After testing the waters with "E3 Live" at E3 2016, the twenty-third annual E3 was the first to offer entry to the public. On February 8, 2017, the ESA announced that they would sell 15,000 "consumer" badges beginning on February 13th. For $250 ($150 early pricing), buyers gained access to the show floor for all three days of E3 as well as a new "E3 Coliseum" where various panels were held (hosted by Geoff Keighley).
Giant Bomb @ E3 2017
Giant Bomb at Nite
Giant Bomb Presents
EA Play 2017
Saturday, June 10 - The Hollywood Palladium
- Andrew Wilson (EA CEO) started the show with a preview of Madden NFL 18's first-ever story mode called Longshot. (Trailer)
- Andrew Gulotta (Producer at DICE) introduced the next expansion for Battlefield 1, In the Name of the Tsar, which includes two night maps. (Trailer)
- Patrick Soderlund (EVP of EA Worldwide Studios) announced new championships for FIFA and Madden.
- The Men in Blazers took the stage to discuss the new features in FIFA 18 including the continuation of the story mode from last year. (Trailer)
- Marcus Nilsson (Executive Producer at Ghost Games) talked about what's new in Need for Speed Payback. (Trailer)
- Patrick Soderlund returned to announce a new EA Original, A Way Out, which is the next game from Hazelight. Josef Fares talked about the co-op story of the game. (Trailer)
- Patrick Soderlund announced a new team at EA called SEED, Search for Extraordinary Experiences Division. An elite team of developers that are designing new game ideas.
- A teaser trailer for Anthem was shown with a promise of a full reveal at the Microsoft briefing.
- Sean O'Brien (Executive Producer) spoke about how his team has spent two years overhauling the NBA Live franchise.
- Stephen Gibbons (Community Manager) gave a gameplay presentation of NBA Live 18.
- Sean O'Brien revealed a new story mode called "The One" which incorporates street ball and NBA league play into one career. (Trailer)
- Andrew Wilson spoke about EA's Play to Give charity program as well as new games coming to EA Access.
- Janina Gavankar (Commander Iden Versio in Star Wars Battlefront II) spoke about the story mode in the game that tells a tale between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens. (Trailer)
- John Boyega appeared via video to confirm his character Finn will appear in the free DLC along with Captain Phasma.
- A live demo of Assault on Theed, one of the multiplayer maps in Battlefront II, was shown.
Xbox E3 2017 Briefing
Sunday, June 11 - 2:00 PM PDT - The Galen Center
- The show began with a video presentation that revealed the new Xbox One X. (Trailer)
- Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox) introduced the Xbox One X as the most powerful console ever made and announced it would release on November 7, 2017.
- Kareem Choudhry (Director of Software Engineering) discussed the system specs and features of the Xbox One X.
- The world premiere trailer for Forza Motorsport 7 was shown.
- Dan Greenawalt (Creative Director at Turn 10 Studios) announced a deal with Porsche. The stage opened up to reveal the new Porsche 911 GT2RS, which had never been seen before.
- Shannon McIntosh & Verena Mei (Professional Drivers) gave two separate live demos of the game simultaneously.
- The world premiere trailer for Metro Exodus was shown.
- The world premiere trailer for Assassin's Creed Origins was shown.
- Jean Guesdon (Creative Director at Ubisoft) presented a first look at the gameplay in Assassin's Creed Origins.
- Brendan Greene (Creative Director at Bluehole Studio) announced Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is coming to Xbox One in 2017. (Trailer)
- A trailer for Deep Rock Galactic was shown.
- A trailer for State of Decay 2 was shown. Coming in 2018.
- A trailer for The Darwin Project was shown followed by a short demo shoutcasted by Jethro Tull.
- A trailer for Minecraft was shown.
- Lydia Winters (Brand Director at Mojang AB) announced cross-play between all platforms on Minecraft, new community servers, a free 4K update, and a new "Super Duper Graphics" update.
- The world premiere trailer for Dragon Ball FighterZ was shown. Coming in 2018.
- A trailer for Black Desert Online was shown.
- A trailer for The Last Night was shown.
- A trailer for The Artful Escape was shown.
- A trailer for Code Vein was shown. Coming in 2018.
- A trailer for Sea of Thieves was shown. Coming in 2018.
- A trailer for Tacoma was shown. Coming on August 2, 2017.
- The world premiere trailer for Super Lucky's Tale was shown. Coming on November 7, 2017.
- A trailer for Cuphead was shown. Coming on September 29, 2017.
- A trailer for Crackdown 3 featuring Terry Crews was shown. Coming on November 7, 2017.
- A montage of ID@Xbox games were shown including Osiris: New Dawn, Raiders of the Broken Planet, Unruly Heroes, Path of Exile, Battlerite, Surviving Mars, Fable Fortune, Observer, Robocraft, Dunk Lords, Minion Masters, Brawlout, Ooblets, Dark and Light, Strange Brigade, Riverbond, Hello Neighbor, Shift, and Conan Exiles.
- A trailer for Ashen was shown.
- The world premiere trailer for Life Is Strange: Before the Storm was shown. Coming on August 31, 2017.
- Michael de Plater (VP of Creative at Monolith Productions) presented a demo of Middle-earth: Shadow of War gameplay.
- The world premiere trailer for Ori and the Will of the Wisps was shown accompanied by Gareth Coker playing piano live on stage.
- Phil Spencer announced that original Xbox games will be coming to Xbox One Backwards Compatibility including Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.
- Phil Spencer announced that Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Killer Instinct, Halo Wars 2, Minecraft, and over thirty 3rd-party games will receive free enhancements for Xbox One X.
- Phil Spencer announced the Xbox One X will cost $499.99.
- Patrick Soderlund (EVP of EA Worldwide) introduced the world premiere trailer for Anthem. Coming in 2018.
The Bethesda E3 Showcase
Sunday, June 11 - 7:00 PM PDT - Dolby Theatre
Ubisoft E3 Media Briefing 2017
Monday, June 12 - 1:00 PM PDT - Orpheum Theatre
PlayStation E3 Media Showcase
Monday, June 12 - 6:00 PM PDT - Shrine Auditorium
Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017
Tuesday, June 13 - 9:00 AM PDT
Game Critic Awards
The Game Critics Awards are decided by an independent group of worldwide media outlets. They have selected the most promising games of each Electronic Entertainment Expo since 1998, and have thus become recognized as the most respected "Best of" awards that come out of the annual show. Games qualify for nomination by having hands-on playable versions of the game at the show.
Nominees for the 2017 Game Critics Awards were announced on June 27, 2017. Winners were announced on June 29, 2017. Leading the pack with four nominations each were Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Middle-earth: Shadow of War, and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Ubisoft Entertainment ran away with the most nominations as a company with fourteen. The next closest was Sony Interactive Entertainment America with seven.
Best of Show
Best Original Game
Best Console Game
Best PC Game
Best VR Game
Best Mobile / Handheld Game
- Astro A10 Gaming Headset - Astro
- DisplayLink XR - DisplayLink
- Logitech PowerPlay Mat - Logitech
- Razer Thresher Ultimate - Razer
Best Action Game
Best Action / Adventure Game
Best Family / Social Game
Best Fighting Game
Best Independent Game
Best Online Multiplayer
Best Racing Game
Best Role-Playing Game
Best Sports Game
Best Strategy Game
Log in to comment