, which will come first to PS4.
- Adam Boyes presented a trailer featuring a montage of four games from Devolver Digital including Ronin, EITR, Mother Russia Bleeds, and Crossing Souls. All of which are coming first to PS4.
- Adam Boyes then announced a Kickstarter project from Yu Suzuki to fund Shenmue III.
- Yu Suzuki came on stage to personally launch the Kickstarter.
- A trailer for Batman: Arkham Knight was shown featuring PS4 exclusive Scarecrow missions.
- Andrew House (President & Global CEO of SCE) took the stage to talk about Project Morpheus including footage from EVE: Valkyrie, Godling, The Deep, World War Toons, Wayward Sky, and Rigs: Mechanized Combat League.
- Andrew House then spoke about the importance of the partnership with Spotify and the promise of PlayStation Vue, which will allow subscribers to purchase channels a la carte without a required bundle.
- Mark Lamia (Studio Head of Treyarch) presented a 4-player demonstration of the campaign for Call of Duty: Black Ops III.
- David Vonderhaar (Design Director at Treyarch) presented a trailer for the Black Ops III multiplayer.
- Andrew House announced all Call of Duty map packs from this point forward will come to PlayStation first. Also, the Black Ops III multiplayer beta will come to PS4 first in August 2015.
- A montage of games coming to PS4 and PS Vita was shown.
- John Vignocchi (VP of Production at Disney Interactive) came on stage to announce a PlayStation-exclusive Star Wars Saga Starter Pack for Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition, which will also include an exclusive Boba Fett figure. He then showed a trailer for the Rise Against the Empire play set, which will be available a month earlier for PlayStation.
- Patrick Bach (General Manager at DICE) presented a trailer for the mission mode in Star Wars: Battlefront.
- Shawn Layden returned to the stage to thank everyone for coming to the event. Then, to end the show, he introduced a live, on-stage demo of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End played by Bruce Straley (Director at Naughty Dog).
Nintendo Digital Event
Tuesday, June 16 @ 9:00 AM PDT
- The who began with a video featuring Jim Henson puppets crafted in the likeness of Satoru Iwata (President & CEO of Nintendo), Reggie Fils-Aime (President & COO of Nintendo of America), and Shigeru Miyamoto (General Manager of Nintendo EAD). The puppets gradually morphed into Peppy Hare, Falco Lombardi, and Fox McCloud.
- The world premiere trailer for Star Fox Zero was shown, which led into an additional video featuring Shigeru Miyamoto discussing the inspiration behind the game.
- Reggie Fils-Aime spoke about the company's focus on expanding into new ventures like theme parks, mobile platforms (phones and tablets), and their new hardware codenamed NX.
- Karthik Bala (Co-Founder of Vicarious Visions) joined Reggie to announce a joint venture between Skylanders SuperChargers and amiibo.
- A world premiere trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, a 3-player co-op 3DS game, was shown. This was followed by a developer interview with Eiji Aonuma (Producer of The Legend of Zelda franchise) and Hiromasa Shikata (Director of Tri Force Heroes).
- Eiji Aonuma then announced the 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors, which carries a subtitle of "Legends," and features Tetra and The King of Red Lions from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker along with all the DLC from the Wii U version. Dated for Q1 2016.
- A world premiere trailer was shown for Metroid Prime: Federation Force, a multiplayer shooter for 3DS set in the Metroid Prime universe. Dated for 2016.
- A trailer for Fire Emblem: Fates (previously known as Fire Emblem If...) was shown. Dated for 2016.
- A Japanese trailer for Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem was shown.
- A new trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X was shown. Dated for December 4, 2015.
- A trailer for Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer was shown. Dated for September 25, 2015.
- A world premiere trailer for Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, a Wii U board game set in the Animal Crossing universe, was shown.
- Emi Watanabe (Software Planner) spoke about designing the yarn Yoshi amiibo and development of Yoshi's Woolly World. Dated for October 16, 2015.
- A trailer for Yo-kai Watch was shown.
- A world premiere trailer for Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, a mash-up of Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario, shown. Coming to 3DS in Spring 2016.
- A world premiere trailer for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash was shown. Coming to Wii U for Holiday 2015.
- Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka (General Manager of Nintendo EAD) discussed their history together designing Mario games and how that inspired Super Mario Maker.
- Reggie Fils-Aime closed the presentation with a montage of fans performing the Super Mario theme song.
Square Enix E3 Conference 2015
Tuesday, June 16 @ 10:00 AM PDT
Game Critic Awards
The Game Critics Awards are decided by an independent group of North American media outlets. They have selected the most promising games of each Electronic Entertainment Expo since 1998, and have thus become recognized as the most respected "Best of" awards that come out of the annual show. Games qualify for nomination by having hands-on playable versions of the game at the show.
Nominees for the 2015 Game Critics Awards were announced on June 30, 2015. Winners were announced on July 7, 2015.
Star Wars Battlefront led the nominations with six while Fallout 4 and Horizon: Zero Dawn both had four. Electronic Arts and Sony Computer Entertainment America led publisher nominations with eleven each. And, by platform, PlayStation 4 narrowly beat out Xbox One with 47 nominations.
Best of Show
Best Original Game
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Best Console Game
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Best Handheld Game
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Best PC Game
Best Action Game
Star Wars Battlefront
Best Action/Adventure Game
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Best Family/Social Game
Super Mario Maker
No Man's Sky
Best Online Multiplayer
Star Wars Battlefront
Best Racing Game
Need for Speed
Best Sports Game
Special Commendation for Graphics
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Log in to comment